advise on advertising?

Hi,

Im planning to advertise my hosting service, and need some advice from the pros to effectively advertise and not throwing away my money.

so far, i only have 2 plans.
    1. to bid for words on Overture: I think this is too costly?

2: I really want to advertise on here (WHT) but they are not accepting new advertisers at the moment, but can somebody give me a rough idea of their prices? and is it effective?

I read a post by puggy (of dot5hosting) saying its effective and brought in 50 signups, is it just dot5 or is this an average?

can you suggest any other ways to advertise?

Thanks.
    Banner Design - Professional Designs - 24hr Turn-Around Guaranteed - 20DollarBanners.com

Online Photo Editor
    Retouch or Add effects to your photos with 1 click

Different things work for different companies.

-Ezine ads can be good. If you do Solo ads. It's just a matter of finding the right ezines to place your ads in.

-Forums like this are ok too. There are lots of small forums associated with hosting, design etc.

-Sign up with linkshare. They will send specific customers to your site for the click throughs you give them.

-Unless you have amazing meta tags, then search engines won't fully do what you need. But you should still post with open directory project and yahoo, cause they register your account by human editors.

-Word of month is great. Local advertising is really good. (Friends, Family, affiliate program.)

-Those are a few. I don't know if it's what you are looking for but I hope that helps.

-Oh yeah almost forgot. Add a tag line. This is an example below.

I would not recommend overture. I dropped several hundred dollars there (I know, not alot) and didn't get a single signup.
    *AlphaOmegaHosting.Com* - Hosting since 1998
    Managed Dedicated Servers and VPS
    Hosted Exchange 2010 Email Service

I've tried overture too.

Lot's of clicks, no hits.

I don't know if anyone else has had luck, but not worth IMO.

But there are lots of payper click search engines other than Overture. Google is pretty good, but it can cost a lot.

But there are some smaller ones, that I have not used, but heard good things about. I just don't have the name off hand.

But a search for payper click search engines should pull some up.

Originally posted by dandanfirema
    I would not recommend overture. I dropped several hundred dollars there (I know, not alot) and didn't get a single signup.
    I spent $50 at overture and got 2 signups (i think it was from them ). the reason been i accidentally bid 20.00/click instead of 20cent.
    but i'll take your word for it...not going with them then

Thanks sphere. your information was relevant and informative.
    I'll try to search for web related sites to advertise. i do have a tag line. "High in quality. Low in Price" .

Regards
    Tuan
    Banner Design - Professional Designs - 24hr Turn-Around Guaranteed - 20DollarBanners.com

Online Photo Editor

I have another source of advertising, which is bringing some clicks, but no sign ups. Im hosting about 50 sites for this guy who registers expired domains, these sites uses around 10MB bw / month, so all up, it cost me 500MB bw. good deal, but no conversion

Online Photo Editor

I saw a site last week www.sponsormymelon.com . It seems to be down now!
    Basically...This guy is willing to have you company logo tattooed on his head for $50,000.... lol

I sent him an email telling him I was interested in advertising my new company called "I am a complete di**head" .

He never replied!!

I guess he left the door open for that one.

Originally posted by Eurofficial
    Basically...This guy is willing to have you company logo tattooed on his head for $50,000.... lol

I sent him an email telling him I was interested in advertising my new company called "I am a complete di**head" .

He never replied!!
    If you don't mean it. Don't offer it. That's my view on things.

_I forgot to mention banner ads, but make sure they are targeted. Test out a small quantity. Don't drop hundreads in one place. Do a bit here and there, see what works, then start plunking down the big bucks.

A lot of the bigger places that promise lots can work, but then they often get flooded with too many ads, then they become obsolete.

-Check around and see what's working for you. Not everything works for everyone.

-I hope you have some success with whatever you try.

He never replied!!
    FastWebHost.com - Business Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting & Fast VPS Hosting
    FastWebHost.in Best India Web Hosting Provider. India Web Hosting
    Hosting Websites Since 2002 in USA, EU, India and all over the world

If you don't mean it. Don't offer it. That's my view on things
    Eh...it was a joke!

Oh I know. But like I said.

Eh...it was a joke!
    If you don't mean it. Don't offer it.

We found google quite good. At least its pay per click and not view. Then again we don't sell anything so it was just to initially to get the site noticed. Worked too I think.

any one have good advice on wether to use local phone books or newspaper ads?
    IQ Studio
    www.IQStudio.net
    [email protected]
    Create.Design.Innovate

You can receive 1,000 popunder ad's placed on about 25-35 high-trafficed web sites.

It's been only 2 weeks and a few days since I tried this out. And I only have about 150 hits left.

For $6, I thought it was great just to try out. I'll be using it again, that's for sure.

www.popundertraffic.net

But what kind of traffic do you get?

There is traffic, and targeted trafic. Some websites just need visitors and it does not matter the variety.

Design and hosting sites, etc need pretty targeted traffic.
    Paying for pop unders and other ads are fine, but if you need targeted traffic that's where it get more tricky.

Still it sounds like you got a really good deal, and it was good of you to share it with the rest of us. (Who knows, it might well be worth a try.)

Re: advise on advertising?

Originally posted by Aplusmedia
    Hi,
    so far, i only have 2 plans.
    1. to bid for words on Overture: I think this is too costly?
    Thanks.
    Overture search terms of "web hosting" can easily run up to $5.00-10.00 for 1st position. It's not very affordable for smaller hosts.

But with all advertising, do track where your sales come from through a cookie.
    Web Hosting Stuff - Over 10,000+ Hosting Companies Listed
    http://www.webhostingstuff.com

Re: I guess he left the door open for that one.

Originally posted by sphere2

If you don't mean it. Don't offer it.
    true for Eurofficial but also (and to a greater extent?) true for the tattoo guy
    WYSIWYG