Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question What do we need......??

Hi!

I am very interested in the web hosting market.

I want to know what do we need to start a hosting business??

I am not talking about reseller or something, but I mean "REAL"/own hosting??

Thanks a lot!!

Hello,

You need the following:

1.) Devotion/Dedication/Support Staff/Server Admin
    2.) A server with good speeds=]
    3.) Advertisement (locally or worldwide via ads)
    4.) Way of accepting money (merchant account)
    I am sure there are alot of posts on WHT with more info. Hope this helped a little. I am sure someone else will post a more detailed list and descriptions for each.
    Orlando Magic--> 05-06 CHAMPS

I don't think anyone is going to write a 4 page summery of what you need

if you dont know what you need, then maybe you shouldn't be starting a hosting company
    modiphy.com :: Phenomenal Web Design
    modiHost.com :: Affordable Web Hosting

Modihost, there is nothing wrong with asking for info on starting a web hosting biz. But I am sure he will do research before he gets into anything=]
    Orlando Magic--> 05-06 CHAMPS

Originally posted by modihost
    I don't think anyone is going to write a 4 page summery of what you need

if you dont know what you need, then maybe you shouldn't be starting a hosting company
    You are ABSOLUTELY WRONG. He may just be getting advice. I think it would be smarter to ask for tips and advice rather than going ahead without any idea of what your doing.
    Matt De Leon
    GreekComm - http://www.greekcomm.com/
    Online Community for Greek Fraternities and Sororities.

Start with a solid business plan. After that, go with what SHosts said.

Yes, you will need a solid, sound business plan. Let the business plan sort of guide you through everything. You should set goals for your web hosting business, such as when you want to be ready for business, and also set limitations, like how much you are willing to spend on advertising, etc... After that, do what sHosts said!
    Matt De Leon

Re: What do we need......??

Originally posted by Wholesale
    I am very interested in the web hosting market.

I want to know what do we need to start a hosting business??

I am not talking about reseller or something, but I mean "REAL"/own hosting??
    At the same time, "What do we need...?" could cover an aweful lot. I thin khe/she needs to give us some background on where they need the details filled in. If they know absolutely nothing about hosting then that's one thing. Having an interest in the web hosting market is wonderful, however having a lack of understanding about *everything* is another.

So my question is, where are you (Wholesale) in all of this?
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

• Chicken

Agreed!

At least he/she knows enough to come to WebHostingTalk.com for information!
    Matt De Leon

Originally posted by sHosts
    Hello,

You need the following:

1.) Devotion/Dedication/Support Staff/Server Admin
    2.) A server with good speeds=]
    3.) Advertisement (locally or worldwide via ads)
    4.) Way of accepting money (merchant account)
    I am sure there are alot of posts on WHT with more info. Hope this helped a little. I am sure someone else will post a more detailed list and descriptions for each.

For #2, a server, how do we setup a server??

Or are there any websites that talk more about this??

Thanks anyways! You guys are great!

There's a really valuable source for all the information you should need here.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Originally posted by SoftWareRevue
    There's a really valuable source for all the information you should need here.

The link is...........???

The link is...........???
    It's right here

For #2, a server, how do we setup a server??
    What is more important than actually knowing how to do everything, is being able to find the information yourself. Use this site, use google, get some links together, some resources. I know that's what you seem to be attempting to do, however a discussion forum is great to fill in the gaps when you have a specific question, are confused, stuck, or have a problem. It isn't the place where people tell you from the very beginning how to set up web servers.

Search google: http://www.3street.org/Linux/linux-httpd.html

This is old, and I'm sure there are more current resources, however the point is that the information is out there. You need to get the basics and then come back with specific problems.

I really don't want to duplicate a search engine's findings here in this post, so best to just go to google and start looking. I found many in a couple of simple searches.
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

• Chicken

re:

Well... I'm agree with other guys but there are too many companies on this market. Why do you think you'll build a profitable one?

Regards
    webmaster

Originally posted by sHosts
    Modihost, there is nothing wrong with asking for info on starting a web hosting biz. But I am sure he will do research before he gets into anything=]
    How sure are you? anyone who asks such a question is bound to have done very little or NO research whatsoever.

Have you seen the number of new hosts that popped up recently? Were they here asking questions before? Maybe they were, but definately not questions such as those posed by the thread starter.

Someone should really write a book on how to start an online biz, then we can all direct them there.
    YourCheapHost.com - Low cost multi domain hosting solutions. [Legal adult content friendly]
    Reliable web site hosting is our motto. We have Alertra stats to back that up.
    Proven provider of high quality shared and reseller accounts since 2002.

Originally posted by net-trend

How sure are you? anyone who asks such a question is bound to have done very little or NO research whatsoever.

Have you seen the number of new hosts that popped up recently? Were they here asking questions before? Maybe they were, but definately not questions such as those posed by the thread starter.

Someone should really write a book on how to start an online biz, then we can all direct them there.

Calm down net-trend......

I want to get some ideas here first, then I will do my research OF COURSE!!!!

I NEVER KNOW this forum is not allowed to ask this type of questions!! omfg

I elect you to write the "business on the net" book!

(IT'll be really easy... take any standard business book, and add in chapters at the end about the net and combining business with it---as the general principles are the same, just delivery billing and content could be different.

actually, if you don't have a lot of customers already, then reselling is probably as 'real' as you should get right now. there is so much to learn about the marketing, security and such that you'd be paying for space and services that you don't need yet. you can always migrate your customers to a dedicated server when you need it. reselling accounts will hold you for a while.

There are some books you should look into in the meantime, like http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...lance&n=507846 (web hosting by carl burnham).

I think you really need to either start really small like this, or hire people to do this for you.
    Learn survival/prepper information from a combat veteran at Graywolf Survival

The number one thing you need to run a webhosting business is pants! everyone always forgets them! you cant run it without pants!
    Myles Loosley-Millman - admin@prioritycolo.com
    Priority Colo Inc. - Affordable Colocation & Dedicated Servers.
    Two Canadian facilities serving Toronto & Markham, Ontario
    http://www.prioritycolo.com

not true! i'm not wearing any pants!

Calm down net-trend......

I want to get some ideas here first, then I will do my research OF COURSE!!!!

I NEVER KNOW this forum is not allowed to ask this type of questions!! omfg
    Mind you, i'm calm and relaxed 99.9% of the time guaranteed.

Also, asking questions in this forum is very much allowed and recommended. However, of late there have been a lot of people who are asking questions like yours who have done no research whatsoever.

If one were serious about the webhosting industry, they would have done their research before attempting to ask any questions seeking for help.

This principle applies the same as well to numerous other industries in the world, you just don't walk into a shoe shop and say, "I want to be like Nike, how do i go about doing that?"
    YourCheapHost.com - Low cost multi domain hosting solutions. [Legal adult content friendly]
    Reliable web site hosting is our motto. We have Alertra stats to back that up.
    Proven provider of high quality shared and reseller accounts since 2002.

Originally posted by skelley1
    not true! i'm not wearing any pants!
    Try to go to a bank tellar to make a withdrawl now, or better yet, a "deposit", see how far you get
    Myles Loosley-Millman - admin@prioritycolo.com
    Priority Colo Inc. - Affordable Colocation & Dedicated Servers.
    Two Canadian facilities serving Toronto & Markham, Ontario
    http://www.prioritycolo.com

so THAT's what they meant when they handcuffed me *slaps forehead*

Originally posted by net-trend

Mind you, i'm calm and relaxed 99.9% of the time guaranteed.

Also, asking questions in this forum is very much allowed and recommended. However, of late there have been a lot of people who are asking questions like yours who have done no research whatsoever.

If one were serious about the webhosting industry, they would have done their research before attempting to ask any questions seeking for help.

This principle applies the same as well to numerous other industries in the world, you just don't walk into a shoe shop and say, "I want to be like Nike, how do i go about doing that?"

I told you already. I will do research... I just want to get some ideas here first.....ok??

Anyways, don't reply me as I don't want to talk to you anymore...

Thanks for your co-operation....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast