Thread: .US extension

.US extension

Does anyone use or even like the .US extension?

I can't find any organization that resolves their .US like ibm, hp, verisign etc.

Does anyone think this TLD will serve any purpose? What are you using it for? Is this the reason the registrars are offering it for under $7.00/yr?

I have my doubts about .US. It seems like a good extension for vanity emails (last names) but that will only take it so far. I bought JobBoard.US the day the registry went live.
    "I highly suggest you quietly fade away." -President of Invision Power Services, Charles Warner -- PM to me after banning me (a lifetime license holder) for expressing my opinion that IP Dynamic will not sell, and is taking time away from the development of IPB.

I bought my initials.
    Something I couldn't get in a .com
    I also got a couple of other pretty cool ones.
    Would I use it for my business? Probably not.
    DANG DANG! DANG!!™
    I know ***** ripped off everybody else, but they wouldn't do it to me.
    "When you use bottom feed for bait, you are only going to catch bottom feeders."
    "You do what you are, and you are what you do."

I was thinking these organizations would at least forward their .US to their .com....

I got webhosting.us and a couple of generic ones like that.

Red

i dont see the point in it.. who would be proud of a .us domain

*waits to be slapped*
    Matt Wallis
    United Communications Limited
    High Performance Shared & Reseller | Managed VPS Cloud | Managed Dedicated
    UK www.unitedhosting.co.uk | US www.unitedhosting.com | Since 1998.

I have a .us from GoDaddy...I'm a poor, unemployed translator/tech and it's all I could afford.
    -={ Dagger Hosting }=-
    -={ http://www.daggerhosting.com }=-

* slaps Matt *
    I live and do business in the US, therefore I bought the .us of my business name (as a "proud citizen" should), my initials (just to be cool) and a couple of other ones.
    I am not sure if these will be very popular, and would not think of it as an investment, but I think if you live in the US, they are better than the .org.
    DANG DANG! DANG!!™
    I know ***** ripped off everybody else, but they wouldn't do it to me.
    "When you use bottom feed for bait, you are only going to catch bottom feeders."
    "You do what you are, and you are what you do."

I don't have much faith in .us but I bought one anyway. I think it will turn out to be worthless just like .ws..............for instance, I just bought buzz.ws on ebay for $0.99 and I really don't think it is worth that. Don't know why I bought it, sometimes ebay just "makes" me do things.
    http://www.schooldebts.com -- Consolidate Student Loan Debt

I guess the usefulness of .us really depends on what you want it for (same as .org).

For example my favourite football (soccer) club is Birmingham City and I've been talking with them about starting an official US supporters club for the other ex-pat fans. The club site is at BCFC.com and I was able to get BCFC.us and BirminghamCity.us which are ideal. I think that the fans who are interested won't have a problem remembering the .us extension in this case, in fact it makes the distinction nicely while still being a short URL.

Best wishes,
    Simon.
    http://www.AQHost.com
    Fast, reliable dual Intel Xeon servers
    Excellent uptime record
    Efficient and friendly support

I think the perspective of non-Americans is quite different on domain extensions. People outside of the US have been conditioned to .<fill in country here> so I think you are looking at it differently. Honestly, I would bet that most of the "general public" in the United States has no idea that .us exists. Heck, I bet there are people who think it is only .com, .org, and .net not even knowing about other countries' extensions.
    http://www.schooldebts.com -- Consolidate Student Loan Debt

That seller that sold it for 99 cents, then was charged ($0.30 + 4% thru paypal) and then was charged Ebay's fees.

Can't imagine the seller made more than $0.50 for that name. Why bother?!

-WC-

bjseiler Honestly, I would bet that most of the "general public" in the United States has no idea that .us exists. Heck, I bet there are people who think it is only .com, .org, and .net not even knowing about other countries' extensions.
    I think that a majority of the computer illiterate Americans believe there's only .com, given AOL.com, cnn.com, yahoo.com, etc.

-WC-