Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs down

Just had my first experience with Tera-byte (or bites). I must say it wasn't pleasant.

I have a dedicated on thier internal and something on thier network has gone down. It's been over an hour and NONE of my sites or clients sites are visible. After trace routing from here (in Germany) and yahoo.com we found the following.

all is good to just about here:

TraceRoute - Friday, April 06, 2001 22:05:37
    Generated by CyberKit Version 2.5
    Copyright 1996-2000 by Luc Neijens

Address: http://www.acnshosting.com
    Number of Packets: 1
    Packet size: 64
    Trace Hop 1 through 35
    Timeout: 5
    Resolve Addresses: Yes
    Don't Fragment: No
    <1 to 13 is ok>
    #14 core1-s5-1.edm.tera-byte.com (207.107.204.162): TTL Exceeded, ttl=242, 200 ms
    #15 cat6006-vlan11.edm.tera-byte.com (216.234.160.30): TTL Exceeded, ttl=241, 220 ms
    #16 fw-4ws-fxp0.edm.tera-byte.com (216.234.160.54): TTL Exceeded, ttl=240, 210 ms
    #17 No response (): , ttl=, ms
    #18 No response (): , ttl=, ms
    #19 No response (): , ttl=, ms
    #20 No response (): , ttl=, ms
    <on to 30>
    Statistics: Out 29, in 15, loss 48%, times (min/avg/max) 60/133/220 ms

So I called them to let them know that they had something down. No big deal right? WRONG. They didn't give a S**T what was wrong. They didn't care that thier network was messed up.

This was after an hour of down time and now it is 15 min. after I talked to them. and it's still down. unbelievable.

Guess I'll be looking for another company to host my dedicated server.

Chuck

Over 2 hours now and still down. unbelievable.

Should I fly over and fix it for 'em?

hehe

chuck

To quote myself form 2 days ago when they were down: I'm not surprised. I've never seen a host with more downtime. That's part of the reason I left. But if you wait a few minutes we'll get the ole' "The sprint backbone is down, it's not our fault" routine.

Still 2 hours is little compared to the VDI's downtime, 10 hours.
    I choose not to use my signature for advertising.

It doesn't matter how much you claim how important your data is. If it's not backed up, it's not important.

they can't do that. from the traceroute info I have they ain't even on sprint.

unless sprint has insinc.net servers. that's what the IP resovles to before the tera-byte servers.

also, I'm about 2 or 3 hops off my server in their network before it dies. That's posted above.

chuck

Originally posted by Slydder
    unless sprint has insinc.net servers.
    Yup... http://www.networksolutions.com/cgi-...ois?insinc.net

Looks like a screwed up router or something. When I traceroute it from my 4webspace host it goes

1. 192.168.7.1

and then all * * *

I don't know why it would ever leave their internal network but I'd guess it would just end up looping back.

I don't get it either. It's now over 3 hours since initial line lose and they have started the good server 4 or 5 times (the server before the break). I'm not following the logic here. hehe. well, who knows.

What's really sad is that I sent them a copy of the traceroute.

Chuck

Originally posted by Slydder So I called them to let them know that they had something down. No big deal right? WRONG. They didn't give a S**T what was wrong. They didn't care that thier network was messed up.[/B]
    Chuck, just so you know, I have a sever there and a trace to my server stops after the very last line that resolved above (meaning, that's the last hop to the server itself).

Mine:
    20 cat6006-vlan10.edm.tera-byte.com (216.234.160.26) 97.583 ms 103.816 ms 103.057 ms
    21 fw-colo-fxp0.edm.tera-byte.com (216.234.160.58) 100.316 ms 99.206 ms 97.822 ms
    22 216.234.160.225 (216.234.160.225) 98.977 ms 99.029 ms 102.703 ms

I believe (but am not certain) that your server is down. Nothing more. The server may be having problems, or for all I know there is a problem with your billing and they pulled it (I'm not going to guess as to why it is down).

Originally posted by syanet
    To quote myself form 2 days ago when they were down: I'm not surprised. I've never seen a host with more downtime. That's part of the reason I left. But if you wait a few minutes we'll get the ole' "The sprint backbone is down, it's not our fault" routine.
    As I said above, the network isn't down. Now, I'm willing to complain when someone screws up, but the last two times you've posted about this, once was a problem down the line somewhere (they weren't down 2 days ago), and this time it is with this person's server. At least be accurate.
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

Chicken

My server has been checked. There is nothing wrong with it. As a matter of fact they have pulled my server and put another know good one in it place and it still ain't working.

Just passed the 4 hour mark now. Please don't tell me I'm sneakin' up on the 10 hour record. WHY???

Chuck

Well at least you know that someone is looking into it. I got the feeling they were just ignoring you by your post.

Chicken

For the first 3 hours they were. It wasn't until I called every minute for 10 minutes that I finally got someone to listen.

Is there a Hosting God? If so what's his/her name. I think it might be time to start praying. hehe.

Chuck

Now well over 5 hours. halfway to the record. sigh.

chuck

10 hours isn't the record. It is the record from two weeks ago until today. If you stick around here, you'll see far worse than 10 hours... days, even weeks. Ask the pogo crew (I'm not even sure they're up yet?). of course by that time, I'd have had another server up and worry about getting the 'beast' up whenever, or not at all.

Chicken

Well, we're at 7 hours now and counting. This is really suckin butt.

Chuck

Well, 7 hours, huh.
    I know how you feel. My site was hosted on VDI and was down for 10 hours
    I hope it will be up soon.

It doesn't matter how much you claim how important your data is. If it's not backed up, it's not important.

I'm not going to be with Tera-Byte much longer than it takes me to trans. my domains. I ain't d**kin' with this company anymore.

chuck

after over 8 hours of down time the server is back up.

bad cable.

chuck

Maybe you should say your connection is backup.

I will have to concur with Slydder on this. I currently host (resell) over 30 webservers with Tera-byte, so i know more then ever if a server goes down because I have 30 eyes watching over me.

In the beginning, 4webspace was great, Steve was great (in the beginning), but then aside of the billing nightmares, their chat they have installed using IRC is pretty much worthless, if you go in there, they will automatically tell you to send a email (about 98% of the time)

Their forums area is just as bad, no one really monitors that as well, I even seen a post of a customer complaining about a billing problem, basically "JCB" had replied to his post, calling him a liar. I was very shocked to this, so I replied myself stating its inappropriate to call your customer a liar, I sent it to NOC, It seems that thread disappeared into thin bytes (I even emailed it to Chicken but he missed it)

On another note, I currently have about 3-4 servers "in queue" for the last 2 weeks. Tera has been out of stock on their raq 3's and thus, I ended up loosing those customers. I have come to the conclusition that Steve does all the ordering and i think before he left to vaction, he never made the order. Thats why they been out for 3 weeks

After sending numerous emails to NOC, and to this day, they still don't have a clue on when the servers will arrive.

I have of course emailed all my problems to Steve, which is very good on replying back and helping sort the problems out, but in the last 3 weeks, I email him and email him, with no reply. I finally get an answer from their NOC (Brenda)(after 3 weeks of complaining that Steve does not answer my emails) that Steve is on vacation and they will not bother him because its the first vacation for him in 6 years, well that's great and all and I respect him for finally leaving the office, but while his been gone, his companies been running around with their heads cut off.

Some things are too good to be true and they usually come to an end, it seems 4webspace may be finally showing its true colors? I certainly hope not because they have a good thing going but when it comes to snotty tech reps and questions left unanswered, you have to wonder, Is it worth it?

No i wasnt actually on Holidays but i was out of the office due to some health issues. however this being said i can not look into any issues without all the info, like what is your server ip? was your server paid for this month? was your server exploited? it could be a number of reasons why a server isnt functioning, without all the info i cant find out what it is (cableing is one of the toughest to find). PepsiCoke you do have a valid complaint with the billing and we are continuing to attempt to correct it as my phone calls to you should indicate. as far as the servers go i did order them before i left they just havent all arrived yet. however i am not putting people up on a fully first come first served basis all orders from you have been prioritized to attempt to get your customers up as fast as possible. so no i dont believe 4webspace has come to an end i believe its just suffering from a few maturing pains, these things will come to pass as the service gets larger and larger we have become, as far as network instability goes we have had no issues with our network since the Jan problem and it seems thats totally ironed out.

Steve

Angry

Sniff... my server at 4Webspace has been down for more than 36 hours now... Support blames me (which is nonsense, they just didn't check the facts) and they don't do anything about it This is a complete disaster for ANY webhost I guess...

Originally posted by Mr Creosote
    Sniff... my server at 4Webspace has been down for more than 36 hours now... Support blames me (which is nonsense, they just didn't check the facts) and they don't do anything about it This is a complete disaster for ANY webhost I guess...

Why do they blame you? what did you do, according to them?
    The Php Support Desk
    http://www.phpsupportdesk.com
    Custom programming - kunal @ e-phoria.com
    http://www.pingzine.com - Ping!Zine. the FREE, FRESH and EXCITING Web Hosting Magazine...

Thank you Steve for finally replying to my requests and all, and its unfortunate that it had to be in a public forum. I just want to make clear that your tech support in whatever problems exist with a server take a full and professional attitude, just like to do with me with all the various emails we always exchange. My encounters are very brief with support and very rare at times. Usually the only things I ever request are IP's and reboots. It does seem though that there is a problem in general with your NOC and tech team, with all the posts in the past about praising 4webspace (and I still do today), it seems your NOC is getting quite stressed out with the onslaught of support with 4webspace, and it does show up in their attitudes toward customers that really need the help.

That being said. I hope things do improve quite drastically, and yes these servers were on the list of whatever to be setup, but you are the one that made the shipment and you should have a piece of paper from Cobalt or whomever you ordered the servers from along with a tracking number.

This is the 21st Century and fortunately its alot easier to track shipments throughout the world no matter what carrier your using. Especially if your talking tens of thousands of dollars worth of servers, I would be damn sure to get a tracking number.

I understand everyone at your company does not know when the servers will arrive, but its good to know at least at timeline of when. I of course canceled these requests because I told the customer that I would rather have them as a happy non-customer then a customer that keeps getting promises that are not fulfilled.

They said I restarted the server (which I didn't), and I should have contacted them immediately after it didn't come up again (I DID contact them an hour after the server went down). They continued that the server now needs a 'manual fsck ran' (no idea what THAT is) because I restarted it (again, I didn't).

Now they replied to my tenth e-mail (which even included threats to cut the payment - it's sad that something like this seems to be necessary) that they'll have a look at it. But the server is still down and I'm counting every minute

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast