Question Doing Helpdesk tickets...

How do most of you folks do your helpdesk tickets? I mean, do you close the ticket after you think you have a resolution, or do you keep the ticket open for further dialogue and possible issues etc?

IMO, there's nothing more frustrating when I've had to use a ticket based support system, when the support tech closes the ticket when there are still more issues to work through...

I personally leave the tickets open on "HOLD" as long as possible and often follow up on issues a day or 2 later to make sure everything worked out.

Just curious to see how others do this...
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

Usally I just close the ticket once I give a full answer.

I don't close a ticket till its been dead for 30 days...

That way I know there aren't any new issues... Although have had people try to respond to a 30 day old ticket
    -Mat Sumpter
    Director, Product Engagement
    Penton Media

Originally posted by HostRiot
    Usally I just close the ticket once I give a full answer.
    Which 8/10 times won't be the last of the dialogue needed by the client. Most folks don't know that they need to reopen the ticket as it's not visible in their list of tickets unless the ticket is still open or on "HOLD".

Do they "reopen" a lot of those tickets that you close from your answer?
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

Originally posted by Aussie Bob
    They reply to the tickets, complain that we don't respond, and then notice they forgot to re-open the ticket

Which 8/10 times won't be the last of the dialogue needed by the client. Most folks don't know that they need to reopen the ticket as it's not visible in their list of tickets unless the ticket is still open or on "HOLD".

I meant after the client is satisfied, and usally tell me that they are done with the ticket

Hey Bob,
    We have it setup as follows. When a customer has a question or a concern they open a ticket at the helpdesk either by sending us an email at our helpdesk url or by logging into the helpdesk, whichever method they prefer. Once we feel that the ticket is answered in it's entirety, and to both our and the clients satisfaction, we will close the ticket. If the client has any additional questions, they can actually just reply to our helpdesk response via email and it will reopen the ticket with their updated question/concern.

-Steven
    http://www.insiderhosting.com
    BGP Blend of Telia, GTT, Zayo, and Cogent in One Wilshire, Los Angeles!
    True Definition of Managed Hosting
    Proudly Offering Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers, and Co-location

Very rarely, in our experience.

This was discussed in detail recently here, so we put it open for discussion on our forum. The general consensus was that there's not often a ticket that isn't resolved well enough for it to not be closed. Plus there's a default footnote about re-opening a ticket if there's anything to add. But generally speaking most of our clients would be used to way we worked.

We have tried it the other way. Not closing anything. I closed about 40 tickets yesterday that were resolved with the first response and were not going to receive any further comments.

Cheers

Gary
    Last edited by AussieHosts; 10-12-2002 at 02:13 AM.

We have a few users that open a new ticket in response to an old one , however since purchasing phpsupportdesk this has fixed our problems.

Great product.
    Clustered Hosting With Continuous Data Protection (CDP)
    http://www.solidinternet.com
    8 Years of hosting excellence!

Since customers seldom seem to close their own tickets, you should be pro-active in closing up tickets, other wise you just end up with a board of open tickets that the majority are probably resolved. I know it seems anti-customer service, but really I think with enough users you would find it helped provide more efficient service to the truly open tickets.

Anyway, perhaps consider an automated message sent to the customer when you closed the ticket explaining how they can re-open or create a new ticket. I know dialtone's system a year or so ago sent an email 1 or 2 days after a ticket was closed to make sure it had been resolved properly.

Hope that helps.

It certainly is Robert. We've been through a few versions with Kunal now, and I've always liked his eagerness.

Cheers

Gary

I put a footer in the bottom of the ticket that says "If this reply answered your question, please close this ticket. If you need clarifications, please reply to this ticket."

Most of the time my customers will let me know if what I told them worked/fixed it.

We have a couple different statuses to ensure a low ticket reopen count.

Initially, tickets with responses are marked "Responded".

Once a solution is found, they are marked "Fixed" -- an active status, which waits for a tech or the requestor to verify. The helpdesk can be configured to automatically set idle fixed tickets to "Resolved", a closed status.

If a requestor makes a comment on a resolved/closed ticket, the system automatically activates the ticket again under the status "Reopened" and a reopen counter is incremented. Reports are able to be generated to audit service quality on tickets with high reopen counts.
    Jeff Standen, Chief of R&D, WebGroup Media LLC. - LinkedIn
    Cerb is a fast and flexible web-based platform for business collaboration and automation. http://www.cerbweb.com/