Thread: Netscape 7

Netscape 7

Has anyone tried it?

Not sure how long its been out but I finally got fed up of IE the other day so downloaded it. I'm very impressed too and certainly won't be going back to IE in a hurry
    Clook Internet - www.clook.net
    Fully managed UK based webhosting provider
    Est 2002, 24/7 phone support, all the bells and whistles!

Use Mozilla to get popup blocking and no AOL crap everywhere
    Get your web design questions answered: Web Design Forums at http://www.turtletips.com/forums/ ; vBulletin Board of the Month.

Iím using Net 7 because for some reason IE causes my computer to crash.

Anyway itís the best browser they have put out. I don't think I will go back to IE

It has a lot of interesting features I would give it a shot
    For a great new forum please click on my weblink.
    ALLWAYS LOOKING FOR MEMBERS
    VISIT ME AT
    http://www.jmdsforum.com

IE kept playing up with me whereby I'd use the scroll wheell to scroll down a page and it would go at snail speed... it never used to be like that. There were all sorts of other niggling issues that I just used to put up with in IE aswell.

In Netscape I especially like:

the tabbed browser windows within the same window,
    middle mouse button opens a new tabbed window behind the existing one,
    better favourites organisation,
    Google search intergration

I especially don't like:

the need to use some mouse driver software in the system tray just so I can use the scroll whell in Netscape

Overall though, 9/10

also try out opera, and mozilla...

I switched over to Netscape 7.0 a few weeks ago, main reason was Internet Explorer would take ages to open a new browser window. The latest Netscape is so good, I'm using it for everything. The mail client is great, the browser loads quick. Both AIM and ICQ are integrated. I won't be going back to IE either

Been using it since the 7.0PR1

I love it. Would use Mozilla but 1.0 did not have spell check sooooo.....

Regards,
    Michael
    <?
    header("Location: http://www.hostevolve.com/");
    ?>

Originally posted by michaeln
    Would use Mozilla but 1.0 did not have spell check sooooo.....
    People actually use those things?

Anywho...

I've never used Netscape since 4.x... Mozilla does the trick for me.
    -Bruce

ROFL

I love spell check.
    <?
    ?>

I never even knew there was a netscape 7..they are still developing netscape? LOL
    Multiple Image Corporation - http://www.multipleimage.com
    Diverse Solutions for Diverse Companies.
    Virtual, Dedicated & Colocated Hosting.

Can you run Mozilla and Netscape on the same computer??

The reason Im asking is I thought you could have problems runing the two on the same machine.

Anyone hear the same??

Thanks
    VISIT ME AT

http://techaholic.net/ns7.html

http://www.hmetzger.de/etips6.html

The above are w afew good links to tips and tricks for use with NS7/mozilla and yes you can run NS7 and Mozilla on one comp.

The ad blocker and pop-up blocker also works in NS7.

.edit. Heres another link for those who like to compare.

http://gamersdot.org/compare.html

Here are the links to more themes, in case you didn't know

http://themes.mozdev.org/
    YourCheapHost.com - Low cost multi domain hosting solutions. [Legal adult content friendly]
    Reliable web site hosting is our motto. We have Alertra stats to back that up.
    Proven provider of high quality shared and reseller accounts since 2002.

Originally posted by JMD
    Can you run Mozilla and Netscape on the same computer??

The reason Im asking is I thought you could have problems runing the two on the same machine.

Anyone hear the same??

Thanks
    Yes you can have mizilla and netscape on the same computer
    Multiple Image Corporation - http://www.multipleimage.com
    Diverse Solutions for Diverse Companies.
    Virtual, Dedicated & Colocated Hosting.

I thought (wished) netscape was dead

Tried the latest version, along with mozila.. I use mozila on my linux box, but when I'm on my windows machine nothing beats IE in terms of speed/memory usage.

Originally posted by JeremyV
    I thought (wished) netscape was dead

It isn't and theres a very good reason why it won't be dead or forgotten anytime soon.

It's a great browser and many that have used IE before this have switched over permanently. It's a sign of things to come.

YourCheapHost.com - Low cost multi domain hosting solutions. [Legal adult content friendly]

I've been using Mozilla 1.1 for a while now, and it just blows IE away It blocks unwanted popups, clears my cookies on exit, has tabbed browsing, has themes, doesn't have a track record of security holes (correct me if I'm wrong there), has usable IMAP support, etc. It definately has its share of problems all right (memory hog, no spell checker for mail/news, less stable than IE, bookmark sorting is whacked, some bugs in the mail & news prefs dialog), but overall I'll take it over IE any day

If you're confused about the relationship between Mozilla and Netscape, this should help: (copied from the Mozilla Release FAQ)
    What is the relation between Mozilla versions and Netscape versions?
    The current arrangement between Netscape (AOL) and the Mozilla project is that Mozilla develops its own releases, and when Netscape (AOL) is preparing to make a release, it takes the current version of Mozilla, makes modifications, and does its own QA. In return for this, Netscape (AOL) contributes developers to work on the project. The Netscape versions may have a different look/feel than Mozilla versions, and also may add proprietary features. The Netscape versions are all branded as Netscape (AOL) products.
    Basically, if you want to use any of the Netscape-specific features then just get it. Otherwise you're probably better off with the latest stable version of Mozilla.

JMD, I've had Netscape 4.x, 6+, and Mozilla on Windows 2000 here at the same time with no problems

Michael, I didn't know Netscape 6+ has a spell checker, thanks for the info. I wish I had known that when I was still using Mozilla for e-mail, I might have switched *smacks his head* Nothing beats Mulberry though (If you use IMAP, and especially multiple IMAP accounts, then run, do not walk, to Mulberry's site and try the demo today If you don't know what IMAP is, check out imap.org and imap.org's "What is IMAP? page too )
    Last edited by no1v2; 10-18-2002 at 07:59 AM.

For the person who asked about Mozilla/NS on the same computer. Yes it works. You can avoid problems by using seperate profiles for Mozilla and NS (people experience problems when using the same profile).

You can also run multiple versions of NS on the same computer. Makes it great for testing (unlike IE)...
    Colin

Installed mozzila. Its a lot like Netscape, but they have some very cool themes for it
    VISIT ME AT

I use mozilla on my linux partition and the only thing I don't like about it is the screen fonts. Is there any way to make them look better?
    Feelings are not tools for rational thought.

1 Word: Crazybrowser
    [url]I got nothing/url]

For clarity's sake, don't use "<ip address of hostname>" use the ACTUAL 32-bit numeric IP address of the machine.

MikeM, that looks like a very useful IE addon. I think I'll give it a try, even though I'll probably stick with Mozilla so I don't have to worry about IE's security problems.

Update: I'm now using Mozilla

I was 100% happy with Netscape but them it starting playing funny business where it wouldn't shut down properly and if I wanted to open it again I had to manyallu end the previous process.

I didn't really have much of a go at fixing it and thought I'd give Mozilla a try after hearing all the good things in this thread. I'm now happy

Originally posted by JMD
    Installed mozzila. Its a lot like Netscape
    It is Netscape. Mozilla is basically the backend of Netscape, several of the Mozilla developers are AOL employees. AOL takes Mozilla, tweaks it a little and calls it Netscape.

Same thing with Beonex...it is just Mozilla with a little better security options.

The layout engine for Mozilla is called Gecko, developed by mozilla.org. Mozilla, Netscape 6/7, and Beonex use Gecko for the webpage display and the entire user interface.

K-Meleon uses Gecko for webpage display only and uses its own code for the user interface. It is also still in beta (latest useable beta link available from the mailing list).

Phoenix still uses the Gecko engine for webpage display, but not the user interface I think (I'm not real clear on this). Lots of good word on this one even though it is still in alpha. Development is moving quite rapidly. I would bet money that Phoenix will be my default browser before the end of the year.... http://www.mozilla.org/projects/phoenix/

If you are using a Mac, you probably want Chimera. It uses the Gecko engine for webpage layout, but an Apple framework called Cocoa for the user interface.

The only annoying thing about Mozilla and its ilk that use the Gecko engine for the user interface is that delay for the Bookmarks to pop up after you click on the button the first time...so very slow. I understand that has something to do with the XUL code to create them...XML-based User Interface Language, I don't know though.
    Last edited by Lurker; 10-18-2002 at 07:36 AM.

West Virginia -- The largest unspoiled natural preserve in the Eastern US!
    Originally posted by michaeln
    Would use Mozilla but 1.0 did not have spell check sooooo.....
    Welp... here's how to install Netscape's spell checker in Mozilla!
    http://www.WVWebsites.com
    Web Design, Website / Linux Server Management Services, Search Engine Optimization

online - s'where between home & datacenter
    as this is Netscape 7 thread (I LIKE)... anywhere i can find themes, hacks, addons, plugins for Netscape 7?
    RockSolidHosting.US | reliable & affordable webhosting + domains
    Affordable shared / reseller hosting on Linux & Windows 2000
    Quality Bandwidth | 99.9% up | friendly support
    [Chat] yahoo: rshosting | AIM: rshos801 | [email protected] | ICQ: 219698679

I don't like netscape and never have.

First, its always been stupid at displaying webpages correctly. In all my webdesign experience netscape has been a serious pain.

It hogs memory and runs slow. Especially on older win 98 systems.

I just cant stand when I start working on a computer, type a web page up, and wait 45 minutes for the * thing to start. And I'm not sure why, because I use it so infrequently, but it seems like half of the peoples computers I work on with netscape pop a message up saying *site not found* and then when you click ok it loads the page right up...

Netscape is someting I find on peoples computers that also like things such as:

-Weather Bug
    -Bonzi Buddy
    -Precision Time Manager
    -McAfee oem v3
    -Comet Cursor
    -InternetBoost

Its just one of those things that just takes up space and resources!
    Jimmy

Thanks for that spell check link.
    <?
    ?>

Originally posted by merconline
    as this is Netscape 7 thread (I LIKE)... anywhere i can find themes, hacks, addons, plugins for Netscape 7?
    Read the first page of this thread, i posted a link to some themes. and also links to other worthy sites that should help you with customization.

Originally posted by JWB

-Weather Bug
    -Bonzi Buddy
    -Precision Time Manager
    -McAfee oem v3
    -Comet Cursor
    -InternetBoost

That's where you are wrong, stuff like comet cursor especially get installed ONLY by Internet Explorer when you visit a site that auto-installs it for you. And so are the rest, the only notorious thing Netscape 7 has is AIM, some phone chat software and not much more.

Also when was the last time you used Netscape? Was it version 7?

Originally posted by JWB
    I don't like netscape and never have.

First, its always been stupid at displaying webpages correctly. In all my webdesign experience netscape has been a serious pain.
    Translation: I am going to judge software by a version I used years ago and assume its still the same.

I guess you dont want to touch Mozilla than either, right?

Originally posted by JWB

-Weather Bug
    -Bonzi Buddy
    -Precision Time Manager
    -McAfee oem v3
    -Comet Cursor
    -InternetBoost
    Translation: I am going to judge software by the people's whose computers I find it on.

Well, also judge it by the overwhelming amount that use Mozilla under unix.

Originally posted by JWB
    Well get some real experience.

When you code for IE, of course it's not going to look good in NS. When you code with standards, or at least with both browsers in mind, it takes no effort to make a website work in NS. In my experience, standards-compliant websites render better in NS than IE.
    Colin