* Just put Win2k on desktop - now have some (minor) problems & questions

Last night I finally had some time to reformat my computer and put a decent OS on. Very glad to be rid of crap ME. Reformatted both drives, put 2k on and downloaded 90mb of drivers/windows updates (this is on 56K lol). Now i have a few questions, some sound very dumb I'm sure :

I've heard there is a way for Win2K to emulate 98 for certain applications. Is this true?

Is there any way to tell windows to defrag on startup, so as it can do a complete defrag rather than having to leave system fragments?

I've read ( http://www.ntcompatible.com/article1.shtml ) about allocating more CPU share to an application. Does this compromise stability?

When I try to run GTA3 it says i need to be logged on as Administrator so that it can render for my video card properly. Trouble is, I'm always logged on as administrator. Suggestions?

And finally, are there any tweaks that anyone can reccommend to improve the usability of win2k on a desktop machine? Or suggestions (ie things not to do etc)

Thanks,
    Chris
    -Chris
    "There are 10 kinds of people; those who understand binary, and those who don't."

As for tweaks for win2k its very stable so no need. As for running windows 98 applications on it they should run (atleast most of them). If they don't theres not really anything you can do (unless you can get xp, which I'm partial against). I've never heard of anything like the GTA3 Problem you have. I wouldn't recommend defraging on start up unless your drives are extremly small. But if you really want to goto like download.com theres tons of utilities out there to start up applications like you want to. Hope you get it going good and awesome choice of os.
    -Robert Norton
    www.SophMedia.com

Re: Just put Win2k on desktop - now have some (minor) problems & questions

Originally posted by Mester
    I've heard there is a way for Win2K to emulate 98 for certain applications. Is this true?
    If it's necessary, then yes. Create a shorcut to the exectutable, then right click on the shortcut, click properties > compatibility and choose Windows 98 Compatibility Layer from the drop down menu.
    -Bruce

Thansk for advice on not tweaking... Here is the error message on GTA. It appears when attempting to start a new game when the load bar is about 4/5 of the way finished:

"Cannot covert textures for your video card. You must login to an Administrator account to do this. Press ESC to quit."

I would post screenshot but ti would appear paint cannot save as jpg (?)
    -Chris
    "There are 10 kinds of people; those who understand binary, and those who don't."

hmm im running gta3 right now and it runs fine (fun game too btw). What kind of video card are you running.
    -Robert Norton
    www.SophMedia.com

ATI Radeon 8500le 128mb ddr

Latest drivers from ati and via. Not sure if theres something else I'm missing.

Heres the computer not sure if it makes a difference:

Athlon 650
    Asus k7v
    30gig 5400rpm maxtor
    640mb 133mhz ram
    on-board sound

Any ideas?
    -Chris

hmm maybe gta3 doesn't like ati i know alot of games dont...i couldn't get it to run on my laptop which has lik a 8500 chipset on it....runs good on my gforce 4 though...
    -Robert Norton
    www.SophMedia.com

Hmm well thats no good at all. I bought the 8500 jsut for GTA up from my old AllinWonder 128 32mb (ran fine on that).

O well i keep trying it every time i turn on computer hoping it will work lol
    -Chris