Thread: Site From home?

Site From home?

Hey all

Say i want to run a site from home and also a few sites for friends, what pc speed and connection speed you recommend? This is a curious question, as i was thinking oif doing it.

Any help??

Thanks

It all depends on what kind of sites it is, and how much traffic they get, if it's just static html pages, without much traffic you won't need the latest & greatest pc, or a big fat pipe, but if you use databases, and get a lot of visitors this could be an issue.

The problem with connection speeds you get home, is that they usually have a low upload speed, this is the bandwidth that matters most when hosting.
    http://TotalHosting.biz
    Affordable Hosting & Bulk Reseller accounts.

Ok, then would a phpbb forum on a 600K connection work, or should i go faster?

Thanks

It would function, but you might be better off with a business grade connection. (Of course they cost more--approx 130-300 a month depending on what kind of connection).

You will need either a static IP address, or Dynamic DNS service for your machine.

If you are using a Linux box, you will need less horsepower on your machine, however it will come at a cost of ease of use, ease of resources to help with problems. (Linux usergroups/lists/etc are notorious for having the worst of the worst, most immature, and downright Nasty users in the world. If you use linux, expect to either know all the answers yourself, or be hit with barrages of self-important people screaming "RTFM!" at you if you ask a question. Also, I have personally found there to be a lack of well-written Linux books out there to helpafter reading 3 different ones which told nearly nothing---"Running Linux", "The complete guide to Linux", and another title which eludes my memory.)

HOWever, once learned Linux is very powerfull and adaptable, and is very stable if configured right and maintained.

Win servers take more horsepower, but are easier to learn with and deal with (IMHO after having used both OS). Licenses can (If not found in the right places---such as used off ebay, etc) can cost an arm and a leg.

RAQ servers are just preconfigured Linux boxes in a rack sized piece of hardware.

Ive HEARD of Mac servers, never seen them, and after using the Mac OS I'm not wildly impressed. The exception being OS 10 which isnt even really a mac os, but its a Unix/Linux variant.

i would imagine you would be fine
    before i got into the business and was able to setup decent servers on a decent connection, i ran a number of sites from a cable connection

amd 350/384mb/10gb drive
    had about 4 sites on that sucker mail and all + webmail, and one site was running vbulletin

none of them had any MAJOR traffic, so the connection ran fine

i would imagine if this is just for personal use you should have no problem
    Complx Internet Services
    www.complx.net
    Hosting - Colocation - Domains - Dialup
    [email protected]