domain name issue with copyrights

Okay I have a question regarding laws.

If I register let's say jos-potato.com for myself. And Jo's potato (the fast food restaurant) has jospotato.com. He has the right to sue me for using his name in the domain name and to FORCE me to give/sell him the jos-potato.com name?

I live in canada, but in the US any idea?

Regards,

Why in the first place?

Hi fellow Canadian, I'm just curious as to WHY you would want to register e.g. jos-potato.com in the first place when you have nothing to do with Jo's Potato, the fast food restaurant?
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.

He has the right to sue me for using his name in the domain name and to FORCE me to give/sell him the jos-potato.com name?
    Short answer is, yes.

I think most companies have cybersquatting laws in place now. These make it illegal for someone to register a large company's domain name or similar name hoping to charge the company a lot of money for it.
    A google search on cybersquatting should turn up the latest information.
    Laura K.
    http://www.madmousergraphics.com
    graphic design for grownups

That's a trademark issue, not a copyright issue. And the trademark owner doesn't automatically get the domain name, as ruled in a couple of recent Federal court cases. There are several other factors to be considered.

okay thank you all!

I had rolexclone.com and got a few nasty letters from their lawyers just becasue it had the name "rolex" in the domain name. Basically they said they would sue if I put up a webiste having anything to do with watches.

I think you can had domain names that include so called trademarks, especially if they are just general words, but you can't use it if you are both marketing similar products.
    Selling text links on a web development and design website.
    Permanent PR6 and/or monthly PR7 link - limited quantity avaliable - PM for details