Hosting, Cron, Support and know-how

I'm always looking for reliable and knowledgeable hosting.
    My last two hosts told me cron jobs were unavailable "due to security", but I know that some of the best hosting companies will gladly do them for their customers.
    I've come to the decision that only the high-powered hosting companies can effectively host sites that need extra "power".
    Am I wrong?

The addage, "you get what you pay for" is as true for hosting as anything else. Why shouldn't it be? If you try to pay $10 - $20 per month, don't expect the world.

I am guessing that the reason you didn't go with one of the big hosts was because of price. You went the cheap route and now you are complaining?

Having said that, there are many hosts on this board that can beat someone like Verio hands down in terms of support and features (not even a contest). And considering that Verio charges a $30 setup fee + $45 a month for some of their plans, that's not bad.

There are certainly amateur and fly-by-night web hosts out there. Buying the namebrand of a host like Verio typically guarantees a certain level of service. If you don't buy into that and go the cheap route, you will have to put up with a few bad hosts before you find a good one (there are more bad than good).
    justin 'at' abrogo.com
    http://www.abrogo.com
    Shared Unix Hosting

What you say has already been a lesson to me, and I'm not kidding, a big lesson, one I'll never forget.
    However, I'm not asking for hosting, I'm stating that too many hosts give this explantion for cron jobs. I was sorta hoping for some hosts' reaction.

In that case, you might want to post this in the Technical & Security issues forum as it has nothing to do with programming. You might get a better response there.
    justin 'at' abrogo.com
    http://www.abrogo.com
    Shared Unix Hosting

Cron on a shared machine is a major nightmare in the hands of someone who doesn't know what they are doing.

The choices are A) make them submit the job for analysis B) Wait till they break something C) put them in a jailed environment D) Pray nothing happens.

Notice all involve some level of support, and that means money for salaries.

All I do is wholesale hosting for web designers & companies, so these guys pay a lot for us to run the box. (Most have tried to run there own box and don't want to any more.)
    Limited access for them, we handle all the sys admin chores including cron and they pay us enough to do it.

I had a situation yesterday with an ISP we do the ~ sites for. He wanted cgi access so the dialup users "could learn cgi programming". And was upset when I quoted him for a managed box. No way on earth I'm letting a dialup user learn cgi on any of my boxes.

Bottom line on shared is the boxes house too many people to be jeapordized by one.

One Hosting Guys Opinion
    GUI admin tools have no honor. It is a good day to vi.