Cpanel Licenses and 95th percetile rule

Hi:

I'm looking for Cpanel Licenses, all the sites i've seen have licenses for 99$/mo. Do you know any other site with cheaper licenses?

What does it mean "95th percetile rule"? I've searching but i'm not sure what it could be.

A last question... i'm thinking to take a dedicated server in unitedcolo, but the told me that i CANNOT run ircd daemon on my server... why? Does somebody know what i can't run it?

Regards,
    Carlos

Re: Cpanel Licenses and 95th percetile rule

Originally posted by CCorderoR
    Hi:

I'm looking for Cpanel Licenses, all the sites i've seen have licenses for 99$/mo. Do you know any other site with cheaper licenses?

What does it mean "95th percetile rule"? I've searching but i'm not sure what it could be.

A last question... i'm thinking to take a dedicated server in unitedcolo, but the told me that i CANNOT run ircd daemon on my server... why? Does somebody know what i can't run it?

Regards,
    Carlos
    CPanel distributors are required to advertise it at $99/mo as part of their agreement, but i believe can go to around $60/mo, or you can get it cheaper if you get a license from within a cpanel partner NOC or Distributor NOC.

The 95th percentile rule means that your bandwidth is measured every 5 minutes, at the end of the month, the bandwidth is sorted by most k/s during 5 minute periods, and the top 5% of those numbers are thrown out, the highest remaining number left is what you are billed for, so if you spike to 20mbps for 6% of the month, you're billed for 20mbps, if you spiked to 20mbps for 4% of the month (approx 1 day) you wouldn't be billed for that, you'd be billed for whatever number below fell just below the 5% (if that makes sense, its a way of fairly calculating bandwidth for providers and customrs).

United colo likely doesen't want ANY irc connectivity after the recent DoS attacks they've been suffering from, do a search, they've had unfortunate circumstances to say the least.

If you purchase a server with a direct CPanel distributor, then you can get CPanel bundled with the server for about $30-40/month extra.

Nocster.net bundles CPanel for an extra $19.95/month.

Some dedicated server providers bundle CPanel with the server for free, (Example provider: http://www.site5.com)

External liscenses are pretty much always $99 bucks a month. So you won't find any cheaper in that department, other than the odd special a company runs.

That's not true. It is relatively easily to find an external Cpanel license for 65$ per month. I have seen them as low as 50$ in certain places.

Originally posted by 311

External liscenses are pretty much always $99 bucks a month. So you won't find any cheaper in that department, other than the odd special a company runs.
    Regards,
    Ronan
    Pairone Networks Ltd
    Cloud Hosting @www.pair1.ie

Originally posted by RFhost
    That's not true. It is relatively easily to find an external Cpanel license for 65$ per month. I have seen them as low as 50$ in certain places.

Thanks for correcting me...

cpanel

I get my cpanel licenses for 30/month per server

JDT

Re: cpanel

Originally posted by batcavenet
    I get my cpanel licenses for 30/month per server

JDT
    I presume that's for an internal license. I think it is against darkorbs TOS/AUP to go any lower than $50 for an external license!! Correct me if I am wrong I am not entirely sure.
    Regards,
    Ronan
    Pairone Networks Ltd
    Cloud Hosting @www.pair1.ie

Re: Re: cpanel

Originally posted by RFhost

I presume that's for an internal license. I think it is against darkorbs TOS/AUP to go any lower than $50 for an external license!! Correct me if I am wrong I am not entirely sure.
    It's against their license agreement to advertise as a regular price under $100/mo (not even 99/mo, dont ask why), but vendors can hold specials, or "sell occasionally" for as low as $60/mo, anything lower is against their agreement).

Re: Re: Re: cpanel

Originally posted by porcupine

anything lower is against their agreement).

Hmmm, artifical price support? I don't know how the licensing is done, but usually telling a distributor that they can charge no lower than x dollars is usually unlawful. That's why tags from manufacturers list "suggested retail price". I'm not an expert in this field, but I remember that Levis got in trouble for this years ago when they didn't want Sears selling their jeans because they wanted a minimum retail price. Of course the way to get around this is to keep a high licensing fee to the distributors so they can't go so low, i.e., their costs are high.
    Richard
    Multiple Domain Hosting | See our Ad in PC Magazine
    Windows Reseller Hosting @ www.e3servers.com

Re: Re: Re: Re: cpanel

Originally posted by beachtrader

Hmmm, artifical price support? I don't know how the licensing is done, but usually telling a distributor that they can charge no lower than x dollars is usually unlawful. That's why tags from manufacturers list "suggested retail price". I'm not an expert in this field, but I remember that Levis got in trouble for this years ago when they didn't want Sears selling their jeans because they wanted a minimum retail price. Of course the way to get around this is to keep a high licensing fee to the distributors so they can't go so low, i.e., their costs are high.
    Yeah, but that only applies for external licenses, not internal, legalities of which im not sure, but it seems reasonable to me, if i was marketing a $99/mo product, i wouldn't want someone to be selling at $30/mo to all my clients, while getting the product from me, because they could.

Get it for $50.00 external

http://www.hostany.com They have a good monthly deal. but they have a one time install charge.

There is one other company that offers it for $50.00 as well including install, but the one above is the one I can recommend.

if i was marketing a $99/mo product, i wouldn't want someone to be selling at $30/mo to all my clients, while getting the product from me, because they could.
    porcupine - That's the nature of competitive business