Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

windowXp web server

i want to run a webserver. i'm using a WindowXp OS.

i know there are few program that allow me to do this. such like
    instantserver and etc.

i was wondering if there any other program that could do this.? and support PHP, PERL, etc

XP is really not a server OS, so its the wrong tool to use.

Maybe there is software out there for it, but it would be like crossing the US on a moped in winter. Yes, you might be able to do it...but the going with be long, hard, miserable, and slow, and most likely not worth it.

Try 2000 server, or Linux, or FreeBSD, they will work better.

Also....maybe for a small site with no visitors, the home PC might work..but playing games, etc will chew up resources or cause issues.

A seperate machine for a server would be best.

What exactly would you be hosting on this server?
    Learn survival/prepper information from a combat veteran at Graywolf Survival

if you want to test for example your php scripts, then install apache & php it will work on XP (www.apache.org www.php.net)

Try phpdev, I have used versions 4 and 5: http://www.firepages.com.au

It will install these on your Windows PC.
    apache 1.3.26
    apache 2.0.39
    php4.2.2
    MySQL4
    phpmyadmin 2.3 (RC)
    AnalogX php.ini configurator
    PHP-GTK 0.51
    PhpWebsite
    You can install Perl too
    Sitekeeper
    Google

Don't be silly.

Install IIS which is part of XP (Professional definatly has it, not sure about home)

Install PHP
    Install MySQL
    Activeperl

And you're all sorted

I have and rather use Apache on 2k/xp over IIS.
    Unless you feel like bein hacked
    Regards,
    Eric

Why have burger when you can have steak?

Anybody can make a fully-secure Windows box, it's not difficult and can be equally, if not more, secure than a nix box.

At the end of the day Apache won't run ASP (I don't care about chillisoft or any of that rubish). Windows will run ASP,PHP,Perl and everything else.

-----------------------
    The Laughing Cow Don't be silly.

Install IIS which is part of XP (Professional definatly has it, not sure about home)

Install PHP
    Install MySQL
    Activeperl

And you're all sorted

--------------------------------

where can i find all these thing? IIS,PHP,MYSQL,ACTIVEPERL

-IIS
    -PHP
    -MYSQL
    -ACTIVEPERL

HOW DO I PUT ALL THESE TOGETHER AND START A SERVER?
    DO I INSTALL THEM IN ONE FOLDER?

Originally posted by The Laughing Cow
    You call MS a steak over linux in the web hosting enviorment??
    Another Bill gates junkie huh...
    Anybody can make a fully-secure Windows box, it's not difficult and can be equally, if not more, secure than a nix box.[/B]
    Your statement here is complete rubbish!!! Especially the "anybody"
    Its a proven fact Windows can not be secured down as much as linux. If you had any actuall knowledge or looked it up you may know that.
    At the end of the day Apache won't run ASP (I don't care about chillisoft or any of that rubish). Windows will run ASP,PHP,Perl and everything else. [/B]
    Only true logical statement you made..
    Regards,
    Eric

Hi webuser12,

-IIS
    -PHP
    -MYSQL
    -ACTIVEPERL
    -> IIS: Search Microsoft
    -> PHP: http://www.php.net
    -> MySQL: http://www.mysql.com
    -> ActivePerl: http://www.activestate.com

As for installing the packages, your best bet is to read all the docs that go along with them.

Regards,
    Charlie

perl -le '$_=`man perlfaq1`;print/"(j.*)"/'
    Originally posted by The Laughing Cow

Anybody can make a fully-secure Windows box, it's not difficult and can be equally, if not more, secure than a nix box.

At the end of the day Apache won't run ASP (I don't care about chillisoft or any of that rubish). Windows will run ASP,PHP,Perl and everything else.
    Correction, it won't run VB/.NET ASP. It will run ASP. Your lack of knowledge in this makes me want to throw your [removed at the future request of "Chicken"] on the grill. There is no "end of the day" when you're waiting for Microsoft to release a patch for your "fully-secure Windows box."
    Last edited by Richard Ward; 10-13-2002 at 11:41 AM.
    Richard Ward
    1 NET LANE, LLC.
    http://www.1NL.net
    The low cost data center.

The latest object model for classic ASP is version 3.0 - it's been around for about two years now - and some of the new features it supports are definately NOT supported with any ASP emulator for unix that I've ever looked at.

When you are developing in ASP and have progressed beyond the "script down the page" method of development then you'll be using ASP Classes, server.execute, server.transfer, and the ASPError object, and you'll need to use an IIS (Windows) box.

Even the emulators that "support" ASP 2.0 don't support the full object model although they sometimes add additional objects that allow you to code around these limitations.

If you plan on using windows as your hosting environment then you want to get yourself a copy of the server version.

Windows/IIS can be made secure. Any OS can be hacked and to a large extent it comes down to the competence of the administrator. An incompetent administrator is a pest no matter what platform you use. I'd go for a "switched on" Windows administrator over a newbie *nix admin any day, but, ultimately, *nix probably has the edge on ultimate security (if it exists) because of the open source nature of it. However, don't be fooled into thinking that Windows is ultimately insecure. It's default installation is a hack waiting to happen, but you can tighten it down pretty well.

We host exclusively on Windows but we're not blind to its potential problems and we don't have a knee-jerk reaction to the thought of using other OS's. Unix is certainly a LOT cheaper and will run on less expensive hardware than a decent Windows server will require.

Ultimately it's your decision. Use whatever you feel most comfortable with and what your target client market will require. Only you know the answer to that.

I can't be bothered to read all the remarks made anti-ms, the fact is ms makes some great stuff, bad stuff and equally does the open-source area. It's just irritating when naíve open-source zealots spend all there time bashing Microsoft when if it's the most suitable for the job - use it.

When .NET comes out more and more we will see what the future of MS holds.

What I will say is (as an ASP/VBscript developer) Linux fails to cater for my needs as well as a good old Win box. For a start I can't use components and COM to say the least. It's too restricting.

WinXP

Dont know if you have figured it out yet but this is how you can set up WinXP pro as a webserver.

Put your WinXP pro disk in. (Think you must have Pro)
    Goto Start> Control Panel> Add Remove Programs> Add Remove Windows Components.
    Select IIS from the menu, if you want Ftp aswell click Advanced and select ftp. Click ok and IIS will install.
    You will then be able to connect to your webserver locally using
    http://localhost/
    Or remotly by using your isp's ip address. If you want to use a domain you will need to install a DNS server or use a 3rd party DNS provider (Some free).
    ASP is inlcluded with IIS, if you want ASP.net goto www.asp.net and download and install it (After IIS is installed)
    PHP can be downloaded and installed from www.php.net (Windows Binaries)
    MySQL from www.mysql.com

Just run the installers for each of the above programs.. Installing them on their default paths is your best bet if you are unsure.

You can only have one website on (Win xp pro and I am not sure if it limits you on connections)
    I have found it easy to use and set up and good for testing.
    Let me know if I can be of further assiistance.

Kind Regards
    Last edited by jgriff64; 10-13-2002 at 04:20 PM.
    www.38h.com - Windows Hosting, Resellers and Dedicated

www.iistalk.net Windows only forum.

jgriff64

i installed the IIS from WindowXp CD as you say.

when installation was done. i tried connecting to my own computer using the isp address
    Http://ip/

but den it gives me a error.

Forbidden
    You don't have permission to access / on this server.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/1.3.26 Server at localhost Port 80

how do i set permission?

and also when i open up the IIS control panel is say (stopped) and when i click start . it give me a error.

------
    unexpected error 0x8ffe2740
    ------

how do i fix this?
    Last edited by webuser12; 10-13-2002 at 06:03 PM.

Not sure what's happening as you're talking about an Apache problem and an IIS problem which has lost me.

Try reinstalling IIS, that should normally do the trick i.e remove it and reinstall it.

Before you re reinstal try to solve the problem. For the start try this Link

Regards,
    Register YOUR domain name now.
    DNSTop.com
    support (ad) dnstop dot com
    Stop paying high prices for domain names!

thank for all your help who helped me out. i'm such a newbie on IIS.

okay i found out whats the problem and its fixed.

does any one know what program is set to port 80 on computer?

cuz that was the reason y i encounter the error.

now i need to know. how do i set my browser to read port :8080?

or do i have to type in the url http://ip:8080 every single time?

why not just use 80?

You can go into IIS and configure the default port for your web to be 8080 if you wish. it's in the settings.

because if i use port 80..
    it gives me a error

i have installed ActivePerl

where do i put the scripts of perl and cgi (forum scripts) into what folder? do i put them in "scripts"?

because i cant find the folder "cgi-bin"

yes
    This forum officially ****ing sucks

Originally posted by webuser12
    i have installed ActivePerl

where do i put the scripts of perl and cgi (forum scripts) into what folder? do i put them in "scripts"?

because i cant find the folder "cgi-bin"
    cgi-bin is a directory found on Linux boxes, and it doesnt exist on windows machines.

Usually with a windows box you can place whatever executables you like anywhere you like in the websites folder and they will execute.

DO NOT USE XP AS A HOSTING ENVIRONMENT. Drop to 2k Advanced server or a unix/linux environment. XP is by no means a server os. Its not even worth it to use it for dev. As a beta tester, I use .NET and its more efficent than XP. Wait till .net comes out and use it. In fact, soon as you login to .NET it asks you to setup your sever and manage your web server and everything else you should ever need on a server platform. It includes many enhancements to 2000. Suggestion: Use 2k ad server (more IPS) for right now and then up to .net.

-Eric
    IQ Studio
    www.IQStudio.net
    Sales@IQStudio.net
    Create.Design.Innovate

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast