Min. Level of registrant personal info?

I am trying to work out what details need to be (minimum) that would come up in my whois listing. At the moment if you did a whois for my site it would come back with my full name, address, phone, email.

I am thinking this is a little much, but I don't know what the rules are regarding what is needed by the registrar at a minimum. My site has some personal stuff for family that doesn't mean anything to other people unless they can determine my identity, which the site never directly provides.
    Sorry if this is a basic question but I haven't been able to find out what the level is - probably because its meant to be common sense.
    Bottom line - I would like to remove my mailing address and name, but I don't think I can. My thoughts are that if they can email me, that should be enough, unless I lost access to my email address. Can you request that some details remain hidden? Could I come up with some BS corporate name to hid behind although it will not really exist? Someone did reply GoDaddy will hid you behind a proxy but that will not work for me at the moment as I am stuck for 60 days.

Dont worry I just saw another post here that talked about the same thing.

The contract between ICANN and the Registrar - which you agreed to when you registered your name - states that contact information for the domain will be accurate, and it will be maintained.

Should you choose to ignore this and someone complains, the registrar has 15 days to contact you and get this updated - or you run the risk of losing your domain.

Many people ignore this contract, but ICANN has been making lots of noise lately about cracking down on incorrect whois data - even to the point of threatening to take away Verisign's ability to register CNO domains if they did not clean up their act.

You decide.

-t
    myOstrich Internet - OpenSRS Domain Names & Digital Certificates
    http://www.myostrich.net

Re: Min. Level of registrant personal info?

Originally posted by Kangaroo
    Can you request that some details remain hidden? Could I come up with some BS corporate name to hid behind although it will not really exist? Someone did reply GoDaddy will hid you behind a proxy but that will not work for me at the moment as I am stuck for 60 days.
    It is the price for registering a .com .net .org. When you signed the contract you agreed to these terms.

Even godaddy does not fully hide your details I think. They can still be looked up through the godaddy site.

Personally I don't even handle a request for hosting if the information in the whois is incomplete or is grossly mismatches the creditcard information that was provided. It sets off alarm bells in my head.

If you want to get around it try to get a foreign name like .nu The .nu registry does not give out your details to anyone but the authorities.