* If not Donhost, then who?

Hi there,

I'm new around here but I really would like all of your advice. I've just left WebFusion and have setup a reseller account with DonHost. So far I can't complain, but i'm rather concerned that i've made a big mistake having read some of the comments around here!!

The main feature I like about Donhost is that their Control Panel for me and my clients *seems* to be rather good - very intuitive etc...

So - please could you tell me A) why donhost are poor and B) who you would seriously recommend as a viable alternative.

I really appreciate your response.

Kind Regards.

Daniel

There are plenty of good reseller hosts on these boards just do a search on some that interest you and see what type of results you get. This forum is full of good, honest and reliable hosts you just need to look around a little bit.. Good luck

yes - but WHY are Donhost poor?

and I have found many hosts on here that SEEM good - but from everyone's experience, who is reliable and provides a good CP for my clients etc....

Many thanks,

Daniel

Sussexlover, im guessing you are looking for a UK based solution? Maybe try :www.whichhosts.com for a comprehensive list.

Regarding CP's, many off this forum would use Plesk, CPanel, Ensim, H-Sphere all of which will do a good job. Some prefer one to another. (We use Plesk, which works really well for us/ resellers)

Also, how much webspace/ bandwidth are you lookign for?

Why are Donhost bad? You could try doing a serch for "donhost" on this forum for a few answers. (Hit the search button on the top right)

Regards

I'm with SurrenderOnline.Com and could not happy more

Well...

I suggest contacting any host you're considering directly. Try to get a feel for them, and whether or not they're going to help you out if (or when) you need it.

Also, keep in mind that even with Web hosting, you still largely get what you pay for. Ten bucks a year may sound like a great deal, but at some point you have to ask yourself if the host is cutting corners to give you such a sweet deal. (--moment of silence fo cyberwings--)
    SprocketHost.com
    Fast, Reliable Web Hosting
    [email protected]

If you do not want to risk then go with a reputable host.

I suggest venturesonline and remarkablehosting. Both have very good support, quality bandwidth and great uptime.

You can do serious web business on their services.

Mac

httpme.com
    mchost.com
    voxtreme.com
    splashhost.com

Search on all the ones mentioned in the post above. THere is plenty of info on each. See who advertises for them on the board and search their posts.

I, personally, have been truly enjoying voxtreme since I left mchost
    Mindshift
    fullyunlimitedhost.com
    Everything is unlimited!!!!!
    Unlimited Bandwidth, Disk Space, E-Mails, MySQL, Downtime, PHP, Hits, FTP!
    You name it, it's unlimited!!!

Hi Daniel,

Donhost have had a bad reputation in the past as they would delete sites without informing the reseller etc.... but they seem to have turned things around as there have been very few negative posts about them. Good luck and I hope you have a good experience with them.

Drop that nice chap Bob from httpme.com an email

They are deffo. doing something right

Craig.
    GURU Cloud Hosting and Managed Dedicated Servers and Colocation at Centro, Hemel Hempstead.
    All supported by our own onsite team.

(disclaimer: I`m a happy donhost reseller despite the points !)

To save you (and others) the research time, here's the
    bad points:

1. Very quick to delete accounts without warning (but only if you/your client uploads warez)

2. You have NO WAY of restricting how much bandwidth your
    clients use up.

3. They block email from yahoo groups, because of broken reply-to addresses.

point number 2) above is what will drive many small resellers out of business when the get a huge bill!

Apart from those, Its great

DonHost are not poor, from my experience with them they offer the best resellers account going. A little more bandwidth would be nice tho

I found Donhost to be pretty good. When I looked into becoming a donhost reseller I thought their prices were quite high though, that's why I went elsewhere. If they had been cheaper I probably would have stayed with them.

online - s'where between home & datacenter
    few points to add to mikerr's compilation above, as far as i remember from reading previous threads

4) Your emails are deleted on regular basis, so u have to download all your emails on ur pc.

5) The email managements is not that flexible, if you want to create a mailbox to store emails and also to forward to ur yahoo/ hotmail, then u can't do it. (good feature as many ppl try to collect all emails at one account, which they check regularly.)

some more points i don't remember
    RockSolidHosting.US | reliable & affordable webhosting + domains
    Affordable shared / reseller hosting on Linux & Windows 2000
    Quality Bandwidth | 99.9% up | friendly support
    [Chat] yahoo: rshosting | AIM: rshos801 | [email protected] | ICQ: 219698679

Originally posted by mikerr

2. You have NO WAY of restricting how much bandwidth your
    clients use up.
    This point is not very important because you have a projection of your bandwitdh since first days of the month.
    If an account is going to use 10GB, you know it 10 or 20 days before, so you can do something to limit it manually.

I am very happy with them, in one year I had only half an hour of downtime, they reply to my e-mail in less than 10 mins and they're extremely fast to solve network issues.

online - s'where between home & datacenter
    well i'd still advice to search for donhost then then decide as what i feel lots of users complaining cannot be wrong, there can be 1-2 happy customers also though
    RockSolidHosting.US | reliable & affordable webhosting + domains
    Affordable shared / reseller hosting on Linux & Windows 2000
    Quality Bandwidth | 99.9% up | friendly support
    [Chat] yahoo: rshosting | AIM: rshos801 | [email protected] | ICQ: 219698679