Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DSL as backbone

* DSL as backbone

OK someone suggested I start a new thread about this - I simply asked if anyone had any previous hosting with DSL. I wouldn't host with residential, but was considering a business class that the ISP approved of hosting on.

Heres one example:

I can get a 384K/384K Fractional T1 if I buy the $699 router and spend $325 /month

I could get a 1000/1000 sdsl connection (only with 5 static ips) for about 30 dollars less a month and about the same startup cost.

It seems like a tough decision to me!
    Jimmy

a couple of things. First, search the board, hosting on dsl has been talked about and it might do some good too take a look at that. Secondly, in responce to the 384, thats not much bandwidth, it works out to 48kbytes going both ways, get more then 3 people downloading something from that site on lines faster then 56k and you will get some unhappy clients.
    Chicago Electronic Cigarettes: Tobacco Free, Smoke Free. 3 E-Cig Models, 11 flavors, and accessories.
    http://www.chicago-ecigs.com

NO NO NO NO ... NO !

just my 10 cents
    Matt Wallis
    United Communications Limited
    High Performance Shared & Reseller | Managed VPS Cloud | Managed Dedicated
    UK www.unitedhosting.co.uk | US www.unitedhosting.com | Since 1998.

If you decided to start with anything, I would suggest using a T3 at least, or a bunch of T1's... alot of T1's

LOL

Ok no problem, im going to start out spending 45 thousand a month on a connection.
    Jimmy

A T3 won't cost 45k a month, nowhere near that ammount. I think you can get them for under 9k, and I am 100% positive that you can get them in the 12k+.

try around 8000/month

I didn't believe you could get them for that price around here. I believe Im going to get 1100/1100 or 768/768 dsl for me to start off with, thats a couple hundred bucks a month, and includes a sla. I know that a "t3" would be nice, but to start with??
    Jimmy

T3 and loop charge comes out to $10,567 at the edge of the Chattanooga, TN city limits, If my location was closer to the middle of the city I could drop that price to about $9,500 per line
    Voiding warranties is what I do best.

Im starting out hosting 5 sites that get about 10 gigs / month max! I want to host it at my own location:

1 - So I learn
    2 - I can actually do something about problems
    3 - easier expansion
    4 - One site I'm currently working on is going to take a ton of space and will need its on NAS or something similar

Theres no way I need a T3! Those prices are good however, from what Ive seen in the past!
    Jimmy

But during peak times the sites will load like dogs on what you were thinking of in your original posts, probably get a lot of error pages aswell. 5 x 10.. 50gb a month. do the maths.

Just get yaself a dedicated and do it properly, nobody says you cant learn or fix problems through SSH
    Matt Wallis

lol - also #4 But I already have a facility I can place it with fire supression, backup power, etc.. Just no connection.

I believe a 1100/1100 connection would be more than fast enough for even 25 sites with that bandwidth usage?
    Jimmy

Originally posted by JWB

I believe a 1100/1100 connection would be more than fast enough for even 25 sites with that bandwidth usage?
    I seroiusly doubt that. What download/ Upload speeds would you get on a 1.1mbit line?? About 100-200k a sec. That means with 1 person viewing each one of those 25 sites would only be able to download @ 8k per sec max.Probably much less. What contention ratio is on the DSL???
    Regards,
    Ronan
    Pairone Networks Ltd
    Cloud Hosting @www.pair1.ie

You should atleast start out with a T1 connection. You can probably get one between $600/$900 month and several companies will even throw in the router.

However I would recomend you colo them somewhere where you have a 100meg burstable connection.
    Multiple Image Corporation - http://www.multipleimage.com
    Diverse Solutions for Diverse Companies.
    Virtual, Dedicated & Colocated Hosting.

$99/Month - Dedicated Server with SLA - Guaranteed Uptime and a lot or bandwidth? Hrmm?!?!?!?

VS

$250/Month - DSL w/ Server @home, no true guarantee on uptime, and a lot less bandwidth? Hrmm ?!?!?!?

Just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by OllieVH; 10-13-2002 at 10:02 PM.

DSL? Maybe for 1 single, small site. I don't think its too reliable for a web host.

I'm not sure if I see the differences in speed between the two
    products.

t1 = Speeds UP TO 1.54 MBps @1000 - 1500 a month.
    (NOT guaranteed to BE dedicated @1.54 unless you pay a LOT more than a standard t1 costs. Just going UP TP 1.54.)

BUSINESS CLASS DSL - 1.5MBps @ 200-300 per month.
    (Thats 1.5 UPSTREAM and Downstream).

Finally someone who sees my view, the dsl comes with a service level agreement, and I believe a 80% commit rate.

Heres the bottom line:

If you are buying a T1 for every 10 customers and are paying even just $500 for it, then you would have to charge $50 / customer just to pay for bandwidth, are you people seriously telling me you have that much bandwidth for so few customers? And do you think that the place your colocating to can affoard to buy your hundred dollar server its on t1? I understand that they can pool all there bandwidth together and combine it to give high burst rates, but during peak usage times, all sites are at peack usage, which means all of them cant "burst" at the same time!!

except cogent that is ...
    Jimmy

DSL does work, but there is a lot more too it then just how well it can run. They dont tolerate much, they have a lot more terms then regular datacenters. I have done it, hosting on sdsl, when you get cut off you will have move, and IT COSTS MORE. Datacenters now at some places are cheap, why are you wanting to spend all the money to have it at home. And there are other factors such as backup, and all that. Then why have the added pressure of moving to a datacenter later. You will have a lot to change, things will have to propigate, its a pain to change. Then what happens if you need IPS? Its harder and generally more expensive with dsl. Finally something I suffered through, when the dsl company gets bought out or goes bankrupt, you have a lot of extra work. Save your self the time and money. Dont do dsl
    Chicago Electronic Cigarettes: Tobacco Free, Smoke Free. 3 E-Cig Models, 11 flavors, and accessories.
    http://www.chicago-ecigs.com

Im not saying that DSL is the perfect solution or anything, simply that I need to be able to host it where I can physically get to the servers and everything, in addition to just wanting to be able to. And I believe that its not as bad as some people make it out to be. I hope to expand enough to buy a couple t1s, but just don't want to dive right in to it. However, I appreciate your opinions, and Im not sure exactly what Im going to do immediately.
    Jimmy

I have followed this thread from the start and still don't understand why you need physical access to the server.Who ever supplied you with a dedicated server would look after hardware problems. Maybe I'm missing something?

Well I just want it for one reason, but the logical reason is because Im working on a website thats going to need a lot of stoarge, and Im probably going to have to add a NAS to it or some kind of large stoarge device...
    Jimmy

T1's are not that expensive. Qwest sells them for about 1-2k a month here plus a 500 dollar setup fee. My old cyber cafe got 2 t1s for 2k a month. (thats fredericksburg for you). The best option for you to do is colocate or get a dedicated server as ollie said. Let the pros with their fancy datacenters worry about bandwidth and uptime and you worry about your customers and server support.

-eric
    IQ Studio
    www.IQStudio.net
    Sales@IQStudio.net
    Create.Design.Innovate

JWB,

Business class SDSL should be okay for a couple sites. On a 1500K line I wouldn't host more then 20-30 low traffic sites and watch out for the peak times.

If you let me know what city you live in I may be able to find you a good deal on something a little more solid. (The last T1 I found for a guy was $399/mo, the last frac DS3 (3mbps) was $900). Let me know.

Aaron
    Aaron Wendel
    Wholesale Internet, Inc. - http://www.wholesaleinternet.net
    Kansas City Internet eXchange - http://www.kcix.net

not gonna say it anymore but it wont it wont it wont.. you wait for the first peak on 25 sites
    Matt Wallis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast