After cancelling an account...

Webhosts,

Do you ever get customers that cancel their hosting plan, and then after you process the cancellation, remove their account, they come back like a day later and say "I dont have a backup, can I get my data?"

We usually get 2-3 cancellations a month for whatever reason, but everytime, they come crawling back for their data after the fact...Wouldnt it make sense to get anything you need before you do the cancellation?

Anyone else experience this?

Hell, if you see it happening often, I'd go ahead and just start the procedure of saving the users dir for a short while, and when they request it, charge them some type of data restoration fee of like $50.

We have general rule of storing customer data for 30 days after they cancel.

Most sites never reach over 100 megs, so it's nothing to spare off a few 80 gig ide's if needed, but never busts half a gig.

But then in over a year's worth of focused hosting we have had very little turnover -=)
    dotGig
    <:<: [Fruit eating linux administrator]

We have a little 5.00 dollar account we consider the host hopping account.

If someone cancels just take like 2 seconds out of your day and zip their data and send it to them in a nice little email. When they realize that their new hosts suck, they will come back to you for your kindness.
    IQ Studio
    www.IQStudio.net
    Sales@IQStudio.net
    Create.Design.Innovate

Re: After cancelling an account...

Originally posted by goodness0001
    Webhosts,

Do you ever get customers that cancel their hosting plan, and then after you process the cancellation, remove their account, they come back like a day later and say "I dont have a backup, can I get my data?"

We usually get 2-3 cancellations a month for whatever reason, but everytime, they come crawling back for their data after the fact...Wouldnt it make sense to get anything you need before you do the cancellation?

Can't you just suspend the account?

I have Raq's and Ensim boxes, both of them have suspend features.
    L. James Prevo - President/Owner
    Prevo Network, LLC - http://www.prevo.net
    Est. 1999 - Month to Month Billing!!

after cancels, we keep user data for 60 days just in case they come back...
    I have servers at: NetDepot/GNAX (A), SoftLayer (A), LiquidWeb (B+), DedicatedNow (B+), Nectartech (B) and more!

Our forms state that the all data will be removed from the server once they submit the form. We also have people asking if we have a copy on backup ( Some people never read) and charge $20.00 if we need to fetch the site and burn it to a CD.

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Webhosts,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At Hostcp3 we keep a backup for our clients on a separate system, I have not deleted any files from that system to date, if we ever did have a cancellation I would keep a backup for at least 6 months, considering a zipped tar only takes up a small amount on a 80 gig HD.

Our client growth is slow but steady with zero cancellations.
    I put this down to.

1. He.net datacenter
    2. Fast support
    3. Proffessionally managed servers.
    Last edited by digitalhost; 10-14-2002 at 06:34 PM.
    Quality Hosting Services for 7 Years

We do the same thing, we keep the data for 60 days, leaving everything in place, (disable the site in IIS) Suspend the mail and FTP.

If they comeback we have a very easy no hassle "switch back on" which makes us look very good.

If they have lost their site files then we charge them 30 Euros to burn it onto CD-ROM or 20 Euros to re-open the FTP.
    Dave Parkes
    Sorted Sites
    http://www.sortedsites.com
    Low population shared hosting

Originally posted by hostcp3

At Hostcp3 we keep a backup for our clients on a separate system, I have not deleted any files from that system to date, if we ever did have a cancellation I would keep a backup for at least 6 months, considering a zipped tar only takes up a small amount on a 80 gig HD.

I put this down to.

1. He.net datacenter
    2. Fast support
    People leave 99% of the time because of downtime.
    Clustered Hosting With Continuous Data Protection (CDP)
    http://www.solidinternet.com
    8 Years of hosting excellence!

Originally posted by hostcp3

I put this down to.

1. He.net datacenter
    2. Fast support
    When you are done self-promoting yourself, tell us so we can continue with the INITIAL discussion

Originally posted by NocSol

When you are done self-promoting yourself, tell us so we can continue with the INITIAL discussion

Sorry, I suppose my question should have been,

why so many cancellations?

some answers already thankyou.

It didn't look like to me that cp3 was self-promoting ... he was just being helpful in various reasons he doesn't get cancellations.
    DatacenterHardware.com
    Remote Power Switch / Switched PDU

Every host gets cancellations no matter what high horse they ride.

Originally posted by Benjamin
    It didn't look like to me that cp3 was self-promoting ... he was just being helpful in various reasons he doesn't get cancellations.

Benjamin

thankyou for the support, I suppose each time a host posts he is self promoting, but anyway beside the point.

I have two hosting businesses and my clients at the he.net datacentre are very happy with the connection speed through that centre might explain why I have had no cancellations, couple that with what I wrote above.

so to say again in the year of hosting at the he.net datacentre I have had no cancellations.

any way as Elanie would say yadda yadda

he bandwidth is rather pricey, and your plans are *very* expensive in wht terms at least. (spare me the 'its worth it' talk - i know that already .

i would think you would at least have some cancellations due to host hopping - do you have a way to filter out smart and hosting-savvy clients?

cheers,
    paul
    * Rusko Enterprises LLC - Upgrade to 100% uptime today!
    * Premium NYC collocation and custom dedicated servers
    call 1-877-MY-RUSKO or paul [at] rusko.us

dedicated servers, collocation, load balanced and high availability clusters

Every host gets cancellations no matter what high horse they ride.
    Yeah I still remember my first one, it felt like a personal attack on my esteem Now, we get a few each week, it's just business as usual. Guess that's the difference in hosting 220 domains and 6000 domains, you get used to cancellations.
    Gary Harris - the artist formerly known as Dixiesys
    resident grumpy redneck