Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    (Madrid) Spain
    Posts
    39

    Cpanel Licenses and 95th percetile rule

    Hi:

    I'm looking for Cpanel Licenses, all the sites i've seen have licenses for 99$/mo. Do you know any other site with cheaper licenses?

    What does it mean "95th percetile rule"? I've searching but i'm not sure what it could be.

    A last question... i'm thinking to take a dedicated server in unitedcolo, but the told me that i CANNOT run ircd daemon on my server... why? Does somebody know what i can't run it?


    Regards,
    Carlos

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    5,954

    Re: Cpanel Licenses and 95th percetile rule

    Originally posted by CCorderoR
    Hi:

    I'm looking for Cpanel Licenses, all the sites i've seen have licenses for 99$/mo. Do you know any other site with cheaper licenses?

    What does it mean "95th percetile rule"? I've searching but i'm not sure what it could be.

    A last question... i'm thinking to take a dedicated server in unitedcolo, but the told me that i CANNOT run ircd daemon on my server... why? Does somebody know what i can't run it?


    Regards,
    Carlos
    CPanel distributors are required to advertise it at $99/mo as part of their agreement, but i believe can go to around $60/mo, or you can get it cheaper if you get a license from within a cpanel partner NOC or Distributor NOC.

    The 95th percentile rule means that your bandwidth is measured every 5 minutes, at the end of the month, the bandwidth is sorted by most k/s during 5 minute periods, and the top 5% of those numbers are thrown out, the highest remaining number left is what you are billed for, so if you spike to 20mbps for 6% of the month, you're billed for 20mbps, if you spiked to 20mbps for 4% of the month (approx 1 day) you wouldn't be billed for that, you'd be billed for whatever number below fell just below the 5% (if that makes sense, its a way of fairly calculating bandwidth for providers and customrs).

    United colo likely doesen't want ANY irc connectivity after the recent DoS attacks they've been suffering from, do a search, they've had unfortunate circumstances to say the least.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,008
    If you purchase a server with a direct CPanel distributor, then you can get CPanel bundled with the server for about $30-40/month extra.

    Nocster.net bundles CPanel for an extra $19.95/month.

    Some dedicated server providers bundle CPanel with the server for free, (Example provider: http://www.site5.com)

    External liscenses are pretty much always $99 bucks a month. So you won't find any cheaper in that department, other than the odd special a company runs.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    127.0.0.1
    Posts
    437
    That's not true. It is relatively easily to find an external Cpanel license for 65$ per month. I have seen them as low as 50$ in certain places.

    Originally posted by 311

    External liscenses are pretty much always $99 bucks a month. So you won't find any cheaper in that department, other than the odd special a company runs.
    Regards,
    Ronan
    Pairone Networks Ltd
    Cloud Hosting @www.pair1.ie

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,008
    Originally posted by RFhost
    That's not true. It is relatively easily to find an external Cpanel license for 65$ per month. I have seen them as low as 50$ in certain places.

    Thanks for correcting me...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Batcave
    Posts
    286

    cpanel

    I get my cpanel licenses for 30/month per server

    JDT

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    127.0.0.1
    Posts
    437

    Re: cpanel

    Originally posted by batcavenet
    I get my cpanel licenses for 30/month per server

    JDT
    I presume that's for an internal license. I think it is against darkorbs TOS/AUP to go any lower than $50 for an external license!! Correct me if I am wrong I am not entirely sure.
    Regards,
    Ronan
    Pairone Networks Ltd
    Cloud Hosting @www.pair1.ie

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    5,954

    Re: Re: cpanel

    Originally posted by RFhost


    I presume that's for an internal license. I think it is against darkorbs TOS/AUP to go any lower than $50 for an external license!! Correct me if I am wrong I am not entirely sure.
    It's against their license agreement to advertise as a regular price under $100/mo (not even 99/mo, dont ask why), but vendors can hold specials, or "sell occasionally" for as low as $60/mo, anything lower is against their agreement).

  9. #9

    Re: Re: Re: cpanel

    Originally posted by porcupine


    anything lower is against their agreement).

    Hmmm, artifical price support? I don't know how the licensing is done, but usually telling a distributor that they can charge no lower than x dollars is usually unlawful. That's why tags from manufacturers list "suggested retail price". I'm not an expert in this field, but I remember that Levis got in trouble for this years ago when they didn't want Sears selling their jeans because they wanted a minimum retail price. Of course the way to get around this is to keep a high licensing fee to the distributors so they can't go so low, i.e., their costs are high.
    Richard
    Multiple Domain Hosting | See our Ad in PC Magazine
    Windows Reseller Hosting @ www.e3servers.com

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    5,954

    Re: Re: Re: Re: cpanel

    Originally posted by beachtrader



    Hmmm, artifical price support? I don't know how the licensing is done, but usually telling a distributor that they can charge no lower than x dollars is usually unlawful. That's why tags from manufacturers list "suggested retail price". I'm not an expert in this field, but I remember that Levis got in trouble for this years ago when they didn't want Sears selling their jeans because they wanted a minimum retail price. Of course the way to get around this is to keep a high licensing fee to the distributors so they can't go so low, i.e., their costs are high.
    Yeah, but that only applies for external licenses, not internal, legalities of which im not sure, but it seems reasonable to me, if i was marketing a $99/mo product, i wouldn't want someone to be selling at $30/mo to all my clients, while getting the product from me, because they could.

  11. #11

    Get it for $50.00 external

    http://www.hostany.com They have a good monthly deal. but they have a one time install charge.

    There is one other company that offers it for $50.00 as well including install, but the one above is the one I can recommend.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    233
    if i was marketing a $99/mo product, i wouldn't want someone to be selling at $30/mo to all my clients, while getting the product from me, because they could.
    porcupine - That's the nature of competitive business

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •