only experience with intel processors/servers

Having only had experience with Intel processors are the AMD Duron processors any good?

What is the main advantage/disadvantage between Intel (P3/P4) and AMD Duron (what is the Intel equivalent to a the AMD Duron)?

Does a Duron machine make a good web server? Is it good for any other type of server? Back up server? Game server? VDS server? etc etc?

Thanks for you input

AMD Processors are great, but i wouldn't use durons. Durons are the cheapies of the AMD line, i'd go for XP1700's, reasonable power supplies, and quality motherboards, and you cant go wrong.

AMD XP's outperform p3's by a longshot, and dual AMD MP's make a killer dual processor system, only downside is they generate more heat. Spend $10 more on fans, its well worth it .

The main disadvantage of the Duron is that it has a much smaller L2 cache than the P3 or P4 - 64K compared to 256K or 512K. On the other hand, it has a much bigger L1 cache - 64K each for code and data. The P3 has only 16K each; the P4 has just 8K for data and a 12k-op "trace cache" for code.

The smaller L2 cache makes it less effective as a server chip, but it's still pretty good. It would make a decent web server; I'm not sure about game servers.

The Athlon, Duron, P3 and P4 are all solid general-purpose chips. The only current x86 chips to really avoid for server use are the Via C3 and the Transmeta Crusoe, which are considerably slower.

Thanks for the imput