Question looking for a payed host for a YaBB forum.

I'm looking for a payed host. I only want to use it to install a YaBB on (CGI/perl). Maximum of 40 members.

How much webspace do I need ? (15 - 20 megs I guess ??)

How much bandwith do I need ?

Do yo have any tips for a rather cheep but reliable payed host ?? THX.

have you looked at phpBB or any other PHP/mysql board scripts? last i heard Yabb was resource intensive...

Originally posted by akash
    have you looked at phpBB or any other PHP/mysql board scripts? last i heard Yabb was resource intensive...
    thx for sharing your thoughts but I familiar with the YaBB script, I find it very userfriendly and as I plan to have no more then 40 members I don't think that it will absorb much resources... how much bandwith would I need/month ? thx

Hi,
    It really depends on how many hits you will have and how big are your skins for the board. More hits = more bandwidth.

40 members?

I'd be suprised if you went over one gig a month, and 20 meg or so should be more than enough - at least for now. The skin and posters message size would play a part in those final figures of course.

One thing people often do with their hosting choices is seriously overestimating what they think they'll need. While YaBB has a reputation for being a resource hog, 40 members isn't going to push much I don't think.

Greg Moore
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

any tips for a good payed hosting service ?

not really. The rules prevents people from mentioning a host they haven't used directly, and it's been a long time since I used shared hosting. I'm sure someone will chime in before long and give you a recommendation though.

Greg Moore
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

Originally posted by buffalorebel
    any tips for a good payed hosting service ?
    ME

Ok, it is a little hard to tell. There are a lot of good paid hosts. What are your requirements other then running a board? (i.e FrontPage extensions, POP, do you need ASP support, and do you have other special requirements?).

What are your requirements other then running a board? (i.e FrontPage extensions, POP, do you need ASP support, and do you have other special requirements?).
    none

anyone can pm me with tips and hints, thx

Originally posted by buffalorebel

none
    None? These are the customers I want to have. j/k

>>anyone can pm me with tips and hints, thx
    Will do

Unless your forum is incredibly active, you're not going to even use a gig a month. Space isn't a problem either, as it's still only using text files - and they're hardly huge, even if you break the default character limit per post.

I figure you're talking something like YaBB SP1.1 - though they do have a php scripted one in the form of YaBB SE.

Most hosts are now preferring php driven bbs to help conserve cpu power. But unless it's a frenetic forum, I can;t see you having problems with a reputable host.

To find one, simply use the search function at the top left of the site page, and try a few company names, one at a time, to see whether any have any serious issues against them.

Speaking of that, you may find a host that has mod GZIP, that speeds up the process of loading pages on your site and saves bandwidth.