bandwidth quality comparisons: how important and how to tell the difference?

am close to identifying a supplier for reseller hosting services. however, one is claiming to have "higher quality bandwidth" and therefore is more expensive. on the face, they look identical.

two questions:

1) what's the best way to get an unbiased look at the two hosts "bandwidth quality"

2) all other things being equal (price, service, reputation, etc), how important is said "bandwidth quality"? it sounds like a really nebulous term to me.

cheers.

Ask the companies, who they buy their bandwidth from, and how fast each connection is.

With that info, then you can make an evaluation as to how good their bandwidth is.

High Quality Bandwidth:

Faster response times, better ping times, better uptime (AT&T, Sprint, MCI, etc.)

Low Quality Bandwidth:

Slow response times wich can cause sites to take up to 5x longer to load, slower ping times. (Cogent, etc.)

Honestly, Cognet isn't that bad. People just fuss because they don't have the best peering points. We use primarly use Cognet on our network however we get great pings for Cognet. It doesn't take 5x longer to load a site

At least as important in my mind is the number of providers as well. One or two providers is bound to have more trouble with network issues than a host who has 3 or 5 or 20. Something about not putting all your eggs in one basket comes in mind

Greg Moore
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

Greetings:

"Honestly, Cognet isn't that bad."

Ranking 32nd out of 34 companies is bad. I guess it isn't as bad as being 34th... but "isn't that bad?"

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

Who's 33 and 34?

Brian

where's the ranking list coming from, out of curiousity?

Originally posted by dynamicnet
    Greetings:

Ranking 32nd out of 34 companies is bad. I guess it isn't as bad as being 34th... but "isn't that bad?"

Thank you.
    Who cares? Ranking doesn't mean anything? Lets rank them by price... who comes in first then? Any why do AT LEAST 50% of hosting companies use Cognet, or have Cognet lines?

Because 50% of the hosting companies are ripping off their customers with garbage?
    Kaumil P.

Originally posted by dynamicnet
    Greetings:

Thank you.
    Yeah that was like a year and a half ago. Go take a look at that (worthless) PDF, and take a peak at the bottom.

It was made in early 2001. Now go look at todays date.

BIG DIFFERENCE.

Networks change a lot over time. That's precisely the case with cogent...

Originally posted by hostingplex
    Because 50% of the hosting companies are ripping off their customers with garbage?
    Alright, I guess Rackshack is ripping off clients, as well as Eservers, etc. Just because you use Cognet doesn't mean that pings are going to be 150ms+ , or your webpages load 5x slower.

Also, I don't see how people say that Cognet doesn't have good uptime.... we haven't had any problems with Cognet. And if I am correct, you can do a search of these forums and see that Cognet has great uptime compared to others.

I think that ranking came from his ass

Has anyone here had any experience hosting off of dsl (business dsl) lines?
    Jimmy

The problem with Cogent is it's peering. Thumbs up for Cogent for setting new pricing standards, and it's good to see them expanding - but all to often you can be bounced from coast to coast because of their poor peering, and at times their peering points become very heavily congested resulting in network latency so pages will take longer to load.
    Matthew Russell | Namecheap
    Twitter: @mattdrussell

www.namecheap.com - hosting from a registrar DONE RIGHT!

jimmy,

you might want to start a separate thread on that topic. lots of informed folks can disabuse you of any misconceptions fairly quickly (although i can tell you i had to do it with a server on an emergency basis and it was a disaster, and likely in clear violation of your provider's TOS).

Thanks, I did.

-- I must say that many people dont give cogent much of a chance, a few ms delay in a page loading would be worth a savings of all about 10X to me, and probably the average customer in my opinion. For that price if I would buy cogent just as a backup if I owned a medium/large dc.
    Jimmy

Originally posted by phpcoder

Alright, I guess Rackshack is ripping off clients, as well as Eservers, etc. Just because you use Cognet doesn't mean that pings are going to be 150ms+ , or your webpages load 5x slower.

Also, I don't see how people say that Cognet doesn't have good uptime.... we haven't had any problems with Cognet. And if I am correct, you can do a search of these forums and see that Cognet has great uptime compared to others.
    Well RackShack isn't mission critical stuff. They also have their mainstream stuff on their better bandwidth lines, i'm sure they do not rely 100% on Cogent.

I guess its 50/50. Some have problems, and Some don't.
    Kaumil P.

Well, mostly we have boxes on Cogent and also more expensive providers like NAC and HE, while it is thought you pay higher fees for a solid network and better uptime ratios.

I think it may have a lot to do with perception, but if customer's perceptions' are that more expensive providers like NAC and HE provide better quality bandwidth, we will offer it, but as we get charged more, we must charge the customer more in the end.....

Originally posted by dialuphost
    more expensive providers like NAC and HE provide better quality bandwidth, we will offer it, but as we get charged more, we must charge the customer more in the end.....
    It's more a play on words than anything but I don't think it's that NAC and HE charge more, but that Cogent charges so much less. Remembering of course that NAC offers Cogent as one of their providers as well - but it's far from the only one. It's one of dozens listed on their website. If Cogent (or any single provider) disappeared tomorrow it wouldn't matter to us as there are plenty of alternatives. However if you use single provider bandwidth then you risk it all by having all your eggs in one basket.

I personally have little opinion on Cogent themselves - but rather the hosting companies that use single providers with little to no backup.

Greg Moore
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

Originally posted by akashik

It's more a play on words than anything but I don't think it's that NAC and HE charge more, but that Cogent charges so much less. Remembering of course that NAC offers Cogent as one of their providers as well - but it's far from the only one. It's one of dozens listed on their website. If Cogent (or any single provider) disappeared tomorrow it wouldn't matter to us as there are plenty of alternatives. However if you use single provider bandwidth then you risk it all by having all your eggs in one basket.

I personally have little opinion on Cogent themselves - but rather the hosting companies that use single providers with little to no backup.

Greg Moore
    Well said Greg,

After listening to this arguement and participating in ones like it a dozen times, i've yet managed to put it so correctly.

Originally posted by phpcoder
    Honestly, Cognet isn't that bad. People just fuss because they don't have the best peering points. We use primarly use Cognet on our network however we get great pings for Cognet. It doesn't take 5x longer to load a site
    Hey Edgar,
    Have you tested cogent on a continental basis yet, I was wondering what they look like from other parts of the states. I hear in the USA, if you get a KC or St Louis Datacenter with it, you get great all over USA ping times ( low to mid 50's) .

Mike
    I am Mike From ADEHOST.Com, Multidomain Windows hosting with Cold Fusion and ASP and Dot.NET Also offering multi-domain Unix hosting. silently, each one should ask, Have I done my daily task. Have I kept my honor bright, can I sleep without guilt tonight. Have I done and have I did, everything, to be prepared. - our motto to maintain services.