GRUB or LILO - What's your pick ?

If you had a choice...
    Installing a RedHat on a new server ...
    Which bootloader would you use ? Why ?

GRUB ---- or ---- LILO ?

lilo. I know some people prefer grub and like it better, but lilo does everything I want, especially for a web server bootloader.
    Robert McGregor
    URL: http://www.2host.com
    Email: robertm@(nospam)2host.com

I think personally it depends on where it is deployed.

If it is to be deployed on a remote server, LILO would do just fine.

But if it is on my personal notebook, I have GRUB on it.
    http://www.batchimage.com - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions

Mmm... so it seems that there is a difference in the scenarios in which it is to be used ...

So, lets take the following 3 scenarios ...

(a) On a web server with Ensim, Plesk, CPanel, HSpere etc ...
    Grub or Lilo ?

(b) On a notebook or home PC - single OS only - LINUX of course
    Grub or Lilo ?

(c) On a notebook or home PC - multiple OS only - MS WIN + LINUX
    Grub or Lilo ?

Come to think of it... What's the major differences in the two ? Anyone care to enlighten me ? Thanks.

the only think i have noticed that is different is the fact that grub looks pretty, despite its name

yea, me either. the file structures seem the same, but one thing that is different is whenyou upgrade the kernel, you don't have to run grub like you do lilo. if I am not mistaken here. I have done both and i remember having to actually type the word "lilo"....hahaha, like that's a big deal.

but ya wanted the diff.

Neither. IMHO, they both suck. (Grub sucks more though)

Use a boot disk!

While you are at it you can just run the entire os from a boot disk

Edit: sigh no coffee makes nick type bad!
    Last edited by Abaddon; 10-10-2002 at 01:47 PM.

Originally posted by Abaddon
    While you are at it you can just run the entire os from a bott disk
    Sure...LOAF rules!

GRUB for me. It understands filesystem, so I don't need to reconfigure the boot loader everytime I recompile my kernel. It is also able to boot a different kernel other than listed on configuration file.

RPM kernel upgrades also works better on GRUB enabled RedHat, just upgrade and reboot. No more LILO rituals: upgrade kernel, vi /etc/lilo.conf, /sbin/lilo. reboot and pray I didn't make mistake on that lilo.conf.

lilo, easier to tell remote techs how to boot into single user mode
    Neufusion.NET - Jobs done right, the first time
    http://www.neufusion.net
    http://www.GamingApex.com - Low Ping, Fast Game Servers!

Originally posted by lightnin

Use a boot disk! :D
    If you enjoy sitting around waiting, sure. And if your image will fit on a floppy, sure. Of course also floppy's can go bad easier. No thanks, I have better things to do. :-)
    Robert McGregor

Originally posted by priyadi

No more LILO rituals: upgrade kernel, vi /etc/lilo.conf, /sbin/lilo. reboot and pray I didn't make mistake on that lilo.conf.
    Why don't you just run lilo with the verbose flag and not wonder?

Also how does Grub remove the need for a kernel upgrade, if you need to upgrade the kernel?

Unless you rename your kernel image, you don't need to even edit lilo.conf (assuming you've got it declared as vmlinuz, it will link to he new kernel image build).

I personally like adding a new label to be able to boot from the last kernel in case the new one screws up. I don't understand why anyone wouldn't want to use lilo or why it's a hassle. I like the control, it's not difficult.
    Robert McGregor

I aint no Linux guru, but of what I have seen of lilo and grub I prefer grub.

It looks smarter to me than lilo
    Offering Managed Servers - for an exclusive clientèle who value uptime, caring support and superior technology.

Originally posted by 2host.com

Why don't you just run lilo with the verbose flag and not wonder?

Also how does Grub remove the need for a kernel upgrade, if you need to upgrade the kernel?

Unless you rename your kernel image, you don't need to even edit lilo.conf (assuming you've got it declared as vmlinuz, it will link to he new kernel image build).

I personally like adding a new label to be able to boot from the last kernel in case the new one screws up. I don't understand why anyone wouldn't want to use lilo or why it's a hassle. I like the control, it's not difficult.
    You obviously haven't been locked out from your own server on the other side of the world at midnight because of doing simple official RPM kernel upgrade that should have been very simple

To me, doing massive remote administration, any less step to accomplish the same task means less potential failure. IMO, doing kernel upgrade should be as easy as upgrading any other piece of software.

Originally posted by priyadi

You obviously haven't been locked out from your own server on the other side of the world at midnight because of doing simple official RPM kernel upgrade that should have been very simple :D
    No, I haven't, actually, but that's besides the point. A kernel upgrade failing to work or not, doesn't make any difference between lilo and grub. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. If it can't boot from the default image, it can't boot from the default image (although you can make it boot to another (the previous) image if the first fails). Can you explain what you mean by how using grub will help you with that problem?

Also, building a kernel from RPM or upgrading via RPM!? Are you crazy, or do you just enjoy living on the edge? If you build a kernel via RPM, then no wonder you were locked out! :-) Even if you could upgrade via RPM without rebooting, you still have the issue of it coming back online or not and how exactly does grub help that situation over lilo? Granted, I don't mind what other people prefer, but there's absolutely no reason why grub is _better_ than lilo that I can think of.

To me, doing massive remote administration, any less step to accomplish the same task means less potential failure.
    How do you equate less steps to less potential for failure? Do you mean less chance you might overlook something?

IMO, doing kernel upgrade should be as easy as upgrading any other piece of software.
    Not in my opinion, I personally prefer the complete control to compile it however I want, with whatever options, changes, custom kernel hacking, etc. I don't like the idea of just installing things easy and default (not that it would be a bad thing) but you don't have all the control you should need when dealing with something on such a level. I'd stop using Linux altogether if I was faced with that.
    Robert McGregor

You obviously haven't been locked out from your own server on the other side of the world at midnight because of doing simple official RPM kernel upgrade that should have been very simple

To me, doing massive remote administration, any less step to accomplish the same task means less potential failure. IMO, doing kernel upgrade should be as easy as upgrading any other piece of software.
    So take pride, and double-check your systems. I ALWAYS double check what I've done to a system to make sure especially something as serious as a kernel. Also, I would recommend installing (not updating) kernels if you are doing them by rpm, this way incase it were to fail you still have your backup kernel installed as a fallback.
    Neufusion.NET - Jobs done right, the first time
    http://www.neufusion.net
    http://www.GamingApex.com - Low Ping, Fast Game Servers!

Grub is more powerful than lilo, is easier to manage, and it does not need to be updated when you install a new kernel. In addition, lilo will not be supported in future versions of RedHat. Might as well learn how to use grub now...

I'm a lilo man myself but sometimes I just hate it when I forget to '/sbin/lilo' and reboot my box ...
    spam --> /dev/null

grub