stupid question...

hi, i'm one of the legions who were signed up with cyberwings before it tanked (don't hurt me), and i was wondering-- i signed up with them for my domain name as well as my space, so does that mean my domain name is still viable or did it crash into the ground along with my web hosting? i know i didn't pay a lot so it's not like i'm really upset but if i still have my domain name, i could restart my site with another server. and if so, can someone give me a few reliable and (relatively) inexpensive hosting services? i know i can't get a bargain or anything but i'm a poor college student and i figure someone must have a plan i can use...

thanks for your help!
    -meg

Hi Meg,

Cyberwings wasn't a real domain registrar. They were just reselling services for wildwestdomains.com.

If you go to their page and try to login to your domain account from there I am pretty sure it will work out.

Check WHOIS on your domain name. If you are listed as bill and admin contact, you can modify name servers on the domain.

However, if CW is listed as bill and admin contact, you will have to contact them and request to transfer the ownership of the domain to you.

And I am sure the others will recommend you the hosts.
    I choose not to use my signature for advertising.

It doesn't matter how much you claim how important your data is. If it's not backed up, it's not important.

thanks for the really quick replies; i'm going to go check that out.
    -meg

okay, i just went to go check up on the whois information, and i'm listed as the registrant and it says it was registered through "Domains Priced Right" but nothing about billing or admin information.

sorry, i'm just sort of stuck here.
    -meg

What's your domain that needs to be looked at?
    I choose not to use my signature for advertising.

It doesn't matter how much you claim how important your data is. If it's not backed up, it's not important.

domainspricedright.com = wildwestdomains.com

Don't you just luv this market?

Go to this link and login to your account.

https://www.secureserver.net/account...inspricedright

Ok, hang on. More info

So you registered your domain with cyberwings. Only they registered it through wildwestdomains.com who are domainspricedright.com who appear to be all resellers for jomax.net who are in reality godaddy.com

Conclusion: your domain is registered with godaddy.com

Unless further investigations will show up which prove that godaddy is actually a company of Network Solutions

Try the "manage my account" buttons on any of these sites and you should be able to log in on at least one if not all of them

aaagh...

great, i've gone through all that and they can't find my information or my password. ugh. anyway, i emailed the people at verisign to give me a password so i can look up the billing information... otherwise maybe i'll just cut my losses and start fresh.

anyone have any ideas for some (relatively on both counts) inexpensive and reliable places to get web hosting? i'm not necessarily looking for the most fantastic hosting on earth because i'll never be able to afford it, and it's a personal website as opposed to an e-commerce one so i don't have to worry about losing customers. just something a bit better than cyberwings, if you know what i mean.

Hi Sugarzombie.....

I am an ex Cyberwings customer myself .....I cut my losses on July 3rd and came to this forum for advice on the recommendation of others........After some research I chose to go with dot5hosting.com .I have 7 sites with them and am very pleased with their service and their response times when I have any questions. You can check them out from the search above, you will find their plans are quite reasonable as well...........

Good Luck in your search
    Sparrow
    www.sparrowzworld.net

it occurred to me also by posting such a vague request i didn't mention any (minor) requirements i have... basically, i don't require a ton of space, probably 100mb at most really. the only real major things i need are access for cgi and a host that supports php4/perl 5 (i'm trying to run the greymatter software and i know it requires it). basically, a personal site's requirements, you know?

and thanks sparrow, though i'm a little unclear by dot5hosting's plans... i was trying to look up a custom plan to save a bit of money on it but i can't tell if certain options are still included with the plan. really the big things i'm worried over are the php4/perl5 and cgi...

thanks everyone again...
    -meg

I like Site5.com.

http://www.site5.com/virtual/comparison.html if you want to look at their plans. They seem to offer everything you want. Very good plans, very good host and very good support... one time they actually replied two minutes before I sent my support request (alright, Outlook's outlook on time was a bit too positive -- five minutes to be more precise -- but it was still darned fast).

actually, i'm thinking about going with dixiesys, because from what i can tell the reviews on this board seem to be mostly positive and they have what i need. but if anyone has anybody they consider to be better, i'd like to hear about it. thanks!
    -meg

You won't go wrong with dixiesystems either...........They are also a very good host from everything I have read and I have a friend hosts with them as well......
    Sparrow
    www.sparrowzworld.net