Question No idea about web hosts

Hey,

I have a Geocities site (www.geocities.com/briancgoff), but, as it's a free site, the bandwidth is terribly thin. I have absolutely no idea where to start with web hosts; I just need something with a reasonably good amount of bandwidth.

I don't know a lot about this sort of thing.

Thanks,

Brian C. Goff

------------------
    The Artwork of Brian C. Goff
    www.geocities.com/briancgoff

You might want to start by doing a little research and find out which hosts are highly recommended and why. From there, you can write a host, if you so desire, and find out if their plans fit you. Bottom line: Don't take the first good deal that comes your way. Save yourself a headache and do a little searching around the forum to get a feel for the hosts that are out there.

By the way, that's some great work you have on your current site.

What's your budget?
    Get your certificate of knowification autographed by REW!
    Visit rewdog.com for details.

Hey, Welcome to the boards.

The question is roughly how many visitors do you get on a monthly basis, and how much kb is your site on average. Then you can calculate the average amount of bandwidth that your site uses.

This is a good place to find hosts, that's for sure. Take a look at some of the forums, some users signatures, and some web hosting directories.

I recommend: http://www.tophosts.com

Good Luck.
    Kaumil P.

Quite possibly the best geocities site I've seen.
    Are you sure it's free? I got no ads or anything.

Brian, you can learn about just by reading the posts here at webhostingtalk.com.

Since you are new, I will get you started. You could start by posting in the Web Hosting Request forum. At the very least, you will need to know how much bandwidth and diskspace you will need. If you are only having a personal site, you transfer usage will not be more than 2 GB. You can find out your diskspace usage by calculating all the web files on your hard drive now, and double it (just for safety).

If you site use any special features (such as CGI, Frontpage extension, etc...) you should also mention it in your request. Although most hosting plans nowaday come standard.

One tip - since you don't seem to have a domain now, unless you plan to get one (e.g www.domain.com), you should ask specifically for the host to give you a subdomain (brian.host.com) or sub-directory (www.host.com/~brian)

Once you posted your request, you will receive at least a few offers. Take the time to research on each company, and also do a search of their names on the forum archive. Once you have a good idea of your options, you can make your decision.

Peter

yes, if you plan on taking your site to the next level and using it as a business, do yourself a favor and don't decide on your host based on price. Reliability, reputation, type of connection they have (internap vs Cogent, etc) Terms of service, addititional costs of things later on etc. Do some homework for a bit and you'll thank yourself a lot later as you read more and more of people who start looking by looking for the cheapest route, and then come back in a few months after considerable frustration and cost and humbly ask for a good host, almost regardless of the price (within reason, of course).
    Learn survival/prepper information from a combat veteran at Graywolf Survival

Yeah, you've definately got to get out of there 'cos this is the message I just got:

Sorry, this site is temporarily unavailable! The web site you are trying to access has exceeded its allocated data transfer. Visit our help area for more information.

Access to this site will be restored within an hour. Please try again later.
    http://www.geocities.com/briancgoff
    Spend a few hours reading through other peoples experiences on WHT. Then, post a request maybe in the appropriate forum and see what offers you get. Narrow it down to a couple of them then do a search on those companies to see what others have to say about them
    Josh Powell.
    ServerSpotCheck - Is your website down?
    Skimpylink - Not as tiny as some but much cuter!

wow, i just saw that site a few minutes ago.

Guess you can see what happens when you get popular! I think Geocities caps you at 4Megs/hour and 3G/mo. Definitely need to move, but please don't rush into it.

Do you use this site for business, or just for pleasure (i didn't get a chance to look closely)? I have a new client coming on board (hopefully someday soon!) that does charicatures in the local area and was wondering what a good strategy for that type of business is on the web. Never got into it so far. you have a nice site.

Brian, I have to say, your site is really cool.

You have some serious talent =)

http://www.geocities.com/briancgoff/woman.jpg
    dotGig
    <:<: [Fruit eating linux administrator]

Geocities does suck They cap hardcore.
    Kaumil P.

Great work!!!!!
    Need to move it.
    The web site you are trying to access has exceeded its allocated data transfer. Visit our help area for more information.
    Access to this site will be restored within an hour. Please try again later.
    http://www.geocities.com/briancgoff/music.htm

Browse the top hosts directories for a budget host and get familiar with it. You will grow to like it for the personal customer support and the 3-10 gig traffic limits. Plus you can do more app dev and not have those annoying bannars all over the place like geocities uses. Ew tried that when i was in the 9th grade and never turned back.

-Eric
    CTO of CDXSolutions
    IQ Studio
    www.IQStudio.net
    [email protected]
    Create.Design.Innovate

man, i wish they'd a had the internet when I was in 9th grade!

RE

hahahahha
    IQ Studio
    www.IQStudio.net
    [email protected]
    Create.Design.Innovate

Everyone has pretty much posted everything you need to know. Just read a lot and post every once in a while when you have a question.

Really nice site and art