Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need Plans

Post I need Plans

Do you guys think you could make up some plans for me? I have started my biz...so I need some plans...if you need how much space and bandwith I need... I will tell you...but If you can just give me plans I would appreciate it. Thanks for your help!

If you have reseller plan you need to divide it up evenly so as to make a profit.
    Maybe if you post how much space you have we can suggest some plans.

Yup, I agree. Since you are getting a reseller's account. Just divide up the account evenly and do not oversell the account.

As for plan ideas, I believe it is best if you spend some time visiting different web hosts which falls within your target market and check out their plans.

I believe that would be a good place to start.
    http://www.batchimage.com - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions

You don't need plans - you need a niche. You just started your business. I'm going to give you one of your first little gold nuggets.

WHO is your target audience? Do NOT compete with EVERY host out there. Find a target audience, a niche market, and develop yourself around that. For example, some people go low cost (don't go this route, too many people have - its the obvious) while others cater just to adult hosting or just to hosting gaming sites.

Not to make an assumption about you, but as you are young and you want to use word of mouth advertising (very low cost, another gold nugget) a lot of your friends are into games.

Develop a web host specifically for hosting gaming sites. Give the tools that gaming sites need. Give the resources that gaming sites need.

Once you find a nice market, you can find out what people in THAT market need, then you can divide up your reseller plan and make a plan for the future as well.

Third nugget: Make a solid business plan. When someone asks you where you will be in five years and how you will get there, know the speach off your heart. You need to think, dream, breath, eat, live that plan. Love your business plan. Its your key to the door.
    Travis Doherty
    Web Hosting Services
    http://www.referable.com/

Re: I need Plans

Originally posted by xtrememasta
    Do you guys think you could make up some plans for me? I have started my biz...so I need some plans...if you need how much space and bandwith I need... I will tell you...but If you can just give me plans I would appreciate it. Thanks for your help!
    Are you planning to do anything yourself? Or leave it all to other. You were asking for a free design, a free reseller account, free domain name and now free advice of how to make the plans.

And I don't know why everyone is being so nice since everyone who asks these things get to hear that this is your own input you place in your company, a little bit creativity is appreciated. But now you ask and everyone is willing to tell his secret business model as if you were the pope himself.

And I still believe you should lose the stupid idea of starting a hosting company when you are this inexperienced. I am not talking about your age, it is just how you react and the lack of knowledge you show in every topic!

I haven't seen him ask for a free domain name or design.

a business license would be a good start
    Voiding warranties is what I do best.

No the request for free design work was in another thread that was started.

(He asked a designer for a free logo design on credit to pay "when he got money".)

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...threadid=80425

Xtrememasta, I'm not trying to hassle you or discourage you... but just be aware this will be a lot of work for you, and once you move beyond re-seller you will need more technical skills to work with.

Good luck.
    (You may need it)

Kinda hard to get a business license when you're fourteen.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

a business license would be a good start
    You dont need a business licence to start a hobby!

xtrememasta,

I also have a suggestion that may prove usefull...

Try going for the hobbyist website market or something like that. That way in case something goes wrong, or you decide webhosting isnt your cup of tea, no one really loses out too much.

(If my business website goes down and I lose reputation or money, then I'd be running for my lawyer. If my hobby site that describes my collection of green marbles goes down, I grumble a bit and thats that.)

Also, I would seriously consider this---charge monthly, not yearly. If someone has paid you for a year, and your business goes under, you might be sued for the amount of money you owe the customers for months of service they wont get, which will likely be spent by then.

Originally posted by Eurofficial

True...but if you charge others for your hobby then it is not longer a hobby, and therefore a business, and you DO need a license.

Hmm, here are your plans... Would you like fries with that?

Seriously though, the people here that are in their teenage years who start webhosting are crazily smart (the successful ones). I really suggest you think twice. Also, how are you going to accept money? You need a way/place to put the money you make in. If your parents are not supporting you with this 'webhosting' you wish to start... then I do not think it will be possible for you to launch. Maybe you can work with the company who has kindly given you a reseller account and refer the clients to him/her. This way you do not have to worry about support and have a commissions(<- Did I spell this right?) based job and you simply get a check from them directed to your parents/gaurdians name...

Just my 2 cents=] <--- 2 cents..who ever came up with this line?
    Orlando Magic--> 05-06 CHAMPS

Well, I suppose he could accept checks as payment.

But realistically, I would be more encouraged if this kid came in here saying, 'I am 13, almost 14 and want to start webhosting. Can you all please critique my detailed plans to make this happen - so that you can tell me where I miscalculated due to my youthful zeal'.

So far he's asked for a template, domain name, webspace, and now a business plan.

Success in this market seems to be dependent on hard work, persistance, and ingenuity. So far he's only showed persistance (in asking for freebies).

-WC-

Hopefully he does not use the word unlimited after 'bandwidth or diskspace'.

I must have mistyped the thing above...What are some things to do...like 100 mb space with 1 gig Bandwith...that Is what I mean... Is that a common thing? Like every 100 mb of space...there is 1 gig of transfer.

*slaps forehead*

I hope you all feel very good with yourselfs, when the sh*t hits the fan, and people are crying because their webhost got shut down because he couldn't be legally doing what he was going. I hope you all feel great.

Depression is a illness, yes. It's a horrible illness. But rewarding someone who has theatened to commit suidcide by giving him a reseller plan is... not good.

Masta, best of luck. Get your parents to sign any contracts.
    The giant hamster of doom rains coconuts upon your tiny city.

And you shouldn't start a business as a hobby!

And you shouldn't start a business as a hobby!
    Please read my post properly.

Please read my post properly.
    I don't know why you are defending this guy like this. What if you are in the same league for customers, and he steals away all your customers since he is offering all for nothing, will you than still be as happy to defend him?

This topic is getting very old now..It just lost most of its juice=( The only thing I see going on is a conflict 'sort of a virus/infection/plague brought upon to the WHT community from xtreme masta'. He has only gotten us to argue with each other over very little things.

This topic only proves that many have sympathy over a 'lost child' and those who are against him.

Deus Ex Machina <--- I don't know..I just felt like putting this at the end=D

I don't know why you are defending this guy like this. What if you are in the same league for customers, and he steals away all your customers since he is offering all for nothing, will you than still be as happy to defend him?
    I am defending him because he came on to these boards and got flamed by alot of people for the following reasons....
    1) He was young
    2) His grammar
    3) He suffers depression
    4) He knows little about the web hosting industry

People come here for advice. If you have no advice to give, no problem..but dont humiliate him. He is young and has alot to learn. He will only learn thing through experience and not by people making fun of him or telling him not to bother.

I am not scared that he or anybody else will take my customers. I run a good business and if someone can offer better and my customers move to them, I wont be pissed.

Originally posted by xtrememasta
    I must have mistyped the thing above...What are some things to do...like 100 mb space with 1 gig Bandwith...that Is what I mean... Is that a common thing? Like every 100 mb of space...there is 1 gig of transfer.
    Are you saying that you want to offer a hosting plan of 100mb with 1 gig of transfer ? Or are you getting a reseller's account with that specification ?

I think the bandwidth end is a little on the low side but than again might be good enough for hobbyist website where you do not consume a lot of bandwidth.

Do some research on your niche market, survey them and see what their requirements are. Once you have a better understanding of them, you could probably target them. Know your customer and build on that knowledge.
    http://www.batchimage.com - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions

People come here for advice. If you have no advice to give, no problem..but dont humiliate him. He is young and has alot to learn. He will only learn thing through experience and not by people making fun of him or telling him not to bother.
    I totally agree with you. This is a place for people to be free to ask and learn through peer support. I mean we are once new at this game too. No one was born with knowledge about the industry, it is something which is learnt. Some probably do it the hard way by basing everything on their gut feeling and their experience and whatever life/school have taught them. Some asked because they are sincerely industry to enter this industry. Put away any pre-conceived impression about someone and if you can help, then help. If you need to criticize, do provide constructive ones but never never put a person down before he has a chance to stand on his two feet.

He probably thought that things were free because of this mindset that you could get things off the net free. But despite that initial setback and realizing it is not, he still wants to find out more about the industry and that I have to give him credit for.

Provide him with a realistic picture and provide constructive criticism but never break a person's spirit. I am sure that after his research, he could be better informed about the industry and can decide whether to get in or not.

Hey, maybe for all he wants is to set up a web hosting business
    so that he could cater to his friends and fellow student's needs. Some teens and pre-teens have great ideas for website but they probably might do better getting them from their peers who been through almost the same experience in life and enjoy the same thing.

WebHostingTalk=WebAdvice&Discussions=]

Yeah,
    he hasn't done anything wrong, at least not yet.
    I choose not to use my signature for advertising.

It doesn't matter how much you claim how important your data is. If it's not backed up, it's not important.

plans are REALLY flexible, and so are pricing schedules. There is no set rule. The xfer you will need per mb of disk space depends on your target customers. Small businesses that use their site as a brochure will need a very small amount of xfer per mb HDD compared to forums/music/adult etc. refcom was right that you need to find a niche. Once you've done that, just go to 20-50 sites out there that kind of cater to that same niche, and see what they are charging. Come up with the median HDD/xfer/price of their packages, and look at what that will cost you in the beginning, and when your account is full. This will give you at least somewhere to start.

As far as overselling, you have to keep in mind that the more you go over your alloted amount, the more unstable your system could get or the more it will cost you if they actually used their full amount. You need to calculate the overcharges as a 'worst-case' scenario costwise. Also, the more clients you have, the more your incidentals will cost like cc charges, support time, etc. You may be able to spend a lot of time with new clients at first to give great service, but you need to make it worth your time as well. Having 1,000 clients will bring you in a bunch of money, but they will cost you a bunch of time. Make sure your costs will cover your support/billing/account setup etc.

When I started with my first reseller account, I looked at several possible niche markets, found a few, printed out the pricing structure of about 40 sites each, made an excel spreadsheet, and come up with the medians of each. I then looked at a bunch of other factors (niche's budget, cost of marketing to that niche, etc) and finally came up with a pricing structure that looked doable. Maybe try that and put that into your financials. You have to keep in mind that different markets require different amounts of support, etc. After you see it all, you might reiterate the whole process several times until you come up with the right mix. Then you open for business and see how close your plans come to what you actually find. This process of my first pricing/allocation schedule alone took me about 50 hours of work.

Or you could just wing it with someone's suggestions, hoping they didn't do the same.
    Learn survival/prepper information from a combat veteran at Graywolf Survival

Also,

Remember when creating your plans to make some sort of price reduction as the price increases. Example:

100mb space - 5.00
    200mb space - 9.00
    500mb space - 22.00

phpcoder is definitely right. people will sometimes buy the bigger amount because it's a better deal, even if they'd never even use the smaller amount. Make sure your pricing/allocation would allow for everyone to buy the biggest package. Larger space allocated per client means fewer clients you can put, but it also means less upkeep per box.

Nice tip. I am going to consider that when restructuring my prices along with the .95=D

i have a great plan for you xtreme.. i think you will like it

here goes........

finish grade school first.

Hmm - maybe things are different where you live, or maybe its just the way you think...

But - Every city I`ve ever lived in in the US or Canada does not require any specific age for a business license to be granted to a corporate entity. Even if its a 14-year old behind the scenes. To get his corporate entity, all he has to do is incorporate - a very easy process for any 14-year old. He can own all of the shares of the company and appoint his parents or a friend over 18 as director, and he`s set for being a corporate entity able to enter contracts and get licenses, and bank accounts. Since he owns all of the shares if the director does not agree all he has to do is vote them out and vote someone else in.
    Travis Doherty
    Web Hosting Services

BTW - I agree clocker1996 - he should finish school first.
    Travis Doherty
    Web Hosting Services

Well, I'm gonna have to say more power to this kid. He's ambitious to start his own business, and if he screws up we can all laugh in his face and say I told you so, but until he screws up we have no room to talk. He hasn't done a thing wrong yet, unless asking questions is doing something wrong now.

I believe corporations require a registered agent to be legal -

What is a Registered Agent?
    Most states require that an agent be registered with the state at the time of incorporation. The purpose of the Registered Agent is to receive governmental and legal correspondence, including your annual report, any delinquency notices and many other documents that your company may be required to respond to. The agent must have a physical address within the state of incorporation and be of legal age. An officer, director, employee or even a shareholder may act as the registered agent if they meet the state requirements. The registered agent may also be served legal summonses in a lawsuit.

Well, I don't understand some people, why do you have to lower yourself to this standard and start belittling and criticizing others. Doesn't this reflect on your own personal immaturity and since this is a public forum, does reflect on yourself as a professional individual.

This kid here is ambitious and I have to give him credit for that. I mean he comes here and ask certain questions and you just go blast him off to high heaven. If you cannot be constructive then do not bother to post. Unless of course, I am reading this forum wrong, it is not 'Flame the newbies or the young' forum, is it ? I believe it is the 'Web Hosting forum' and as such should be a constructive place for people to ask questions and get answers to their questions. That's how we learn.

I mean at least he has the foresight to come here to do some research and not just go start a service blindly.

How many of you know him well enough to actually be judge and jury ? Isn't one presumed innocent until proven guilty ?

There are child genius here and probably there are those better than most of us in what they do. I say, give them a chance to learn, give them a chance to go.

Would you rather have some kid who is ambitious and have the flare for life or would you rather have this kid involved in gangs.

Give him a chance and let him make up his mind. We all started off somewhere and he just happened to be earlier than others.

I am not siding anyone here. This should be impartial and that we all just need to act professionally as we are.

Like I say earlier, this kid might just want to resell to his own peers who share the same interest. At least being a kid, he understands and knows them better than we oldies do.

As long as he is honest, we cannot judge him. And since he has not started, why judge him ?

Originally posted by refcom
    BTW - I agree clocker1996 - he should finish school first.
    There are many successful web hosts who are run by people still in school. Would you say the same to them?
    Matt De Leon
    GreekComm - http://www.greekcomm.com/
    Online Community for Greek Fraternities and Sororities.

Good thoughts, Eddy2099! I agree.

Originally posted by eddy2099
    As long as he is honest, we cannot judge him. And since he has not started, why judge him ?
    He has started: www.host-xtreme.com .

I believe he is looking for a better design at the moment.
    Matt De Leon
    GreekComm - http://www.greekcomm.com/
    Online Community for Greek Fraternities and Sororities.

Originally posted by smidwap

He has started: www.host-xtreme.com .

I believe he is looking for a better design at the moment.
    Well, it is just a domain name, the site is still not ready to accept customers.

I doubt it is a crime to look for a better design and there is no sign that he started his business yet or have any disgruntled customers, does he ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast