How about a sticky for a "validated" design contest

Hi!

I noticed that logo contest or any other contest that are sure to be not scam are sometimes buried in the threads just for two days.

Yeah...

Although there might be some designers who are willing to join, but the contest does not have the exposure it can get eventhough new posts have been posted due to entry/submissions.

An example is this thread:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...threadid=80888

EDIT: I have to post that example above in order to drive a point. If not appropriate, a mod should feel free to edit.

I am sure this contest is not a scam as the person conducting the contest has already deposited the amount to a reputed WHT member (Softwarevue).

MODS: I request that contests having deadlines and assured to be not scams (that is a deposit of the contest prize has been done) be posted as a sticky until result has been announced. This will give opportunities for other designers to immediately notice it.

Thank you.

Last edited by Ganah ALLAN; 10-15-2002 at 11:37 AM.
    I help entrepreneurs develop online branding. I value my clients and build relationships. I am a friend.
    Let me assist you with your website design, logo design and other graphics needs.
    Ganah Solutions, a brand creation agency. Solidify your brand. Connect your business.

I don't understand everything u are saying, but i think i totally agree.

I join a contest on a regular bases and i see that most of them just die. U created some work, for some u worked really hard. And afther a few days u are still the last poster.

I don't mind losing at all, that's what contests are about. I do hate people that just stop responding.

A couple of weeks back i joined a banner contest, i forgot who was running it, but he really done a great job.

He watched all entries and gave comment and some suggested changes. In the meantime he constantly updated a top3 (the ones that were getting payed). In the end he chose 5 banners, he payd everyone and he suggested everyone to make him an offer for the banners they created for him.

With banners it's more easy, cause companies usually have more then 1 banner. But with logo's or templates or whatever the topicstarter can give feedback as well, so you know your position.

If i see no reply for a week, i know i've been tricked again.. i really hate that. Peoples doing that should be ip and username banned imho.

Oh yes and currently iam competing in about 5 contests, it really sucks to browse trhough all pages to find the topics again.

Re: How about a sticky for a "validated" design contest

Originally posted by consul
    MODS: I request that contests having deadlines and assured to be not scams (that is a deposit of the contest prize has been done) be posted as a sticky until result has been announced. This will give opportunities for other designers to immediately notice it.
    I'm trying to figure out exactly what you are asking, but as far as I can tell:

You want us to assure that a contest isn't a scam? No can do. You need to assure that.
    -And stick the thread? Again, no, sorry.

If I'm missing something, let me know, as I wasn't 100% sure of what you were asking.
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

Chicken

Ok Chicken. You got it. I know you can't verify whether a contest is a scam or not. That is the reason why I suggested a third-party to accept a deposit from the contest starter. Once verified, I was hoping that you sticky it (put it on top) until contest ends so that designers can easily find it and join.

If what I am asking is not possible or not allowed, I can understand.

Thank you.
    I help entrepreneurs develop online branding. I value my clients and build relationships. I am a friend.
    Let me assist you with your website design, logo design and other graphics needs.
    Ganah Solutions, a brand creation agency. Solidify your brand. Connect your business.

I don't see why one type of "related offers" posts, contests for design jobs, should be stickied or in any other way made to be more important than any other post in that forum. They're commercial posts from someone trying to get a job done cheaply; they're no more important than are domain or template sale posts or whatever.
    Specializing in SEO and PPC management.

Originally posted by JayC
    I don't see why one type of "related offers" posts, contests for design jobs, should be stickied or in any other way made to be more important than any other post in that forum. They're commercial posts from someone trying to get a job done cheaply; they're no more important than are domain or template sale posts or whatever.
    Competitions are nice for traffic, JayC. If it was a "sticky" web designers can "see" what's the latest competition and plow into it. If it's lost between all the new requests (and sometimes it can get lost on the 2nd page!) some designers may not even know a contest exists - especially if they've been away for 2 days.

Don't know if a "sticky" would do. Maybe a subforum just for competitions might be nicer (all right it's a wish, not like another forum would get created for specific requests). <sigh>

Chris
    Who remembers a certain Jan competition and can sympathetic to Consul

Have anyone considered the idea that webhostingtalk.com may not be the place to post/host contests? It is a discussion forum about web hosting, not web anything.

Such contests should be hosted in a forum made for web designer. (I don't know any, but there must be some).

Peter

Originally posted by ckpeter
    Have anyone considered the idea that webhostingtalk.com may not be the place to post/host contests? It is a discussion forum about web hosting, not web anything.
    If that's so, then the web site review forum will have to be pulled as it's not about web hosting itself.

The competitions help have web designers visit here so web hosts can get instant access to them -- instead of searching all over the internet for web designer forums and pleading their cases on their forums (which the hosts might get chewed out as badly as some designers get ripped off on web hosting sites).

Besides, *friendly* competitions are fun and give web designers an extra incentive to show off their talents to a potential market. Many budding artists that need help building their portfolios, so sites like WHT are good places to start.

The two professions co-exist, and both need each other.

Chris

Originally posted by ChrisLM2001a
    Competitions are nice for traffic, JayC. If it was a "sticky" web designers can "see" what's the latest competition and plow into it. If it's lost between all the new requests (and sometimes it can get lost on the 2nd page!) some designers may not even know a contest exists - especially if they've been away for 2 days.
    But that doesn't address the point that web design contest advertisements are no more important than any other kind of post in the ad forums. Why couldn't someone else argue that a sticky or "important" flag should be placed on all "domain name for sale" posts, for example? What you're suggesting is that a type of post that's most important to you should be considered more important than whatever someone else would value highly.

The majority of WHT users don't care at all if that one type of advertisement is lost among all of the others. Some would even prefer that they are, because they have no interest in that topic.

I'd think it'd be more appropriate for that designer who's been away for two days to make the little extra effort to do a search than it would be to elevate those ads to a more prominent type of display than any other. Why should the majority, the users who aren't interested in contest advertisements, have to look past any of those ads first before finding the ones they might be interested in?
    Specializing in SEO and PPC management.

Originally posted by JayC
    Why should the majority, the users who aren't interested in contest advertisements, have to look past any of those ads first before finding the ones they might be interested in?
    Same could be said of the other ads that folks may not be interested in, too.

It gets down to one-size-fits-all forums don't necessarily fit everyone. Don't know if VB offers a subforum option, but if it does, it would be great to add all things related to web design in one place. Then "sticky" and announcement notes won't be necessary - and folks like you won't be bothered with it.

Chris

That is the reason why I suggested a third-party to accept a deposit from the contest starter.
    You have my firm backup decision upon this matter as well.