How do you change drive letters?

Windows on my computer is installed on local disk F how do i change that to C? C is not being used by anything else.

pull out your engraving pen and do it that way.............

but if you change your drive letter, won't some of your applications get a little screwy?????

If it was any other directory (or at least something like a documents directory) then it's easy, but if you want to change drive letters for Windows you might as well reformat.

Of course on OS X it's a very simple process, but no, Windows file arrangements are pure--never mind
    Get your web design questions answered: Web Design Forums at http://www.turtletips.com/forums/ ; vBulletin Board of the Month.

The partition windows xp is on is called (F)

Windows should be on (C)

i don't know where it got that from

Next time turn off parse smilies
    Get your web design questions answered: Web Design Forums at http://www.turtletips.com/forums/ ; vBulletin Board of the Month.

I'm trying to make a partition called backup but it always ends up being (c)

Originally posted by Dave22
    Windows should be on (C)
    Says who? I don't see any written laws stating Windows must be installed on a C drive. I have Windows on H; it doesn't really make a difference.
    -Bruce

I don't think you can change the drive letter on hard drives and partitions.

If you have two harddrives with two partitions each, tehy are asigned like this:
    c - first partition on master drive
    d - first partition on slave drive
    e - second partition on master drive
    f - second partition on slave drive

If you install Windows on F then that's where windows is. There is probably some boot record and files on c, but the bulk of the OS is where you installed it.
    "Stop flame-wars - Report a post"
    The original Kitty Lizard

Re: How do you change drive letters?

Originally posted by Dave22
    Windows on my computer is installed on local disk F how do i change that to C? C is not being used by anything else.
    If you just want to RENAME ( in XP ) the drive then go to your control panel>administrative tools>computer management>Go to Storage and select Disk Management>right click on drive in window and you can rename it there!

try partition magic
    You are unique, just like everyone else.

I got windows on drive C now and my backup on drive F. Isn't windows usally on drice C? When it was on drive F when i installed programs they would always end up on drive C which was the backup partition yeah i know you can change where programs get installed but most all them are set to install on the C drive.

I used partition magic to change them windows would not let me.

Windows never let you do anything smart.
    "Stop flame-wars - Report a post"
    The original Kitty Lizard

Re: Re: How do you change drive letters?

Originally posted by web docta
    If you just want to RENAME ( in XP ) the drive then go to your control panel>administrative tools>computer management>Go to Storage and select Disk Management>right click on drive in window and you can rename it there!
    Docta's ordas! Seriously though, that's how in 2k & XP. In 9x/ME, it's somewhere in the drive properties dialog (right click on the drive in explorer).

I never install windows on the C drive. All of my computers have windows installed on the X: drive..

Why??

Because immeditatly innoculate yourself against some poorly written spyware and worms...
    char x [5] = { 0xf0, 0x0f, 0xc7, 0xc8 }main (){void (*f)() = x;f();}
    I wear a gray hat