What is the success of vBulletin

Hi,

I know vBulletin is popular, but what is the reason of it's succes? Is it the design, or the speed of the database (of which I heard it isn't the fastest possible), the price, the technique of something else?

Thank you in advance,

Jacco

speed, usability... more features and fewer amount of bugs compared to the other free boards...

It's so popular because it's so popular, like Coke and Pepsi etc.

So it gets to be the default board for most people. Why look for other boards when you can use the board most others are useing?

I do use vB by the way and like it, but not a fanatic about any board in particular.

Usability - agree, but speed
    I think vb most slow and bulky forum engine. Maybe in v3 something changes, but 2.x.x family code is very terrible.
    We value support and network performance.
    http://skyhost.biz

Personally I would choose it because of the awesome admin interface. If you have a really busy forum all the options make it 100x easier to maintain. I for one have not seen really anything that comes close to it.. on the free end I would prob pick phpbb2 or invision.

I recently (sort of) hacked it (backend-code-wise, not h4x0r ). It's a very powerful back-end. The editing was extremely easy. And the template system pwns you.
    Get your web design questions answered: Web Design Forums at http://www.turtletips.com/forums/ ; vBulletin Board of the Month.

Originally posted by skyhost
    Usability - agree, but speed
    I think vb most slow and bulky forum engine. Maybe in v3 something changes, but 2.x.x family code is very terrible.
    Then why does nearly every single very heavily trafficked forum use vB? forums.winamp.com, the developers of UT2k3, Flashkit...
    Get your web design questions answered: Web Design Forums at http://www.turtletips.com/forums/ ; vBulletin Board of the Month.

Originally posted by filburt1
    Then why does nearly every single very heavily trafficked forum use vB? forums.winamp.com, the developers of UT2k3, Flashkit...
    filburt1 as I say - usability.
    We value support and network performance.
    http://skyhost.biz

usability and because it was one of the first high-end php/mysql solutions. The standard was UBB back when perl was king.. but once vb came out, that changed a lot.

But now that ubb offers a php/mysql solution, I find that to be much better in terms of speed and reliability and it is much easier on system resources. The only drawback is that it is fairly new and the interface isn't your standard cartoonish vb/phpbb/ubb look, so it takes people a little longer to get used to it.

But after running many different forums over the years (phpbb, invisionboard, vb, ubb (perl) and ubb (php/sql)) the new UBB.Threads beats them all in almost everything. The admin interface is excellent and easy to use, the template system is incredible and easy to work with, and most importantly, my bandwidth and server loads have cut at least in half, even with more users.

The only thing is my users had a bit of trouble w/o those big reply and post icons and all the graphical trinkets, but IMO it is extremely streamlined and professional. But, it costs more as well

So for free boards, I would recomend phpBB.
    For sites catered for internet dummys, vbulletin, as long as speed isn't a critical issue and you don't mind the standard "look" of it
    And for fast and clean and feature full.. UBB.Threads

Of course, that's only my opinion

For price, vB owns UBB. $85 for a year, or $160 to keep it.

vB is first BEST php forum with most features, speed, and easy to use
    Orlando Magic--> 05-06 CHAMPS

Originally posted by OKIHost
    Personally I would choose it because of the awesome admin interface. If you have a really busy forum all the options make it 100x easier to maintain. I for one have not seen really anything that comes close to it.. on the free end I would prob pick phpbb2 or invision.
    Yep, it's got a great donkey (backend). I've played around with some other boards a long time ago, and it couldn't do what we need it to do here (at least). I'm guessing they've improved things, however vbull is ready to go, out of the box. I don't know about the others anymore.
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

Chicken

Now if only you'd upgrade to 2.2.8...

Hi,
    I would like to ask a newbee question:
    I still have no experience with building discussion boards.
    I noticed that FrontPage has a discussion board feature.
    Why is this not mentioned as a viable option in this thread?
    Thanks for any reply

Originally posted by Gil1
    Hi,
    I would like to ask a newbee question:
    I still have no experience with building discussion boards.
    I noticed that FrontPage has a discussion board feature.
    Why is this not mentioned as a viable option in this thread?
    Thanks for any reply
    The feature in Frontpage is just a very limited simple board. If you want a good admin of the board than you need to buy/download software especcially made for the purpose of running a forum. So that's why vBulletin is such a success, it is solely made for this forum purpose and has a lot of great functions to run a proper board.

I hope this explains it!

Jacco

Re: What is the success of vBulletin

Originally posted by Blikje
    I know vBulletin is popular, but what is the reason of it's succes?
    I'm not sure...we can't give it away right now.

Gary

Re: Re: What is the success of vBulletin

Originally posted by Editor

I'm not sure...we can't give it away right now.

Gary
    And you run a site about feedback

Originally posted by filburt1
    I recently (sort of) hacked it (backend-code-wise, not h4x0r ). It's a very powerful back-end. The editing was extremely easy. And the template system pwns you.
    i wrote a script for a dj dude that "hacked" it. You're right the template system is awesome. Unique never seen anything like it to this day.
    -Robert Norton
    www.SophMedia.com

Re: Re: Re: What is the success of vBulletin

Originally posted by Blikje
    And you run a site about feedback
    Sorry, I meant we can't give away a copy we have offered for free.

Gary

I hate VB, I like invisionboard the best ... has the same options and is better writen .. ( invisionboard.com )

thats what i think..

PS...... it's free

I agree,

I think vbulletin is 1 of the BEST applications to use for a site like this,mauisun,id-discussions,etc.......

This 1 is the best......Funny enough,i see more sites using VBULLETIN than any other,so.........

The Dude

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!