Thread: Image slicing?

Question Image slicing?

I have been looking at several posts on this site and I see that lots of designers use a picture format for their sites. I was wanting to do this instead of frames. How do you slice the picture so it doesn't take as long to load? Is there a particular program you like and why? I have Paint Shop Pro. It is extremely user friendly and I have made great images with it. I also have Adobe Photoshop, but I haven't played with it much. Any information would be helpful.

Thanks,

Troy
    Chewy Web Hosing & Design
    Last edited by Chicken; 10-14-2002 at 03:10 PM.

My information:
    Start playing with photoshop/imageready.

Originally posted by PWH_anthony
    My information:
    Start playing with photoshop/imageready.
    I agree, however remember that it's only half the technique. Practice replacing parts of the slice with tables or more preferably CSS where you can do so and save on the load time. For instance, you can do this where parts of the design are 1 colour and rectangular. Use links and/or text if the links/text on your image can be subsituted, etc.

Photoshop gets my vote. - Excellent program.

Regards

I'm not sure slicing an image actually makes the page load faster, I just think it is sort of like an optical illusion to the viewer. Images will load quicker (but there are more images), so it will look like the page is loading quicker. I think....
    Matt De Leon
    GreekComm - http://www.greekcomm.com/
    Online Community for Greek Fraternities and Sororities.

Re: Image slicing?

Originally posted by chewyman
    I have been looking at several posts on this site and I see that lots of designers use a picture format for their sites. I was wanting to do this instead of frames.
    Pictures instead of frames? What you mean?
    Thanks,
    Troy
    Chewy Web Hosing & Design
    Web what?

Originally posted by smidwap
    I'm not sure slicing an image actually makes the page load faster, I just think it is sort of like an optical illusion to the viewer.
    In part it's the 'illusion of load' but you can reduce the overall file size quite a bit if you know what you're up to. Using repeating backgrounds to fill solid areas (or just good old hex codes). Also making 'plainer' parts into gifs, and more complex areas of the image into jpgs as both hold their information differently. On a good day you should be able to halve the download size if not more.

Greg Moore
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

ImageReady is my tool of choice when it comes to image slicing.
    -Bruce

Have to agree with you there. I used to swear by Fireworks, but I'm finding I hardly use it at all anymore... in fact right now it isn't even installed.

Greg Moore

Originally posted by akashik
    Have to agree with you there. I used to swear by Fireworks, but I'm finding I hardly use it at all anymore... in fact right now it isn't even installed.

Greg Moore
    Have you tried Fireworks MX?

I bought it a few months ago and after playing with it for a few hours I fell in love - so much that I even contemplated uninstalling Photoshop.

--Shaun
    Shaun Ewing
    http://shaun.net

slicing

psp7 is good and not expensive

Originally posted by shaunewing

I bought it a few months ago and after playing with it for a few hours I fell in love - so much that I even contemplated uninstalling Photoshop.

--Shaun
    One of my clients told me about fireworks mx today. he absolutely LOVES it. he said after about an hour, he could do more with it than he ever could with photoshop. I'm gonna check it out for myself this weekend.
    Learn survival/prepper information from a combat veteran at Graywolf Survival

I use PS and then export (through filter) to Ulead's SmartSaverPro 3. So you think ImageReady (comes with PS) is good for slicing and dicing...

You can search for some nice freeware that will cut an image into as many peices as you want and add an html table as well. I think I found mine at Tucows.
    "Stop flame-wars - Report a post"
    The original Kitty Lizard

Originally posted by shaunewing
    No I haven't, though I've heard it's good. Might download the trial one day to see if I can justify the expense Being a long time photoshop user I tend to get lost in the menus of other graphics programs, and Fireowrks 3 used to confuse the heck out of me.

Greg Moore

does anyone know how to slice an image in adobe photoshop elements?
    do not clone to me.

What do you mean with elements? I can tell you a way to "slice" an image in Photoshop, but it's not really slicing.

If you do want to use the slicing images method of building sites than I also recommend you slice images and build the site from the ground up. remove all the layers that have simple superficial prettyness and start with the bottom layer. Most likely if it's just one colour, or a simple recurring pattern you can make the background out of a few pixels, dramatically reducing the size. Keep on uncovering new layers and slicing them to optimize fully the size of the site. Slicing is a skill of it's own, needs a lot of practise and dedication. If you use dreamweaver in conjunction with Photoshop, life will be a lot easier. As soon as you master the technique, ditch Dreamweaver, and code in plain html...

For the first time in my life, EVER, I used Photoshop / Image Ready and I freaked out... I couldn't believe that I spent so much of my time designing web pages by manually cutting them in Paint Shop Pro and coding them with Notepad!

Your turnaround is SO MUCH faster using PS/IR then Dreamweaver; there is no other choice. Period.

JP
    JP
    Justified Existence - my blog on blogging and writing for a living.

i don't think there is a way to slice in adobe photoshop elements anymore... maybe i should get the actual photoshop.. and not use the cheap elements one that came with my computer... but until i can get that kinda money to buy photoshop... i guess this will do.. is there any other programs that can slice? other than those adobe ones?
    do not clone to me.

Image slicer using PSP7: http://www.designsbyjoy.net/psp7/image_slicer.htm

Image slicer using PS:
    http://www.ejcreations.net/Tutorials/Slicer/ps.htm

I, myself, recommend Photoshop/Imageready, however, it does take some time getting used to as it has a relatively deep learning curve.

I want to get Fireworks MX, i have fireworks 4 and its great! Has anyone used both 4 and mx, whats the difference?
    Hostime Managed Hosting
    Opening the bridge between your business and the world.
    http://www.hostime.com

Re: Image slicing?

Originally posted by chewyman
    Is there a particular program you like and why? I have Paint Shop Pro. It is extremely user friendly and I have made great images with it. I also have Adobe Photoshop, but I haven't played with it much. Any information would be helpful.
    Ulead's SmartSaver Pro. It integrates into PSP nicely, and offers some nice features without the price tag. It can slice and dice your images and add the coding for mouseovers. It even allows you to save the cut template for future cuts, insert absolute positioning code, and you can compress the cut images on the fly in various formats (gif/jpg/png). Another kewl feature: you can reserve the best imagine quality to the part of the image you like to highlight, while the less has less resolution (saving more kbs).

It's better to just have one image downloading though. Takes longer for cut images to download than just one image (less calls to the server).

Discussed this earlier about PS and other expensive programs: they're not always needed. There's some wonderful addon programs that can do pretty good work, without shelling out a fortune. If folks want really professional grade art programs $600 doesn't cut it -- try $10,000 for a dedicated commercial solution (those poor art students really shell out $$$$$ for their programs!).

Still using PSP, ImageStyler 1.0.1 (nice little vector based program that Adobe canned, even though it's neat for shapes, and text effects -- look around at Ebay for it, really cheap and A-1 for banners!) and SmartSaver Pro. The success of png compression I'm getting from SSP is amazing. Some even smaller than .gif format even though in True Color.

Chris

450 pics. optical illusion. very interesting.

optical-illusion,org