Discuss new eNom reseller sub-account policy

Well, we now seem to have some "official" confirmation that no new reseller sub-accounts can be created with pricing less than $8.95.

I guess this is the eNom reaction to having so many people creating $6.95 accounts.. and thereby cutting into the profit of eNom.

It will be interesting to see how the reseller market changes as a result of this new policy. If you USED TO offer low-cost domain prices for a setup fee.. what is your reaction? I'm curious to know what others plan to do as a result of this.

Me?

I think that the new policy is great, as it will mean I can actually make some money with the domain industry again. All these $6.95 accounts for $4 setup fee were completely destroying the market. Now at least we can build a mildly sustainable business that has some recurring income..

Re: Discuss new eNom reseller sub-account policy

Originally posted by mrzippy
    I think that the new policy is great, as it will mean I can actually make some money with the domain industry again. All these $6.95 accounts for $4 setup fee were completely destroying the market. Now at least we can build a mildly sustainable business that has some recurring income..
    MrZippy, how do you plan to to this? As far as I know you are not a direct reseller!
    Anyway I'm also interested to hear your opinions about this new policy. Is this posted somewhere at enom?

Actually, I am an ETP.. and I just found out that my account was "adjusted" by mistake, and I can still create new sub-accounts with any price.

I'm going to have to sit and think about my strategy, but preliminary thought will likely mean I'll simply continue to offer the same domain-pricing, but raise the setup fee a bit since much of the competition just disappeared.

The only thing that really changes for eNom ETP's is that the sub-acounts we create will no longer be able to directly compete with us in the reseller market!

(Which is fine by me..)

Well as a direct ETP I have to say that this is a good change for us. It's unfortunate that it was necessary for eNom to do this, but then again I can only begin to imagine the support nightmare that was being created by the endless chains of resellers. ETPs should be fully aware of their responsibility to support their sub-resellers, and somehow I doubt that the $6.95 for $<low price> sellers at Ebay and elsewhere were bothering to do likewise.

I would also imagine (though I'm speculating) that fraud was becoming a problem as sub-sub-sub-resellers set people up without screening them or bothering to check who they were dealing with. Chasing the fraud up the chain one step at a time would have been a heck of a time consuming process.

Just my $0.02 worth anyway, and given my vested interest it's probably not even worth that!

Simon.
    http://www.AQHost.com
    Fast, reliable dual Intel Xeon servers
    Excellent uptime record
    Efficient and friendly support

I agree about the fraud. I've had a few resellers under me who were surprised to be help accountable for some transactions under their sub-accounts.

One guy was setting up cheap reseller accounts for everyone he knew for free, and ended up with about $200 worth of fraudulent charges when one of his "friends" used a stolen credit card.

The new policy is a good thing. I can't see anything bad with eNom's decision.

Yep, I have to agree that it's a good thing also. I don't know how many dozen's of times I've explained the fraud thing.

I don't have a lot of resellers, but the ones that I have I support well (ok, the best of my ability). I doubt that most "cheap" resellers are doing that.

So now this thread is up to $0.04 as I threw my $0.02 in .

Frank
    Umbra Hosting
    cPanel | Softaculous | CloudLinux | R1Soft | Ksplice
    Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers, Colocation
    UmbraHosting.com

So, is there no way to become a reseller selling under $7?

-Wc-

What's an ETP?

So it looks like the only way for one to get bottom rates, or create reseller accounts lower than 8.95 is to become a direct reseller...

Originally posted by Chris Marks
    So it looks like the only way for one to get bottom rates, or create reseller accounts lower than 8.95 is to become a direct reseller...

no, direct resellers(ETP) can set rates lower than $8.95

Right...do what I said or buy from a direct reseller....

i should have been a little bit more detailed....if you want rock bottom rates, you can just resell for an ETP, but you're right, if you want to do both, you'll have to become an ETP yourself (which requires a good chunk of change)

I wonder if eNom will ever raise the prices/rates for non-ETP accounts.

I never promised by customers a price guarantee, but I know many would be upset if their prices suddenly jumped to $8.95.

There's a ton of low-cost accounts that got created before this new policy.. maybe people will sell their entire accounts on eBay?

(ie instead of creating sub-account.. some people will likely just sell the whole $6.95 account for a few hundred or something..)

It's one way to get $6.95 without becoming an ETP.. even though you still wouldn't be able to create other low-cost sub-accounts..

Originally posted by mrzippy
    I wonder if eNom will ever raise the prices/rates for non-ETP accounts.

I never promised by customers a price guarantee, but I know many would be upset if their prices suddenly jumped to $8.95.
    I doubt very much that they would do this. The position has always been that the contract between a reseller and his/her subs is nothing to do with eNom directly. That's why you retain liability for sub-account fraud. Besides which they would gain nothing financially as all accounts eventually lead to root pricing regardless of how many levels deep they are.

Best wishes,
    Simon.
    Excellent uptime record

what about the old accounts that had 6.95 ? will be upto 8.95?
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

Originally posted by Bashar
    what about the old accounts that had 6.95 ? will be upto 8.95?
    As far as I'm aware all existing accounts will retain their pricing. The policy change affects new accounts that are created as of today. So if you're not exempt and have a $6.95 account, you'll keep your $6.95 pricing but will only be able to create sub-resellers at $8.95 or higher.

Best wishes,
    Simon.
    Excellent uptime record

and ETPs can still create accounts with lower rate than $8.95 ?
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

Originally posted by Bashar
    and ETPs can still create accounts with lower rate than $8.95 ?
    Correct.