Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tery-Byte or HostPacket

Hello,

I am currently looking for a new webhoster and found Tera-Byte (http://www.tera-byte.com) and HostPacket (http://www.hostpacket.net) so far. It seems both have a good reputation here, but I would nevertheless like to know whether there are any particular issues why I should choose one of them over the other one. Thank you.

Alexander

I used to have an account with Tera-Byte. They're a good provider. They've also been around forever, for whatever that's worth.
    Jay » jay@frontdrive.com • AIM » FDrive Support
    Front Drive™ » Advanced multi-domain solutions
    http://www.frontdrive.com/

I also used to have an account with tera-byte, and it had everything I needed. I had no problems and the support was quick.

Hope this helped...
    Signature.

I'd vouch for HostPacket.net they have very fast support and good packages.

Re: Tery-Byte or HostPacket

Originally posted by zoid
    Hello,

I am currently looking for a new webhoster and found Tera-Byte
    My past experience with Tera-Byte showed them to have fairly decent servers and good service. However, I recently had a problem with them that, while not involving a great deal of money, showed me a side of them I never would have guessed existed.

Without going into a tremendous amount of detail, I will say that a couple of weeks ago, they posted a charge to one of my credit cards without my knowledge or prior authorization, and then refused to remove the charge when I pointed out the error to them. This was a card that I had used register a domain with them last year. They never indicated they'd be keeping this card number on file, nor did I ever authorize them to do so.

My personal feeling is that if a company cannot be trusted not to abuse your credit card information, they do not deserve your business.

-Bob
    Last edited by TMX; 08-10-2002 at 07:41 PM.

Cool Same...

I had the same problem with TB concerning credit card charges BUT they sorted it out for me - no problems and apologized.

m.

Re: Re: Tery-Byte or HostPacket

Originally posted by TMX

My past experience with Tera-Byte showed them to have fairly decent servers and good service. However, I recently had a problem with them that, while not involving a great deal of money, showed me a side of them I never would have guessed existed.

Without going into a tremendous amount of detail, I will say that a couple of weeks ago, they posted a charge to one of my credit cards without my knowledge or prior authorization, and then refused to remove the charge when I pointed out the error to them. This was a card that I had used register a domain with them last year. They never indicated they'd be keeping this card number on file, nor did I ever authorize them to do so.

My personal feeling is that if a company cannot be trusted not to abuse your credit card information, they do not deserve your business.

-Bob
    I do have a bit of a problem with this post, for one thing we do not save credit card information for Domain registrations, they are never renewed unless specified by the admin contact for the domain. for all hosting accounts an email reminder is sent out 10 days before its due indicating it will be renewed unless the customer tells us otherwise. we also do not refuse to remove charges made in error so there appears to be more to the story than is pointed out here. if you wish to get this looked at email me steve@tera-byte.com with the ticket number in question and i will do so

Steve

Hi Steve,

I'm an ex-happy tera-byte customer and i left only because i outgrew their shared hosting plan.

I can vouch for what steve said. When my domain is near due, email reminders are being sent out. I have to go to a renewal page and re-enters our CC information.

As for charges made in error, I'm quite sure they would gladly remove the charges once they are sure of the situation. I got myself a refund like 2 weeks into my 6 months contract paid in advance just because i outgrew their plan.

As for their support, there are always someone to answer the telephone. Email support are quick as well.

Re: Re: Re: Tery-Byte or HostPacket

Originally posted by Keeg

I do have a bit of a problem with this post, for one thing we do not save credit card information for Domain registrations, they are never renewed unless specified by the admin contact for the domain. for all hosting accounts an email reminder is sent out 10 days before its due indicating it will be renewed unless the customer tells us otherwise.
    Allow me to clarify - I registered the domain and set up a redirection.net account at the same time a year ago, or possibly two - I don't recall anymore. Anyway, when the domain came up for renewal this year, I renewed through Tera-byte, but opted to not renew the redirection.net address.

A few days later, the correct charge for the domain renewal, thirteen dollars and change, appeared on my charge card. A few days after that, a charge appeared on another charge account of mine for five dollars. This was the card I used to register my domain and set up the redirection.net account last year, and that had been sitting untouched in my dresser drawer since September of 2001.

we also do not refuse to remove charges made in error so there appears to be more to the story than is pointed out here.
    When I contacted tera-byte, I was informed by Travis Boucher that this charge was indeed for renewal of the redirection.net account. I wrote back and informed him that when I renewed the domain in question, I did so as a non-redirection-net account and would therefore appreciate a refund. His reply to me was:

"I cannot refund the charge. An email was sent to <redirection_address@somedomain> describing how to cancel the account. We did not receive a cancelation request, so it was renewed.".

Three problems right off the bat - First, here is a saved copy of your domain renewal form:

tera-byte domain renewal form

Please pay careful attention to the note at the bottom of the form that says "Note: Redirection.net customers please make sure you choose the correct option. Otherwise, your Redirection service will not be renewed".

I chose "Tera-Byte". According to your own printed words on your own renewal form, my redirection.net account was not to be renewed. Given this fact, Travis' correct response would have been "whoops, we need to fix that, here's your money back".

Second, there was never any disclosure of the fact that tera-byte or redirection.net would be keeping my charge card info on file, nor was their any notice that the redirection account would be automatically renewed and my card charged accordingly. It's not covered at all in your posted policies, and your FAQ said I would be billed, not charged. There is a difference.

Third, since when is lack of response on my part considered sufficient authorization for you to put charges on my charge card? That is, at best, a highly questionable practice.

if you wish to get this looked at email me steve@tera-byte.com with the ticket number in question and i will do so
    Are you Steve Keyser? If so, you already responded to me on this before turning it over to Travis Boucher. I'll send you the ticket number all the same though if you still want to see it.

It is out of my hands now though. I've said what I had to say, contacted my credit card company, and consider the matter closed.

I would have much preferred to settle this in an amicable fashion, but I really don't have all this time to waste over a lousy five bucks. I suspect you probably don't either.

-Bob
    Last edited by TMX; 08-13-2002 at 04:53 AM.

Thank you very much for your replies. It seems there are no major downsides at either of the both companies, however one of my concerns at Tera-Byte is that they do not support subdomains for shared hosting.

Alexander

yes TMX i would like to see the ticket as what your saying here doesnt sound quite correct and yes 5.00 is well worth my time, if you are correct thats your 5.00 not mine.

Zoid the 3 and 4u plans do support subdomains its only the "r" plans that do not.

Steve
    Last edited by Keeg; 08-13-2002 at 02:31 PM.

Hi Bob,

First of all, Keeg = Steve Kayser.

Secondly, I'm quite sure Steve would refund you after he investigated into it. (based on you choosed Tera-byte and not redirection.net during renewal)

Thirdly, I would accept billed = charged. This is because on the internet, no one would send you a bill and gives a link to a payment page on the bill for you to make payment. For my hosting account, i was billed and at the same time, it showed that payment received from my credit card.

Fourthly, I *think* tera-byte dont keep CC info. I think it is their CC processing company (e.g 2checkout) that keeps your information. They has your credit card information maybe your payment is set as recurring thus you are being charged for the renewal(*this* maybe the mistake)

terra byte

After I had serval major problems with hosts dissappearing I resolved that I would either host myself or would visit a host's offices before handing over my website.

I did physically visit Terrra Byte in Edmonton, along with two other hosting companies.

Terra Byte is a real hosting company with real offices in a high rise (about 20 stories) business tower close to the downtown core of Edmonton. They have I would guess about half the floor. There is a server room, and real people walking around. Although I must say that on the day that I visited, there were only three rather overworked peopel there, all in their early twenties I would say. The server room was set off seperately, and had I'd say about half a dozen cages about a quarter full, with varius towers, pizza box's and Cobalt servers.

Which makes them a lot better than another host I went to, which literally had a single desk, under a single light bulb, in a tiny (like one desk and a bookshelf big) windowless space, in the basement of a building. With no one at all there. You'd never know that from their website, which proclaimed themselves, as professionals and the usual marketing stuff. A blatent lie.

I also visted a thried host, which was located in downtown Edmonton, in an old bank building. they had about 20 or so peopel working there, and their server room was an undgerground vault, three storeis down-nuclear bomb proff I would say. They had a real customer service person, and a real president etc, all of whom were willing to tak a few seconds and say hello.

Bottom line is, Terra Byte was real, and many aren't, so be careful. I didn't end up using them for other reasons. And in the spirit of none disclosure, I have no relationship with them what so ever.

Hope this helps.

calgaryhere im not sure where or who you have confused us with to see "The server room was set off seperately, and had I'd say about half a dozen cages about a quarter full, with varius towers, pizza box's and Cobalt servers. " our serverroom is directly in the center of our office however we have no cages at all our server room is openplan, we do have various colo dedicated rooms off to the side of our main server room but thats rather resent. yes my staff is overworked but thats the way they like it.

the third host you visited was OAnet (they are the only one to meet that description) they are currently in recievership

Steve

Steve,

I remember coming in through the locked double hallway doors and walking down the hall and being shown a server room on the right. I stand corrected on the use of the word 'cages', I saw 'racks' :>

But I guess that wasn't the point I was reaching for, although I think that as this is a technical forum, I should be careful with my lingo. The point I was reaching for was that you were a 'real' company, with real people and not operating out of a basement somewhere. Which is a good thing!

And...btw...I thought the people there were very nice, and helpful.

OA is gone? That is too bad...but I like their space...maybe you guys should grab it!! Nice coffee shops nearby :>

cheers

not a problem calgaryhere the racks though in our server room number over 150 not a half a dozen so the reason i was confused was the combination of terms used and estimates. yes they are gone the building will probably not be avaliable for some time due to ownership issues but it is a pretty good facility

Steve

I've co-located boxes with TB and they are decent. They ping a little high from the US because their in Canada and getting equipment to/from them can get expensive fast. If you're not co-locating, that obviously isn't a concern. A little rough around the edges on billing, but straightened it out fairly quickly.

I had several problems with Tera-Byte. A little less than a year ago, they deleted my whole account without notice due to "server changes". I lost pretty much my whole site. Then, this June, they canceled my account due to "nonpayment" when they never even charged my credit card or sent me a bill. I am now happily hosted with ICDSoft.

Originally posted by DJ

Thirdly, I would accept billed = charged.
    I wasn't going to respond in the interest of not dragging this thread any further off-topic, but really.... one doesn't rewrite the dictionary based upon where one does business.

http://www.dictionary.com/search?q=charge

http://www.dictionary.com/search?q=billed

-Bob

Originally posted by Keeg
    yes TMX i would like to see the ticket
    I'll get it to you.

-Bob

Originally posted by swtanela
    I had several problems with Tera-Byte. A little less than a year ago, they deleted my whole account without notice due to "server changes". I lost pretty much my whole site. Then, this June, they canceled my account due to "nonpayment" when they never even charged my credit card or sent me a bill. I am now happily hosted with ICDSoft.
    I too dont really like to see this dragged off topic however in TMX's case i would like to resolve the issue. however this post is a little inaccurate. yes in Nov of 2001 a server did experience some issues and we relocated all the sites,however that relocation email did not reach swtanela due to some issues with the email address used in the contact info, the final portion is inaccurate, an email was sent out reguarding the renewal of this account, to the new address supplied as a point of contact, the owner of the account said they wished to cancel, a request was made for some standard verification information, there was no reply. the account was attempted to be renewed as we didnt get that info and the charge was declined. the site then remained intact for the next thirty days before it was deleted to give the person an oportunity to reactivate it if they so desired. Im not saying we are perfect, issues do occur from time to time, if we error i do try to make it right but i see no need for a post like this one bashing a company, any company, with inaccurate statments

Steve

Terra-Byte is expensive

I too looked at Terra-Byte, but thought they were very expensive for their virtual hosting. $69/month for 2GB of data with 50GB of data transfer seems high.

I recently received this quote from Tera-byte's CEO Steve, and am curious if it is accurate:

"i have been in business for 9 yrs and we have over 1.8 million customers world wide all gained through word of mouth"

This is considerably larger than anything I imagined and was wondering where he may be getting his figures?

Just a guess, But by the amount of accounts they have in there accounts database?

I can believe they have that many, But that also includes freesites hosted at spaceports i do believe.

For what it's worth id choose tera-byte, Have an RAQ3 there love the service and network is like a rock.

Re: Tery-Byte or HostPacket

Originally posted by zoid
    Hello,

I am currently looking for a new webhoster and found Tera-Byte (http://www.tera-byte.com) and HostPacket (http://www.hostpacket.net) so far. It seems both have a good reputation here, but I would nevertheless like to know whether there are any particular issues why I should choose one of them over the other one. Thank you.
    I started with Tera-Byte about 1 1/2 years ago. First with a dedicated RAQ3 server for a year, then with my 1U co-located FreeBSD server.

The service and tech support has been excellent. Yes, there has been a problem with the UPS that my server was on. Yes, the problem was fixed quickly. And, most important, yes, I was informed quickly of the issues and resolution. I have been running computer rooms for corporations for about 18 years now, so I know that stuff happens. TB's handling of the problems has been quick and professional.

I have had a couple of times when there was a billing error. I submitted a problem ticket about the error, and it was always resolved satisfactorily.

And the big bonus is that I expect them to be around for a while. ...
    This space for let.
    Inquire within.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast