Automatic Signups/Manual Account Activations

For some reason, I feel much more comfortable manually setting up my customers' accounts. Actually, I do have some reasons for thinking so any time, and also, there could always be problems with a placed order. Therefore, manually activating accounts seems to be the safest way to go. I've never actually used an automatic account activation script, so I don't know how well they work.

Any comments on this? What do you guys/gals prefer?

(Yes, I know most [if not all] web hosting prospects prefer the automatic account activation. No more waiting hours for some kind of confirmation .)

Matt De Leon
    GreekComm - http://www.greekcomm.com/
    Online Community for Greek Fraternities and Sororities.

Manual All the way.

We use to setup account automatically and there was not a single time an issue was not caused. I think unless you have everything programmed yourself which you can completely integrate into eachother automatic account setups wouldnt be a good idea.

Regards,

We manually add all accounts as well

And so do we. I think you might have more problems then it is worth trying to automate you system. Plus, by doing the process manually, it gives you a chance to check out an account if the address or something looks suspicious…
    Jim
    Quality Web Hosting - Reseller Accounts at an Affordable Price!
    http://www.cyberland-usa.com

I prefer the automatic way at the moment. We get the odd glitch here and there but only the odd mistake here and there and it can be easily fixed. I check each activated account and make sure that things are ok. The main reason I like it is because the customer is good to go once they are taken back to the thankyou page.
    -- Matthew

Re: Automatic Signups/Manual Account Activations

Originally posted by smidwap
    For some reason, I feel much more comfortable manually setting up my customers' accounts. Actually, I do have some reasons for thinking so any time, and also, there could always be problems with a placed order. Therefore, manually activating accounts seems to be the safest way to go. I've never actually used an automatic account activation script, so I don't know how well they work.

Any comments on this? What do you guys/gals prefer?

(Yes, I know most [if not all] web hosting prospects prefer the automatic account activation. No more waiting hours for some kind of confirmation .)

I put together a system that's sort of a hybrid of both. It puts the customer information into a queue to be created, allowing us to traceroute ip's and do whois' on domains at a touch of a button. Then if things check out, all we have to do to create the account is hit a button. This allows us to screen for fraud and potential trouble and still have some of the benefits of automatic creation.

Re: Re: Automatic Signups/Manual Account Activations

Originally posted by lightnin

I put together a system that's sort of a hybrid of both. It puts the customer information into a queue to be created, allowing us to traceroute ip's and do whois' on domains at a touch of a button. Then if things check out, all we have to do to create the account is hit a button. This allows us to screen for fraud and potential trouble and still have some of the benefits of automatic creation.
    care to share ur setup?

The system we built does all the traces, proxy checks, IP vs. billing address checks, etc, and only if everything looks good does the account get created. Otherwise, we show them a message that says please fax your picture ID and signed copy of our terms and we will activate your account. It's taken a year or so of fine tuning, but it's right 95% of the time now. On a busy day we get too many signups to mess with manual creation anyway.
    John Masterson
    Former Hosting Company Owner

Re: Re: Re: Automatic Signups/Manual Account Activations

Originally posted by rlynch

care to share ur setup?
    It will be made available in the fairly near future. That's just a small part of it. The system is very involved and really streamlines a lot of stuff. The plan has been all along to release it, but not until we reach version 1.0 or later, which at this point, looks like a few months away. There's an enormous amount of work that's gone into it and still a lot more kinks to iron out.