Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

TWO hours of downtime..

I'm a bit pissed off..

because of a "DROP" script??? BS reason if you ask me.

I have two servers at interserver. My first one went down 2 hours ago. i followed standard procedure... emailed supprot@interserver.net

no reply
    msg'ed support guy
    no reply

waited around 20 minutes, no reply. customers bitching, no reply.

i contacted William from WHT (owner of VDI) on aim. I guess that's william on here.

and i'll let you read the log. what VDI told me made NO SENSE what so ever. I just don't understand.

me: hi. sorry to bother you, but my server is down. i went to http://www.vdi.net/reboot.html
    me: filled it out
    me: but when i hit submit
    me: it tries to load http://ops.trouble-free.net/reboot.php
    me: and i keep getting
    me: Page cannot be displayed
    me: i pinged ops.trouble-free.net - it looks like its down
    me: so basically im trying to say that the form is not working, and my server is down, which is why i msg'ed you
    me: if you're there. the ip is ******** root pw *****
    me: nevermind... it mysteroiuly came back up now.
    me: down again.
    VDI: they are aware, hang
    me: k
    me: also just letting you konw. i didnt do anything. i was just notified by a customer that it was down
    me: any update?
    VDI: whats your server name?
    me: **********************
    me: the ip is ********* root pw ************
    VDI: ok

--- 20-30 mins later? im not sure..
    me: server is still down. what is going on?
    me: i would like to know please
    me: sigh

------- on the 2nd hour of downtime.
    VDI: there?
    me: ..
    VDI: Did you add drop script in the server ?
    VDI: Pc drop ?
    me: No man. I told you. i did not do anything.
    VDI: ok
    VDI: it was off
    me: What was "off" ??
    VDI: The was told to turn off
    me: What are you talking about??
    VDI: we turned it on
    me: Show me this "drop" script
    me: Where is it on the server???
    VDI: it a command like it windows to turn it off
    me: I don't remember anything about a drop script. Why would i need something like that.
    me: Where is it on the server?
    VDI: some people are mornonic and turn it off :-)
    VDI: it`s a system command lke halt
    VDI: should b eu p
    me: So you're telling me. my server was down becuase of a "drop" script was turned off? Again, direct me to where i can find this "drop" script on my server. I currently have THIRTEEN linux servers. I know what i'm doing. How are you going to sit here and tell me about this "drop" script that i have never heard of, or seen. All of my servers are configured the SAME WAY. None go down like this one has/does. NONE have any sort of "drop" script
    me: Where is this?
    VDI: i asked if you had one
    me: and i told you NO, we dont. and you told me it was "Turned off"
    me: VDI: it was off
    VDI: if you didn`t do it, then i`m going to have a admin look into it
    VDI: yes it was
    me: YOu just told me my server was down becuase a "drop" script was OFFF. I am asking you again, where is this "drop" script on the server, because i have never heard of such thing, and WHY would my server depend on a SCRIPT ?????
    me: considering i CONFIGURED the server
    me: why is it that i have never heard, or seen of a drop script?
    VDI: no
    VDI: listen 1 more time
    VDI: I`ll cut n paste
    VDI: i asked if you had something to turn it off
    VDI: cause it was off
    me: dude. are you listening to me??? THERE IS NO "drop script" on the server
    me: hence NOTHING to turn off, or be off
    me: i configured the server. so unless you guys PLACED some sort of script on my server, it is not there
    VDI: ok, thne i have to get one of the gusy to look
    VDI: whats the root and i`p you can watch me
    me: uhm ********* ********
    VDI: what do you mean where is the server ?
    VDI: i waslooking at the logs
    me: I said where is the SCRIPT
    VDI: I don`t know where the script is, i asked if you made one
    me: NO. You NEVER asked me if i had made one. You kept asking me about a drop script, and something about turning it off. read what you said.
    me: and for your information, no i did not make any "drop script"
    VDI: 20:57] me: sigh
    [21:02] VDI: there?
    [21:02] me: ..
    [21:02] VDI: Did you add drop script in the server ?
    [21:02] VDI: Pc drop ?
    [21:02] me: No man. I told you. i did not do anything.
    me: yes. and i said no
    me: "No man"
    me: "I did not do anything"
    VDI: I`m trying to go to your server, it`s refusing me
    VDI: login root
    VDI: and pass ..
    VDI: you have a host allow set up ?
    me: Just nevermind dude. the point is the server is up. that's all that matters right now. i still do not know why my server was down. i was not provided with a valid reason. after 2 hours, it finally just comes back up. i'll leave it at that.

---------------------------------------------------

There you have it. 2 Hours of downtime because. Frankly, i don't konw why. The person who i talked to on aim from VDI, did not seem to make ANY SENSE at all. This isn't the first time this box has gone down either.

EDIT: there are no control panels on the server. it is cleanly configured. there is nothing on it that would stop connectivity. When i posted this i was really pissed/frustrated @ why after 2 hours i get such a bs reason that doesn't even make any sense.. that is why i didnt bother to add this.

And you konw something, i might even be the only one that thinks that it was a dumb reason that didnt even make any sense, and that's fine. i just needed some place to bitch =/
    Last edited by clocker1996; 10-09-2002 at 09:38 PM.

I just want to make it clear right now i am FAR from a linux newbie. I manage/own 13 linux servers, all configured by myself. ALL OF them run smoothly, and have never had any sort of problems like this. They are all configured the same. So what they told me made no sense at all

I would also like to point out that this server was bought from INTERSERVER. INTERSERVER disappeared off the face of the earth, so i had no choice but to contact VDI.

As far as i know VDI works with interserver, and handles some of their support issues. That is why i went to VDI.
    Last edited by clocker1996; 10-09-2002 at 09:44 PM.

K, this is what I get from it.

me: What was "off" ??
    analysis: it == your server

VDI: it a command like it windows to turn it off
    VDI: it`s a system command lke halt
    analysis: a drop script is a utility of some sort to power down the server. e.g. in windows you can shutdown windows and the pc will power down

me: So you're telling me. my server was down becuase of a "drop" script was turned off?
    obvious answer: no, but VDI thinks that was what turned off your server

me: and i told you NO, we dont. and you told me it was "Turned off"
    me: VDI: it was off
    analysis: VDI is talking about your server, NOT the script'

[quote]
    me: NO. You NEVER asked me if i had made one. You kept asking me about a drop script, and something about turning it off. read what you said.
    [quote]

analysis: you're getting pissed off, but by this point VDI asked you 3-4 times if you had such a script

me: Just nevermind dude. the point is the server is up. that's all that matters right now. i still do not know why my server was down. i was not provided with a valid reason. after 2 hours, it finally just comes back up. i'll leave it at that.
    analysis: you're totally pissed off and not able to reason. VDI explained why it was down -> it was powered down -> issued from the server. It was brought up again -> because VDI powered it up.

Sure, you might not be a newbie... but patience is a good virtue! (plus I hear hooked on phonics works too j/k)
    www.idologic.com - Reseller, VPS and dedicated hosting - Friendly Customer Service - DirectAdmin - cPanel - InterWorx

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/tips/1161/1/

and that's what VDI is probably referring to:

If you have a modern ATX motherboard with APM power support compiled in, then "halt" will powerdown the system.

The Kernel compile options for APM under 2,2,x are found in "General Setup" "Advanced Power Management BIOS support".

After you have rebooted into the new kernel or loaded the modules, then the halt command or shutdown now -h will result in the machine turning itself off.
    www.idologic.com - Reseller, VPS and dedicated hosting - Friendly Customer Service - DirectAdmin - cPanel - InterWorx

Hmm. I see what you mean now, but still, i'm just saying.. He was very difficult to follow.
    Last edited by clocker1996; 10-09-2002 at 10:15 PM.

I believe interserver is the same company as flyinghosts, if that is the case, you can expect little to no support from them at all. From our past experience anyways.

Originally posted by clocker1996
    He wasn't very difficult to follow.
    He was very difficult to follow? .... have a coffee on me!

Well, I have reason to believe clocker1996 does know what he is doing; I think it had to do with communication between the two.

whoops. I"m really tired =(

I meant. He was not very clear.

Originally posted by clocker1996
    whoops. I"m really tired =(

I meant. He was not very clear.
    Yes, he was not very clear.

HAHAH, clocker, you're way more patient than I.

After the very first time the person stated something that was unclear this is what I would have stated.

I feel as though your contact with me is limited, and not going to help the situation. Either you focus on what you're doing with me, or I will focus on moving my services away from you.

You make the decision right now, what is your next comment.

After that, if they as much as said, huh, I would have pulled my server, and said, "Incredible", and been done with it.
    dotGig
    <:<: [Fruit eating linux administrator]

LMAO!!

errrrrrrrrr cute

23:54] VDI Boss: 10:20:00 PM all 0.56 0.00 1.18 98.26
    10:30:00 PM all 3.68 0.00 2.23 94.09
    10:40:00 PM all 1.54 0.00 1.54 96.92
    10:50:00 PM all 0.22 0.00 0.86 98.92
    11:30:00 PM all 100.01 0.00 100.01 0.00
    11:40:00 PM all 0.08 0.00 0.15 99.77
    11:50:00 PM all 1.43 0.00 1.41 97.16
    Average: all 100.33 100.34 100.33 0.00
    [23:55] VDI Boss: don`t know why it jumps..
    [23:55] VDI Boss: does the CS have leaks that you are aware of ?
    [23:56] VDI Boss: the load is low, and the 1212 proceses runnign
    [23:56] VDI Boss: is disc
    [23:56] VDI Boss: or discriptors i should say
    [23:57] VDI Boss: Hello ?
    [23:57] VDI Boss: if it happens agin, i`ll have the server swaped with another one
    [23:58] VDI Boss: Ill just take the drive
    [23:59] VDI Boss: swap it out, then that wil iliminate all possible hardware
    -----My wife said it was ok----

That has to be the saddest exchange I've ever seen.

Clocker, you are a patient man.

-Bob

Point,

My point was at the end was simple;

if the server was "just shutting off" and Clocker did not run a shutdown -r now or halt, or something to power it down.

#1 why would the load of the server running at 100% a few times. While I was in it.

#2 If the server was down for more then 15 mins, why didn`t you call the office ? We never fail to answer the phones.

And now you kicked me out of the server while i was trying to monitor it, since it went down 2 times.

Hardware items can shutdown the server also, CPU temp alert, which was checked, it was running normal.

I wanted to see if the kernel had the auto reboot enabled, in the event load is high before you kicked me out.
    -----My wife said it was ok----

Re: Point,

Originally posted by William
    My point was at the end was simple;

if the server was "just shutting off" and Clocker did not run a shutdown -r now or halt, or something to power it down.

#1 why would the load of the server running at 100% a few times. While I was in it.

#2 If the server was down for more then 15 mins, why didn`t you call the office ? We never fail to answer the phones.

And now you kicked me out of the server while i was trying to monitor it, since it went down 2 times.

Hardware items can shutdown the server also, CPU temp alert, which was checked, it was running normal.

I wanted to see if the kernel had the auto reboot enabled, in the event load is high before you kicked me out.
    well i figured you weren't doing anything anymore. guess not. login if you want to, go for it.

http://vdisupport.webhostingtalk.com

LOL, shame you had to come here for eligible support clocker...

clocker1996, your PM limit has been reached. Delete some stuff.

Tip for managers: Teach your tech people to use nouns when ever possible. "It" just isn't enough.

... and spelling counts.
    Ronnie T. Moore, Founder/Owner
    AlwaysWebHosting.com Friendly, feature-packed Cpanel hosting, that can't be beat!
    cPanel 11 Fantastico Multiple-Domain hosting (Host up to 25 domains with one account!)
    Sales/Support via phone, email, help desk, forums, FAQ's, instant messenger, live chat

"VDI: I`m trying to go to your server, it`s refusing me"

I find that pretty humorous

FlyingHosts just use the VDI datacenter, they aren't part of InterServer / VDI / American Datacenter. VDI and Interserver merged to form American Datacenter I believe.
    Matthew Russell | Namecheap
    Twitter: @mattdrussell

www.easywp.com - True Managed WordPress, made easy

Hmm, perhaps it was not true, i just got it from this post:

Originally posted by mickmel
    Success! They've been sold to a company called "interserver". I called the number on the VDI.net website, and they were able to get me through to the interserver people. The site is back up now.
    Its the final post of this thread:
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...0&pagenumber=2

Originally posted by requiem4auth
    Tip for managers: Teach your tech people to use nouns when ever possible. "It" just isn't enough.
    that person was the owner of vdi.....

Bill, them complaining about the confusing support and 'grammer' (as we teachers call it), is just WHT language for thank you for bring the server up...
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

• Chicken

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast