UnitedColo dedicated box or RackShack Raq?

Hi, i need to get a server REALLY soon and im only have under $100. My two possibilities are to go with UnitedColo with there $99 deal. the downside to their deal is they are using bad BW and they use IBM drives which are known to be dodgy.

I have also looked at rackshack's RaQ's... Thats all they have left. I hear good things abotu them but im not sure about a 450Mhz processor and 256MB ram?

Could this handle up to 50 sites?

i dont know who to go with! Who would you recomend?

if those sites are huge sites with a lot of visitors (VB with 1000's of users) then i guess it is a bad solutions but for average sites RAQ's are ok.

Well, I got a RaQ 4i at RS and they are pretty alright for me but then again, I am hosting some 10 sites.

It all depends on how active your sites are and whether you need a lot of scriptings or something.
    http://www.batchimage.com - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions

and one more thing if you are not so familiar with Linux (newbie) then RAQ may be what you are looking for. (to start out)

If there is anyway you could wait until later this week, RS will be offerring 600 new servers that are more powerful than the RAQ's.
    Signature SPAM

Re: UnitedColo dedicated box or RackShack Raq?

Originally posted by AndrewG
    Who would you recomend?
    I won't make an outright recommendation, but look at it this way -

Rackshack is a known quantity - they have a verifiable track record, and have firmly established a decent reputation for themselves.

United Colo, on the other hand, has only been around for a short time. More importantly though, they use deceptive marketing tactics, and are prone to lying when it suits them (see the uptime fiasco of a week or two ago).

Of the two, I know who I'd go with...

-Bob

Originally posted by Xenos
    If there is anyway you could wait until later this week, RS will be offerring 600 new servers that are more powerful than the RAQ's.
    Kewl! Thanks for the info. I must have missed out on that piece of news.
    http://www.batchimage.com - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions

I saw HeadSurfer either post it here or on the RS forums. Think I actually saw it on both
    Signature SPAM

Thanks, I will go scan for it. Not sure how that escape me.

Also check back frequently during the day. Yesterday there was a Celeron 1.3 with unmetered 10mbps. A Raq 4i1 with 2x hard drives. It changes often. If you see something you want don't think about it... it will be gone a little later.

I wish they'd put the quantities that actually aren't 0 in a different color. Hard to pick out the non-'0' items sometimes.
    Lagniappe Internet L.L.C. - Wholesale Reseller and VPS Hosting.
    Lagniappe (lan-yap) - An extra or unexpected gift or benefit.
    HostEntrepreneur - Hosting news, reviews, tips, tricks, help and the occassional rant

we keep about 80 sites per RaQ that we manage and everything is fine with those, but we have moved to plesk servers now and there is a big difference. I guess the best way to say it is that "yes, it will hold 50 domains, as long as they are not too big"
    Humpty Dumpty was Pushed!
    Ping! Zine A New Web Hosting Magazine for today's Hosts www.pingzine.com

If you can possibly wait to get a PIII or P4 server from RackShack that would be the way to go. Also consider fasterservers.net and send them an email and see if they might be able to get you a box.
    Dedicated Servers at Steadfast Networks and Softlayer : Virutal Hosting at FutureQuest : VPS at FutureHosting

Question

um... don't you mean http://www.fastservers.net/
    --
    Speckz

Yup - thanks Speckz for catching the typo.

Also RackShack is supposed to have some P4 2.0 Ghz Compaq/HP servers with an 80 GB hard drive and 512 ram for $129/month and those might be worth waiting for (if they're real servers and not desktops). Apparently a truck load has been delivered to RackShack and they will start deploying them soon.
    Dedicated Servers at Steadfast Networks and Softlayer : Virutal Hosting at FutureQuest : VPS at FutureHosting

Available right now!!!

Intel Celeron 1.3 512MB 60GB 400GB Ensim Details $1.00 $99 1

Originally posted by WebHozt
    Available right now!!!

Intel Celeron 1.3 512MB 60GB 400GB Ensim Details $1.00 $99 1
    hehe not anymore theres only raqs besides with only 1 its would of been gone long before he would of read this post ;p
    C Code. C code run. Run, code, run...
    Segmentation fault (core dumped).. aww sh!t

actually i did get the box

60GB HDD/ 400GB BW for $105

So therefore i dont need to ask this question, thanks people. Rackshack all the way

Unbelievable! Now wheres my $99 sourcing commission?

Originally posted by AndrewG
    actually i did get the box

60GB HDD/ 400GB BW for $105

So therefore i dont need to ask this question, thanks people. Rackshack all the way