Arrow Idead to get web hosts to sign up for my service?

Hey,

I just launched Bizient.com. It's kind of like LendingTree.com, but for hosting. Basically, people who need hosting sign up, and web hosts pay a subscription fee to contact these leads.

What's the best way for me to find ISPs? So far there are over 1,000 new leads from the past week, so I don't have a problem finding people who need hosting...

One thing I'm consindering is paying 25% (or so) to affiliates/salespeople who try to sell the service.

Also, to you web hosts, check it out and tell me what you think. This is not necessarily spam -- rather, I just launched it and am wondering about ideas you all might have to make the service more useful to ISPs... i want it to be one of those win-win things -- I make money, and ISPs make money. think it's possible with a site like this?

check it:
    http://www.bizient.com/

- pud

ps i also run www.f---edcompany.com , if you know it...... thanks yall.
    Last edited by pud; 10-12-2002 at 04:38 PM.

I think the problem is you are charging a little too much for the service. Other hosting directories offer a free membership with them taking a %age of the sale. You are charging $60 for access to customer information. How are we supposed to know the number of customers we will get.

In other words, how do we justify spending $60/mo?

Originally posted by akash
    I think the problem is you are charging a little too much for the service. Other hosting directories offer a free membership with them taking a %age of the sale. You are charging $60 for access to customer information. How are we supposed to know the number of customers we will get.

In other words, how do we justify spending $60/mo?
    Good point. There are a ton of great leads in there from people who are ready to buy, but you have no way of knowing that.

Here's an idea: Maybe I should allow hosts to browse/search/list all the leads for free, but without contact info..? Then if they like what they see, they pay and get the leads. Think I'd get more sales that way? (there are currently 9 hosts signed up)

Thoughts?

- pud

Hmmm... Interesting but I agree with akash. If I did it I'd do the full access but it's hard without knowing. Maybe the no contact info idea would work.

Aaron
    Aaron Wendel
    Wholesale Internet, Inc. - http://www.wholesaleinternet.net
    Kansas City Internet eXchange - http://www.kcix.net

Sorry, I had to say this.

OMG, it's pud.

Here's an idea: Maybe I should allow hosts to browse/search/list all the leads for free, but without contact info..? Then if they like what they see, they pay and get the leads. Think I'd get more sales that way? (there are currently 9 hosts signed up)
    Before I had read your post, I had thought of this idea. Something similar to an evaluation-period/demo would be likely to interest hosts.

Implementing a function similar to this would most likely be more efficient to potential customers.
    Last edited by progex; 10-12-2002 at 05:24 PM.

You should pretty much just copy elance.com, they have essentially the same service and they way they do it is pretty nice.

Although $150/mo for leads is quite steep for a brand-new site. Why not give a discounted first month or free or work on a %?

FIRST!!!

Oh, I'm a bit late, darn.

Anywho, I did notice you placed the signup link on the site now ( which was missing ) which should get you more sign ups. I had a look at the pricing and im just not sure if its all worth it really. I mean, where is your traffic comming from? Are these just people from fc entering a few numbers just to see what it turns up? Why would I put my $$ into an idea ( as much as I love your work pud ) like this when I can give my $$ to an already existing hosting directory ?

am i correct in assuming that you are trying to do something similar to respond.com?

Originally posted by WebHozt
    am i correct in assuming that you are trying to do something similar to respond.com?
    never seen it, checking it out now...... i was trying to do the same sort of thing as www.lendingtree.com or www.ileads.com , but for hosting

Originally posted by pud

never seen it, checking it out now...... i was trying to do the same sort of thing as www.lendingtree.com or www.ileads.com , but for hosting
    First, welcome to the board pud, its good to have a celebrity
    around .

If you want some unsolicited business plan advice, I think you should focus on the dedicated/colo/enterprise market. Here is why:

1. If you look at lendingtree and places like that you are talking about high dollar amounts with a fixed bottom (no bank is going to offer too much lower than X% on a loan in a given week, and the other banks know those numbers).

2. Shared hosting doesn't work that way, there are too many hosts out there offering ridiculous pricing for shared hosting -- they can't make a profit, but don't care. The people using this service are pretty much always going to go for the lowest price, so a lot of shared hosting companies (those interested in being profitable) are not going to use your service.

3. Dedicated/Colocation hosting is a much smaller field, and the prices tend to be more stable, with ways, aside from price, to differentiate yourself from other hosts. Hosting companies like Rackshack and Rackspace can co-exist in the dedicated market because they are looking for different customers, and different customers are looking for them.

4. If you want to be like lendingtree, the other thing you should consider is marketing directly to sales people -- especially at larger companies. If you can get in to the sales staff at places like Sprint, AT&T, Conxion, Digex, C&W etc you will have an easier sell than trying to pitch to those companies directly -- these sales people need sales, and some of them need it bad. There is a lot of M&A activity right now in hosting, but not a lot of deals closing -- access to motivated buyers is something these sales people need.

5. Finally, keep in mind that hosting companies/hosting sales people are like real estate agents, if one is doing it, the others all have to do it. Once you build up a strong list of companies who participate (btw: you should list the companies on the site, so they know their competition is already using your service), the others will follow like blind sheep. It might cost you to get that initial group, but once they are in place, you will find it a lot easier to add more users.