Brand name vs Non

Hello everyone! You seem to have a nice community going here, so Ill just jump right in!

What would be the smarter decision:

Buying a brand name server (such as a Dell IBM or even a RaQ or something) vs Building a server my self.

I know everyones thinking Buy a professional brand name or something, but Im going to spend the same either way. So I could technically build a system with about twice the specs for the same price as buying a name brand one.

So what would be the advantages / disadvantages of just not doing it myself? Perhaps there are reasons Im not really thinking about, there just seems to be such a price difference.

Thanks.

Warranty and knowing that all the components work together (nicely) are the two big things.

There are also some smaller "brand name" companies like qsol.com that make really nice servers at good prices. Because they buy in larger volumes that you do, you might find that you can get the same spec for just about the same price with a warranty.

Frank
    Umbra Hosting
    cPanel | Softaculous | CloudLinux | R1Soft | Ksplice
    Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers, Colocation
    UmbraHosting.com

Thanks a lot, yes those prices are much better than I have seen before, although I will have to look at them a little closer to see if I could beat it or not, if I knew they were reputable and stable that would be a big plus. Have you ever did business with that company?

Also, what is the general opion on RaQs, I believe they seem extremly well built and easy to setup, but seem rather expensive for the power.

QSol is very good. I just bought a Dual Xeon from them. Ask for Joe. If you search the forums here you'll see everyone is happy with them.

I help a buddy out with a RaQ, but I don't really like it. If you don't want to break their CP etc. then you need to stick pretty much the the .pkg files. It just takes them too long to release security patches in the .pkg format.

Frank
    Umbra Hosting
    cPanel | Softaculous | CloudLinux | R1Soft | Ksplice
    Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers, Colocation
    UmbraHosting.com

There are just some things that Dell can do that you cant. If you have 25 severs and 10 domain controllers and 100 workstations, do you really want to have to provide support for all of that, or would you rather have someone else deal with all those issue and over night you parts when something goes down?

And just becuase you build it yourself doesnt mean its inferior. Look at SuperMicro products. Ill take a well built ServerWroks/SuperMicro solution with top-end hardware over something like a Raq any day. Same with IBM, their hardware inside isnt always the best. If I build it myself, I know it will be.

The main difference with buying hardware from someone else is a warranty. Build it yourself and anything goes wrong, the company you built it for will be calling you back. And if you buy OEM parts to save some money (nothing wrong with that, just know what you are getting into) you wont have anyone to run back to for a RMA so you will end up eating the cost of replacement.

Thanks...