Question What is the Best Service for Grabbing a Domain that Expires ???

What is the best, and most reliable, service to use to grab an expiring domain?

I'm familiar with:

www.SnapNames.com

and

www.ExpireFish.com

I've heard once that these sites are not 100% reliable though - appearently they check the domains regularly, but people are sometimes able to beat them by registering it before the expire-services' automated registry program.

I really want this domain so I'm willing to pay the $69 - $75 fee - but I want a service that will very likely grab it, and register it for me when and if it becomes available.

Also, if I go with expirefish.com , how do I know someone else isn't trying the same thing with snapnames.com or some other expire-and-grab-domain service?

Which one has the best proven track record?
    Last edited by wf19; 10-12-2002 at 05:07 AM.

No one has a proven track record. You'll need to get RRP access if you want to increase your rate of success to the highest possible % - ie it'll cost you a bomb. Alternatively, go with Enom's shared RRP access - $2500/month, no guaranteed results.

If you really want the domain, then you'll probably have to invest more - hit all of them and hope you are not beaten by the others (there are some really good major players around)

Question

Originally posted by Omni
    You'll need to get RRP access...
    What is RRP access?

RRP (Registrar Registry Protocol) - is the protocol used when you click "Check Availability" on any domain registration site. This is the only true test of whether a domain name is available or not.

Question

How do I get "Registrar Registry Protocol" ? Can anyone get this?

you may also wish to take a look at namewinner.com

Originally posted by hostjet
    you may also wish to take a look at namewinner.com
    $75 is a fair amount of money to spend to do this. I only want to do this once. Is there any substantiation as to which services are better than others and why?

wf19 sure you can get RRP, become a registrar - ie $$$. If $75 is expensive and if the name you really want is a "premium" name, then the service you want to use will likely disappoint you.

Snapnames is good for catching names people don't want. Same goes for ExpireFish I believe.

snapnames did the job two times for me

It is possible I might be the only one carefully eyeballing this domain. It appears the owner of the domain abandoned it, so, I'm waiting for the expiration date.

So, expirefish and/or snapnames might be the best way to go.

I already have this set up for "notification" on snapsite which is free (for notification), so, perhaps that's sufficient enough???

Originally posted by Angel78
    snapnames did the job two times for me
    Question

Did you use the pay service? Or the free availability notification service with snapnames?

i have used the pay service, the free one is not a good solution, because if someone is monitoring that name too, there are small chances that you will get it.

there's ahuge difference WC. Snapnames has a success rate of 89% at getting what some call 'trash'. If you think the name you are after is not too valuable, then they should do their job. If you go after domains like sex.com, Snapnames don't stand a chance at all

I think I like the method described in this thread:
    http://www.emailaddresses.com/forum/...&threadid=8230

Pay on Success only.

I used Snapnames once, and lost. This was around 6 months ago. I called them, got in touch with the president and he divulged to me that on the day I didn't get the domain name, they had a success rate of 89% at snapping up freed domain names.

Pretty good odds, but not a huge consolation to me.

In college, 89% is a B or a B+, so overall that's pretty decent results for a $70 fee - if the domain is great. I suppose you can cover the bases by buying into both expirefish and snapnames for the same domain.

-WC-

These two services do not seem very helpful at all.

www.namewinner.com
    www.nicgenie.com

I tried to find out what their prices are.

It seems that with namewinner, I pay $25 - Start an auction - Person number two that wants domain has same idea - Sees it is already started as auction - Joins it and bids.

nicgenie seems to be the same concept.

As soon as i put in a bid for $25, it's going to go in their public list of expiring domains - "Search through our list of expiring domains"

These are supposed to be SEARCH and GRAB. Instead, these start an bidding AUCTION.

Why in the world would I want to publicize a domain that I want and invite the world to auction on it?

Is there simply a service that will Search and Grab, and charge me when they get it? Last thing I want to do is start a public auction. If this is the case, it might be best to remain silent on this domain and just wait for it to expire.

Is this correct that these are Auctions, not private search and grab?

What is dropwizzard? It seems they charge $120. Is that private search and grab?

The phrase "only pay on Success" seems to coincide with any auction. On eBay for example, you only pay if you are the highest sucessful bidder.

I'm not looking for an auction. I'm looking to be the very first one to register a domain when and if it expires and becomes publicly available.

If there's not a service that does this, I'm probably better off watching it carefully each day after the expiration date and just grab when it's released.

Well, if you really, really want it - pay for both subscriptions at Snapnames and Expirefish.

If the grab isn't successful, you can then point the snap towards another domain. Snapnames lasts one year.

-WC-

Originally posted by wf19
    What is dropwizzard? It seems they charge $120. Is that private search and grab?
    This part of the question seems to have been answered here .
    Originally posted by gmartfin

by your concept that is exactly what it is. We do not post domains that people have ordered. And only accept one order per domain at dropwizard.
    Question

Are there other services like dropwizzard that are private search and grab? Only accepts one order per domain? Dropwizzard charges $120. Is there any competition?

Dotster has a quick listing of domains that are expired and good to grab. They even narrow it down to 3 letter domains.

-eric
    IQ Studio
    www.IQStudio.net
    [email protected]
    Create.Design.Innovate

Originally posted by CDXSolutions
    Dotster has a quick listing of domains that are expired and good to grab.
    That has absolutely nothing to do with what I'm asking about or this thread topic.

Looks like the dropwizard service is much like expirefish and snapnames. Snapnames will only allow one person to snap a name. But that doesn't mean that they can stop any of the other services from attempting to snap.

Snapnames runs $70.

-WC-

Yes, but unless I'm mistaken, snanames will charge you whether they succeed or not, even if the person re-news the domain.

Domain wizzard, on the other hand, only charges you if they get the domain for you.

If they don't get the domain for you, you don't pay.

I'm specifically looking for other pay on success only services.

I will report back to this thread once I see if I win or not. I found an expired domain that has not been let go yet and somebody is already on it at snapnames (two people can't snap the same name) so I signed up at expirefish (nobody at expirefish was looking at this name). This seems like a pretty fair test to see who is better, snapnames or expirefish.

I signed up for $19.99 at expirefish and that gets me one name on my list and one year of hosting (if I get the name). If I don't get it, I can put another name on the list.
    http://www.schooldebts.com -- Consolidate Student Loan Debt

What is the best, and most reliable, service to use to grab an expiring domain?

If I told you, I'd have to ***as he stands back and clears his throat*** kill you.

Just kidding of course. Ever try the Domain Grabber? Heard that was decent. Before heading there be aware it cost $300. Might keep those from wasting their time.

mu.net put on hold yesterday - now that would be a good one to grab!