Hybrid Plans...?

I've noticed some talk about hybrid plans with both windows and unix. Are these plans truly hosted on separate boxes and then linked via cpanel? Or are they on the same box?

1)Is it possible all hosting is done on windows machines with an unix emulator like cygwin installed? Or if there's no shell access allowed, you could easily appear to have both environments since apache/mysql/php are cross-platform anyways.

2)Maybe they are all located on *nix box but they have windows emulations like Chilisoft Asp instead?

3)Do most of these hosts like hostopia and matrix allow users to register custom COM components or are you limited to just ASP script. COM is the only motivation I can see to windows servers anyways. After all, you work with the server through a control panel interface not the simple windows interface. There's not alot of difference between a unix control panel written in php and a windows control panel written in php.

If you mean matrixreseller.com yes we do allow users to register custom com's..

Regarding COM being the only motivation for Windows I'll just add that the .NET equivalent of a COM object is a ".NET assembly" and assemblies don't need to be registered.

Vortech -- I'm guessing that in line with backing ASP with COM objects, you support the upload of .NET assemblies and their use from ASP.NET and/or web services, correct?

Thx.
    fp

Yes we do support asp.net as well.