Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question How To Convince Parents...

People usually ask this question:

'How do we convince that paying online with credit card through PayPal is a safe thing to do?'

Most parents answer 'Well I don't think it's safe, I mean something could happen and we could go bankrupt!"

I experinced this when I was a kid (14) and I was wondering if anyone has the answer to how to convince them? I mean we get so attached to hosting and having your own website, you really want to buy a domain and hosting, but then comes your parents... .

One of my thoughts was that parents back in the dayz didnt trust alot in computers or they just dindt go on alot so they dindt know much what's going on. Then you try to convince them but you just can't do it >>> <<<

I really have no answer...whats your answer? If your parents let you at first when you asked, don't botther POSTING please. So what's the answer to the question above? And is it safe? *sigh* -_-'

Most kids find it easier to spend someone else's money. When you're the one responsible for paying the bills, it's different. After what I have read here about some webhosts I would be very wary of giving them my credit card number. Let alone allow my kid to give it out to some unknown fly-by-night web monkey.

Learn some independance. Find a host who will take a certified check by mail and begin that way. That will also help you develop a track record for being a reliable customer.
    Feelings are not tools for rational thought.

* ?????

Originally posted by Lamont
    Most kids find it easier to spend someone else's money
    Learn some independance. Find a host who will take a certified check by mai
    Yes most kids find their independence, as in more to active playing. But as they grow and move on to high school, they think what they want to be and start getting close on to the Web.
    host who will take check by mail
    << true most people do that too, but mosts host don't accept, and the ones that do.... uNlImItEd . At least most of them are.

Re: ?????

Originally posted by Invision

Yes most kids find their independence, as in more to active playing. But as they grow and move on to high school, they think what they want to be and start getting close on to the Web. << true most people do that too, but mosts host don't accept, and the ones that do.... uNlImItEd . At least most of them are.
    Well, I consider myself being a good host and I do accept Money Orders and Checks, and No, I am not unlimited

So far, I did not have any probelms with people paying me by check, so I do not see it as a problem.

If your that set on using a credit card. You can talk to your parents about getting a $125.00 limit card or lower.
    If something does go aray this would help prevent hugh charges.
    eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwww it's broke

This had been discussed before, many decent hosts here accept checks. Reseller accounts are a different story, you may need to pay in advance or use a card.

Re: Re: ?????

Originally posted by AceWeb

Well, I consider myself being a good host and I do accept Money Orders and Checks, and No, I am not unlimited

So far, I did not have any probelms with people paying me by check, so I do not see it as a problem.
    Well I've been looking for a host, I'll keep you in mind if you don't charge too much.

Re: Re: Re: ?????

Well I've been looking for a host, I'll keep you in mind if you don't charge too much.
    Sure. Use any of the means below to contact me if you have any questions.

Good Luck.

There are things like Visa Buxx that parents can get for their kids, and let the minors put their own money on it, so if they want to risk it, they can....

I know I would defintely put more money into web hosting if I knew I wouldn't have to convince my parents. If I go onto Amazon.com I know the password, but if I wanted a domain from Stargate they'd look at the website for 20 minutes and they'd put in the order stuff.

Tell me about it.

Originally posted by The Prohacker
    There are things like Visa Buxx that parents can get for their kids, and let the minors put their own money on it, so if they want to risk it, they can....
    Tell me about it... ? WHats this Visa..BUXX

Owned by Visa and affiliates... www.visabuxx.com, sort of like a debit card, but for kids and a little more safe. Your parents prepay Visa a certain amount, and kids can use their Visa Buxx card or number on any website or store that accepts normal Visa cards, over 35 million places. It's intresting, but your parents still need to give you the responsibility.

Re: Tell me about it.

Tell me about it... ? WHats this Visa..BUXX
    http://www.visabuxx.com/

Still, you need to have your parents approve it.

Re: Re: Tell me about it.

Originally posted by AceWeb

http://www.visabuxx.com/

Still, you need to have your parents approve it.
    For the financial institution, what if you live in Canada and it's not listed there.

Re: Re: Re: Tell me about it.

For the financial institution, what if you live in Canada and it's not listed there.
    Hi,
    I am not sure, I do not know much about them. Try to call them / e-mail them and ask them.

Arrow

The VisaBuxx program is currently available to US residents only.

However, I've heard that some financial institutions within Canada are planning to offer something similar, not any time soon though.

Originally posted by Synthetic
    The VisaBuxx program is currently available to US residents only.

However, I've heard that some financial institutions within Canada are planning to offer something similar, not any time soon though.
    Ya I've been expecting that. I'm gave them a call but all their lines were busy I'll try later. I don't think in Canada they have this thing, unless I heard AOL has something liek that.

When I was 15, I got a checking account that also had my mother's name on it. It was tied to a savings account so it could never be overdrawn, and it also allowed me a Visa debit card I could use on the Internet like a credit card. It worked great for me because you can't spend money you don't have. I still prefer that to a credit card.
    Last edited by Olivia; 10-15-2002 at 09:44 PM.

I just asked my dad, he didnt ask anything he just said yes... well, hopefully now in some years after my first time (14), he trusts me , and soon i will get my own credit card and stuf...

Well I have already my debt car, but that doesn't mkae a difference. I can use my credit card too. Too bad when at a younge age I couldnt.

I know people who wouldn't use a cedit card on line but blithely hand over their details to a stranger on the phone

weird

I got a bank account

Signed up for paypal and connected it with my bank account

Then asked my brother if I could use his cc and I explained why I needed it.

Then paypal gave me a credit card!

Simple eh? Not quite But that has worked for me so far.

PayPal acceptts debit right...

Of course... The thing I always find funny is that I give my credit card out on the net all the time, never have a trouble - its all in picking the right merchants. I know the industry, so picking merchants that I trust is easy for me.

Something I have a hard time with is using my card at retail stores. Having some random 16-year old taking my credit card number and having access to it really scares me. Also the fact that those receipts are often thrown out - the laws in Canada say you have to retain them seven years, but not many businesses do.

A lot of people have found garbage bags full of paper-work - including hundreds of CC numbers/expiration dates/signatures at gas stations, super-markets, etc.

THAT is what scares me - when you give your card out to any business on the street. Shopping online I feel a lot more secure about - again, its all in picking the right merchants.
    Travis Doherty
    Web Hosting Services
    http://www.referable.com/

www.visabuxx.com
    I have one, parents got it for me. Works like a credit card, but you only can spend the amount you have in your account. I pay them 20 bucks, they put the 20 bucks in the account. I use it mainly for gas, I don't like going in all the time .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast