View Poll Results: Did you finish college and get a diploma/degree/GED?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I did

49 67.12%
  • No I didn't. I just opened up a business instead.

20 27.40%
  • College? Psh I didn't even finish elementary school!

4 5.48%

How many host owners have finished college here?

I was wondering how many people actually finished college here and got a diploma/degree/GED for this profession? Because there seems to be a lot who really didn't go through that whole process.

Your question should be "How many hostng owners will be starting college?"

College? Psh I didn't even finish elementary school!
    What about people who have finished elementary school, but haven't had the chance to go to college yet!? Hehe, in other words middle schoolers and high schoolers.

I think another good poll would be how many of those web hosting owners who went to college took some kind of administration class(es), or if they went to hosting later in their life.
    Matt De Leon
    GreekComm - http://www.greekcomm.com/
    Online Community for Greek Fraternities and Sororities.

[email protected]

I quit as a Junior in CS because the curriculum stank and I learned more on the job.

Yeah I'm prone to screw up too. Shoulda finished, then maybe I'd have a "real job" instead of this company
    Gary Harris - the artist formerly known as Dixiesys
    resident grumpy redneck

Dixiesys what a failure you are. Shoulda gotten a "real job" instead of that company

Hell only having to work 9-5 at 1/3rd the pay would rule for a while
    Gary Harris - the artist formerly known as Dixiesys
    resident grumpy redneck

your poll is a little confusing, listing a GED with getting a degree.

I've been working on my degree part time for nigh on fifteen years now. Hard to go fulltime when you have kids, a mortgage, a voracious apetite for Guinness etc. The degree is just to help out with the business (taking business mgt w/ ecommerce and marketing double-minor) and as a safety net in case I need to look for a corporate job.

Having said that, I wish I could have finished when I started. I wouldn't be working 100+hrs/week now!
    Learn survival/prepper information from a combat veteran at Graywolf Survival

perl -le '$_=`man perlfaq1`;print/"(j.*)"/'
    When you're dealing with skill-specific things such as networking, administration and security, there is no College that can teach you what most of us deal with every day. I could get a degree in networking and spend a few years wasting my time and money just to teach the teachers how to do their job. College doesn't present you with a real problem that must be corrected and it doesn't have your job or company on the line and fails to simulate real life enough to be a useful step towards sharpening one's skills, IMHO. If I wanted to work for AT&T, I'd go to College and get a degree. I don't. I want to be AT&T, and there is no degree for that.
    Richard Ward
    1 NET LANE, LLC.
    http://www.1NL.net
    The low cost data center.

Originally posted by Dixiesys
    I quit as a Junior in CS because the curriculum stank and I learned more on the job.
    I share the same experience... 3 semesters in I was questioning the amount of time I had wasted and left.

I'm not saying college is a waste of time, I took a load of writing classes, psychology, etc while I was there, but they were never going to teach me the technologies I was interested in.

I am doing BCS right now...but think of doing B-Commerce but then...boy i wish i could just finish up this college stuff and get down to real business...

This brings up an interesting question... How many of you would prefer to finish college and get a "real job" (as it was said) back when you had to make a decision. Or you would still choose to take the same steps and be where you are now?

So college is a waste of time eh ? Maan here I am paying 24 grand a year to get a double major in e-commerce and networking for nothing...but college does give you some background on stuff. For example, I'm a freshmen now and I am already learning java programming and the basics of networking. We have our own computer lab where we work semi-hands on. I can't say just hands on because they usually talk more than we work.

I think getting a full education is something you should strive for. I don't think however that an education will lead to success, nor the lack of one hinder someone who has enough drive:

http://www.education-reform.net/dropouts.htm
    (Famous Education Drop-outs)

The only way to really succeed in anything is to get in there and work like hell. A full education *should* make it easier to open doors though, so is worthwhile.

Greg Moore
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

A degree for this profession? What about those who have degrees in math or history but not CS?

My vote: do another, better, poll.

In high school
    Graduated from high school, no college
    In college
    Have CS degree
    Have other college degree

Originally posted by OtakuVillage
    So college is a waste of time eh ? Maan here I am paying 24 grand a year to get a double major in e-commerce and networking for nothing...but college does give you some background on stuff. For example, I'm a freshmen now and I am already learning java programming and the basics of networking. We have our own computer lab where we work semi-hands on. I can't say just hands on because they usually talk more than we work.
    What college is this that you're going to? Just wondering...

I was wondering how many people actually finished college here and got a diploma/degree/GED for this profession?
    Whoops.
    I just misvoted "Yes"

Yes, I have two degrees, but neither of them in this field.
    In fact I went into this business because I wanted away from that previous life.

Gordon
    Formerly: Managing Director, Hostroute.com Ltd & Marketing Director, Ultraspeed UK Ltd
    View my Professional Profile: www.gordonhudson.com

I go to Depaul University in Chicago, IL. It's an extremely good/eaaasssy school. I don't intend to drop out from there because well believe it or not I think education is important and college really isn't a big hassle (exept all of the reading ). I'm going into a double major of Networking and E-Commerce. More can be found at https://cti.depaul.edu.

Also for the poll I was just wondering if you did finish college and get your degrees in anything. I mean math is important when using networking and other computer aspects (I believe that math majors are some of the prime geniouses in our community these days since people usually have hard time with math). English is also important, because if you can't spell commands correctly I mean how the hell do you expect to have the computer running properly. So...yeah I was just thinking of any major since all majors tend to make you think a little more critically than you did before.

I graduated from University of Maryland in 95 with a dual degree....one in Information Systems Management and the other for Business Management. I did learn quite a bit while I was in college but I think I'd still be in the same place with or without my degrees.
    Alex B.

Heh, just 3 classes away from dual degrees in Computer Network Engineering and Computer Engineering. Now if only the cheapskate hosting company owner that I work for would pay for those three classes life would be good. Oh wait, thats me

I got a degree in eng, but is the additional business courses that I would be most lost without.

I would recomend that anyone starting a business or running a business to get 2 or 3 marketing courses and a good basic accounting courses at least. Also I have seen many business people for which 1 or 2 seminars in organizational management has done wonders.

If you don't have the time now that your business consumes your time why not get some good business books and magazines.

I wuz wanten to goes to the collige, buts them woodent lets me in.

I was going to college full time for the past 2 years, but it was getting to be too much to handle both work and school. Just transfered and now I am going part time for Business Administration/CIS.
    TroubleFree SysAdmin/CP Programmer
    https://admin.trouble-free.net

Whats coming out of this thread is that there are two types of web hosting company owner:

1. technical people

2. buseness people/entrepreuners.

I fall into category 2 and hire people in category 1

Gordon
    Formerly: Managing Director, Hostroute.com Ltd & Marketing Director, Ultraspeed UK Ltd

I'm also curious the split between 2-year and 4-year degrees.
    Who has a certification? Multiple certifications?
    Who has an Associates degree or equivalent?
    Bachelors? Masters? Any Ph.D.'s in the house???

College is an extremely vast field that I am uncomfortable seeing lumped into one generic category. I guarantee the education I received was vastly different from the wanna-be technical college down the road. (Trust me, this is farm country, our T.C. sucks) I have taken many courses at the T.C. since earning my bachelors and I don't study for tests, and yet my lowest score is a 92%. I am not above average intelligence, it's just that the T.C. is a veritable high school in college clothing. It's a disgrace and a waste of my tax money. *steps off soap box*

That said, my 4-year degree (which I took on the six-year plan at two separate institutions) was about a lot more than classes and lectures about "things I'll never use." I learned about people, places and ideas that I would never come across anyplace else. Critical thinking, debate and the broadening of my frame of reference for all things I come across, were also vital parts of the experience. I know how to take a project, map it out, and complete it... I learned "how" to learn, and I tackle every professional learning situation with the same tenacity and dedication as I learned in the course of that college experience.

Admittedly a person will get out of college what they put into it. Not everyone is big on high grades and pushing 100% academics, I recognize and accept that I was anal that way however it's a pricey endeavor and I'm proud to walk away knowing I gave it my best... in the personal scope of things, that's important to me. It isn't important to everyone and I respect that.

Now as an employer looking to hire, I look for college experience and will admit that a drop-out is both unimpressive and also a red flag. The student who "didn't like it" or "isn't the college type" and decided to quit, is probably not a person who's going to apply themself to my business, either, if it doesn't all go their way. I don't want a drop-out, I want someone with a can-do attitude and a proven track record, who can show me they can pull off whatever they set their mind to. Unless there is something very special about the candidate or the circumstances, I almost always don't hire at all, before I hire a drop-out. I know of few people who "like" to work really hard for other people (professors) and fail to get recognized for their diligence (grades not as high as we think we deserve) and yet that's what college is about. That's what pushes students to work harder and harder and finally achieve what they are truly capable of. (Although some professors just plain suck, yes) It is a highly frustrating experience. If a person doesn't have the maturity and strength to push through that, validate their own good work when others won't, and make a long term commitment to a single goal they've set (that being, to degree), then I remain unconvinced that that same person will care a single iota for my business when it comes time to set goals and follow through. I need someone I can rely on, who's got the grit, the background, and an informed perspective.

Anyways that's just my 2 worth. I know others will vary and this has been an extremely interesting discussion.

Bailey
    Last edited by baileysemt123; 10-14-2002 at 03:42 AM.

GordonH> excellent point.

I should mention that I am hiring in a retail/storefront business, not in the technical/computers/internet field. So my disucussion about the needs of a candidate may well vary from what candidates "need" in a technical position.

Also when I refer to a "drop-out" I stereotype in my mind to a mad-at-the-world lazy bum luser who thinks we should all hand him or her everything on a silver platter by the graces of his/her breathing. I realize that many folks have family, financial and health circumstances which prevent them from continuing college. I don't wish to slam anybody, I'm in the same position ($$) with wanting to complete my paramedic certification. We all make the best choices we can when we're presented with them.

Anyways thought I'd clarify some of my assumptions before someone gets all excited. :p

Bailey

Bailey
    On the drop out front there are also people who prefer to work than go to college or university.
    I have a friend with a major business built up while his friends were at University.
    He is in no way a drop out.

Mind you I am recruiting just now and some of the CV's people send in.....
    You wonder why they bother applying.

Gordon