Why is ensim a bad thing?

I've noted that a lot of people here will mention a server using ensim as a negative thing? why is this?

IMO, probably because the UI isn't as intuitive for the regular end-user as say, CPanel.
    Modest Mouse Talk

Ensim is a good thing in my opinion, nothing wrong with it from my experience.

But I guess the interface of it all, isnt as good as it could be, but then there are people that can skin that for you.
    Last edited by Chicken; 10-12-2002 at 03:23 PM.

Yeah, I'm not all about the interface, it's quite different from CPanel [which i'm used to but my new server uses ensim].

Mr_Predator: You have skins for it? Like for everyone, or do I find a person that will do it? lol

Well cant advertise really here, but I create and install them, contact me for more information.

<<MOD NOTE: This user will do this for free, or they will be suspended. Please contact us if this user attempts to charge money for his services>>
    Last edited by Chicken; 10-12-2002 at 03:25 PM.

I'm just wondering, what's the difference between CPanel and Ensim, feature wise?
    <?php include_once('signature'); ?>

for one thing, ensim doesn't allow you to creat subdomains. I had to e-mail ikohn and they have to create them. Also, the e-mail system is different, on both ensim panels i have used [one at webaxxs and one at ikohn] both e-mail services was through squirrel mail.

My customers got fed up with ensim's look and feel. It's not the easiest CP out there for newbes, and lacks more than a few bells and whistles. Being stuck with 3.0 while 3.1 was available was not much fun either.

* Ensim is fine.....

.....although I have never used other CP's my clients use Ensim just fine, and ALL of my clients are new to having web sites.....it means a bit more support in the begining, but once they learn it.
    The only complaint I have is lack of french for my clients.
    Andrew (Andy) Leavens
    www.dovescom.com
    Canadian Hosting

Not being able to create subdomains? Ok in my books that's terrible, looks like i'll stick with Cpanel
    <?php include_once('signature'); ?>

you can have them, you just have to do it through e-mail. it's not THAT big of a deal. lol I can live with it

The only complaint I have is lack of french for my clients.
    They released the French language module. However it is not free.

Subs can be created by the user with Ensim, just need to get hold of an ensim modification, such as autogen or autoensim, which basically automatically setup an account. This can be simply coded to fit all accounts to create subdomains, you could also mod reseller features to do a similar feature, in 3.1 and 3.1.1.

It must just be with the version or whatnot that ikohn has then, b.c i had to do it through e-mail. but like i said, it was no trouble. lol

Ensim is good,
    Bottom line is:

Ensim is solid security wise and stability and less buggy
    whereas

Cpanel lots of features, but quite buggy.
    FastWebHost.com - Business Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting & Fast VPS Hosting
    FastWebHost.in Best India Web Hosting Provider. India Web Hosting
    Hosting Websites Since 2002 in USA, EU, India and all over the world

Yes Ensim is good, missing quite alot of features, and upgrading it, it is a nightmare (27 page manual to do so).

There is one thing that I seriously don't like about Ensim, which they can switch on or improve, is that is runs on Phyton, Phyton is powerful and all, but for such in a hosting server, it does eat up ALOT of resources, and its slow to perform such tasks, that is how Phyton works, slow, but very powerful. But still it eats up resources of your server which you can use for something else, a control panel shouldn't eat up that MUCH resources, but Ensim is the one that loves to eat and eat.

That, and it is missing quite alot of features, and if you get it now, and they have it on the future, upgrading it, may be hell for a while.

But you get what you pay for.

From a resellers point of view, I don't like ensim as you can't do anything without emailing a tech. I am slowing changing to cpanel, I like the idea of skining, and most of the skins look cool.

Ensim has great security, I haven't run into any bugs yet althought I did run into one itty bitty problem with disk quotas after I upgraded from 3.1 to 3.1.1 but disk quotas were easily fixed. Other than that, Ensim has been fantastic for me.

Ensim is Ok if you want a basic CP. The 'FASHION' today is CPanel and for very good reasons. It is easy for the less knowledgable and it offers a lot of very useful add-ons. This makes it easy for the client to set-up an interactive website. We must remember that MOST clients have very little knowledge about the internet and website hosting in general. So if a Host offers a CPanel with counters, clocks, forums etc. that the client can install themselves, it is a great incentive for a client to purchase a plan with these features.
    COMPUTERS CAN DO THAT?
    http://www.computerscandothat.com

I really enjoy Ensim.....

1. One time fee for licence (unlike CPanel)
    2. You can find skins for it (I guess all panels have this)
    3. You'll find mods for in the rackshack forums
    4. Nice, user friendly interface
    5. Easy for clients
    www.prolinker.com - free automatic linking to your website

I think that MAX POWER's post above points out the biggest advantage that Cpanel has over Ensim at the moment, which is that Cpanel's interface is much easier for new and/or inexperienced users to figure out and use than Ensim's.

If Ensim would work on their interface to make it more intuitive, at least in the user and site admin levels, I think they would end up with a product well superior to Cpanel. IMO, of course.

-Bob

For customers yes, simple is best, for administrators, I'm not sure if it needs to be dummied up anymore, we got guys running web hosting companies who don't know jack about unix and wouldn't know a port scan from an X ray.
    Gary Harris - the artist formerly known as Dixiesys
    resident grumpy redneck

I used Ensim for quite a while, but got utterly frustrated with the level of difficulty involved with updating things like system software. Ensim is secure, I'll give them that. My other problem with Ensim was that is works at the speed of a snail on heavy painkillers (or at least it used to, haven't used it for a long time now).

I switched to CPanel because my users expressed a prefence for it and it is easier for them to get things done in CPanel. I also liked H-Sphere, but still ended up with CPanel.

I also like WHM. It boasts many features that make life for the sysadmin easier, though I agree a server shouldn't be run just via WHM, you have to SSH in regularly and get your hands dirty.

If I had to choose, I would go with CPanel too, just because it does make things a lot easier. I hate having to mail support to create a subdomain or stuff like that. It's pointless and really wastes the support teams time.

But as long as that is the only bad thing with ensim, that's great. I heard people go, "but the server has ensim" like that meant it would be terrible service or something. lol That's mainly why i asked

perl -le '$_=`man perlfaq1`;print/"(j.*)"/'
    I hate control panels. We've had experience with Ensim, Plesk and Webmin and would rather have better educated users and write a few simple perl scripts for the automation of new users behind a chroot and such so we can do away with the attachment these panels have to the OS which make security a bugaboo. I know, I know. "They do the security for you!" -- They don't if they're as behind as Sun "We'll release a patch next quarter" Microsystems is on Cobalt RaQ. (I used to manage a farm of ~80 RaQs for a data center here in Miami). I'm fed up with the program modifications and dependencies these panels have with the system's environment. If I "had" to run a control panel, I'd run Plesk.
    Richard Ward
    1 NET LANE, LLC.
    http://www.1NL.net
    The low cost data center.

how about web stats?

Ensim's web stats is nonsense to me.
    It is extremely important for me to find out which websites contribute links to my website.
    But I can't dig out anything about who are the referrers from Ensim.

However CPanel works much better at this point. Referrers are listed clearly. Furthermore, My last web host provides compressed log files for download. Otherwise the log tiles mean nothing to me since they're at least 1GB of size. Is this a feature of CPanel to compress log file instantly?

In one word, I'm for moving from my last web host to an 'Ensim' host.

Originally posted by mattschinkel

3. You'll find mods for in the rackshack forums
    Ensim really needs to monitor (or listen) to this. There are so many mods, that if incorportaed by Ensim, would make this CP top dog.

Personally even after a price doubling, I still like Ensim better than Plesk, I bought two licenses this week though I REALLY missed the $199 I still would rather pay $399 for Ensim than $650 for Plesk.
    Gary Harris - the artist formerly known as Dixiesys
    resident grumpy redneck

It seems people do not realize that so many things can be done to ensim to customize it, you wouldn't even know what control panel you were using with a customized ensim setup.

From the look of it, to the menus, to the features, it is all customizable. Users have their own mini virtual server with ensim, it is very powerful, and does take some getting used to.

Every negative thing someone has said about ensim in this thread can be proven wrong. The only exception I agree with
    the quote about their stats, which are lame, as an alternative
    for example we include webalizer.

Users create their own sub domains which are then user.domain.com and there are more than one way to setup sub domains on ensim, it all depends on the service provider.

cpanel may be the 'buzz of control panels' but you also pay for it over and over again when it really has nothing that cannot be done with a customized ensim control panel, and cpanel does not create a virtual server for every account like ensim, plus with ensim service providers only pay a one time fee per server!

So, for users, having a virtual server account provided by ensim comes with more freedom, but at the cost of scaring newbies
    because they actually have to learn how to use it.

For admins who know unix its excellent, for wannabe admins it very well could be hell.

I guess my point is, judging a control panel that is as customizable as ensim, by only its default features, is like judging a beauty contest with
    a bunch of women who just got out of bed in the morning.

It just doesn't make sense to do
    Last edited by Internet8000; 10-18-2002 at 04:51 AM.