critics and Professional Web Developer reviews wanted

We at www.cdxsolutions.com are a new web hosting firm. Our web developing team are putting the finishing touches on our website so beat with us over the week. Please post or email feedback as we would GREATLY appriciate it.

Thanks,
    IQ Studio
    www.IQStudio.net
    [email protected]
    Create.Design.Innovate

That's what I mean by logos - yous is nicely thought out.

Interesting drop-down menu - but getting some lag with it on a dial-up.

Btw - for "logos" think "logo" plural, not "logos" - as in that contentious statement by John in the Greek.

Hmm...just saw an advert on WHT while the post above was being sent - Advanced something-or-other, which had a logo not too disimilar, but without the "x" component.

Apples and oranges, perhaps.

Nice, but loaded a tad slow, i would cut the image file sizes down a little and maybe splice the larger images, looks good though
    movabletypehost.com / xarayahost.com / tikihost.com : Interested?
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?p=3691760

Looks pretty good. I don't know what stage you are at so some of the comments I will make may not hold true.

- The animation of your logo is nice, but I would only have it animate on the front page, then keep it static. The animation every page you click on gets annoying.

- With your drop-down, I am also getting delays with the images and I'm on dsl. I took a look at one of the images (companyprofile.gif) and it was 23k! For a 97x21 gif of black text on white background that is way too large. Definitely need to compress them better. That image should be less than 1k.

- I'm not sure if the pages that have the main info on them are final but they are all graphics, no HTML text. This is not good for a couple reasons. As mentioned before, load time is a big factor. The other is search engines. No text means bad ranking.

It looks like a good start though!
    Kevin Hauge
    Modern Leaf Design
    http://www.modernleaf.com

Yeah we are not done yet. I agree with your post and remind myself that this was a great idea to ask you guys what you think. I think ill tell the developers to cut down the graphics and to add text to the main page. We have been fighting with the drop downs. I personally think its a tad hard to navigate them. Please check up on our progress if you have a spare moment.
    IQ Studio
    www.IQStudio.net
    [email protected]
    Create.Design.Innovate

Very nice logo design.

It's often best to let us review sites that have been completed or are near completion.

The navigation is fine, IMO. However, it may be not user-friendly for other people who aren't yet comfortable with using the Internet as a daily tool.

I would recommend having the text highlighted, bold-faced, or changed in color when you OnMouseOver. So you can have a distinction between which link you're going to.

IMO, there's too much white space. It would be nice if you expanded to fit the 800x600 resolutions perfectly.

- [email protected] -

You might define the main page a lot simpler (Yes I know you're just started), but I would utilize the effort put into the logo as the focus for the main page.

Then, as mentioned above, make the logo static, and have much simpler pages subsequent from the main page.

K.I.S.S.
    dotGig
    <:<: [Fruit eating linux administrator]

As far as the flash,

I would increase the speed of the movie to 18 or even 30fps. Or build the logo in Adobe After Effects.

The reason for this is that it would speed up the delivery time and in After Effects you could add motion blur to the objects of the logo. This would create a more dynamic and fluid effect.

Just a thought.

Also the reloading of the logo upon clicking of the links is kind of distracting after a bit. Load it once and then use a static image for the rest. The reloading takes the users eye to the logo everytime and they are not focused on your content you are trying to deliver.

Just my opinions. Good luck.

We posted a new index page so check that out when you can. We plan to get rid of the logo on every page. It does get annoying. Please rate our content and post back suggestions. Thanks to all the posters that gave their input good or bad.

-eric
    IQ Studio
    www.IQStudio.net
    [email protected]
    Create.Design.Innovate

No one has commented on this yet... but I don't like the size of the page. To me it's too small, seems like there is information missing. (width is ok) Maybe some pictures???
    Selling text links on a web development and design website.
    Permanent PR6 and/or monthly PR7 link - limited quantity avaliable - PM for details

I like the letterbox type style for websites. it keeps it nice and clean that way

Yeah i think we need to expand it. We have some flashy pictures on other pictures. Its hard how to descide what goes on the front. Can you please give feedback on the current index page. I dont know if it suits hosting enough.

-eric
    CTO CDX Solutions
    IQ Studio
    www.IQStudio.net
    [email protected]
    Create.Design.Innovate

The text is embeded into the graphics. What if there's more that you want to say? This will slow the download time down alot.

Hi NICE SITE

But the logo should only load first time a visitor comes to your site

My advice would be to keep it simple. While the logo looks good, if someone has a slow connection it will be a bit before they figure out who you are. Perhaps leave the "CDX Solutions" text out of the animation and have it appear as text or a small graphic when the page loads.

Don't worry about adding flashy pictures. The key is the information you want to provide to visitors. Don't add anything to your home page that delays people getting to the critical information about your business.

Too many companies have sites that create a barrier to their content. Content is still king, especially for a business site.
    KG
    Play rugby! www.daytonrugby.com

I can't express enough my sincere gratitude to the WHT members on their awesome feedback. You ALL have helped us in our development process. I think we have come to the conclusion that the flash graphic needs to load once and content is key. We will be updating the site with suggestiongs you have recommended and ask that you check in on our progress and post an update.

thanks again

eric
    IQ Studio
    www.IQStudio.net
    [email protected]
    Create.Design.Innovate

cdx,

what drop-down menus? not everyone is using the latest in buggy software from microsoft =]

something isnt right with the javascript - i could understand if my opera couldnt handle compicated dynamically-positioned dhtml menus, but yours seems relatively simple and there is no reason why you should use non-portable jscript to implement it.

other than that, the site looks wonderful. i would keep it boxed in, i like that a lot, but expand it a tad - its too small at 1024x768. also, rollovers on the sub-links would be great.

cheers,
    paul
    * Rusko Enterprises LLC - Upgrade to 100% uptime today!
    * Premium NYC collocation and custom dedicated servers
    call 1-877-MY-RUSKO or paul [at] rusko.us

dedicated servers, collocation, load balanced and high availability clusters

We dropped the menu Items and decided just to go with the main menu. We have a new splash screen up for the packaging options.
    IQ Studio
    www.IQStudio.net
    [email protected]
    Create.Design.Innovate

We have added some new flash to our site that is worth checking out and reviewing. Some of the links have the same thing on them as we are developing the pages for them as I type. We are trying to think of a place to put the domain registration link. We are thinking about the top white space. Your thoughts?
    IQ Studio
    www.IQStudio.net
    [email protected]
    Create.Design.Innovate

The site just doesn't catch the eye if you know what I mean....it's too plain in my opinion. Also the red menu along the top is a bit fuzzy almost as if the whole menu is made up of jpg files.

very nice site though

I liked the site, very crisp design, the only thing I saw that I didnt like was the "best viewed in IE or bla bla bla", personally I've never thought that very professional and it doesnt make anybody just surfing go upgrade their browser. Other than that, great job!
    UrlRedo.com - short URL service

Different logos

Nice site, content looks good. I did notice the flash and static logos are different fonts and colors.

great but

no meta tags yet
    try something like
    <META HTTP-EQUIV="keywords" CONTENT="web hosting, web site hosting, cgi-bin, free domain,e-commerce, PHP4, MySQL, POP email, cheap web hosting, marketing, affiliate program, web hosting reseller, web marketing, SSH, SSL, control panel, e-gold">
    <META HTTP-EQUIV="description" CONTENT="Excellent value web hosting. Large
    high-traffic sites for as little as A$20.00 a month!
    actually I couldn't see any prices so have used mine

if using 100% height tables try scroll="no" in the body tag

for search engines especially when first chasing rankings you must keep your code as clean as possible the java must go from the head of your index page, keywords keywords keywords

but still may be better than mine
    Last edited by benwalsh; 10-28-2002 at 08:48 AM.

woops

trymine
    Last edited by benwalsh; 10-28-2002 at 08:45 AM.

Re: woops

Originally posted by benwalsh
    trymine
    Really not appropriate to be trying to get traffic to your post by posting links in others.
    Kevin Hauge
    Modern Leaf Design
    http://www.modernleaf.com

Our site is about 90 percent done and we can take accounts but that still has to be linked. We have added some modifications to the description pages. Thanks for all your help.
    IQ Studio
    www.IQStudio.net
    [email protected]
    Create.Design.Innovate

Nice design. I get a broken link @ http://www.cdxsolutions.com/products/hosting/ss.asp order unix and win
    LNXPS - C# XPS Library

The Sun Bingo -

Yeah we are tying up loose links.
    IQ Studio
    www.IQStudio.net
    [email protected]
    Create.Design.Innovate

We are near completion. I want to know if our site provides enough information or if you think its missing something.
    IQ Studio
    www.IQStudio.net
    [email protected]
    Create.Design.Innovate

very good use of flash. i like how its integrated to an actual html page. i just hate sites that are completely flash, or site have "flash" splash pages. once again, great work...
    webdesign+webhosting
    http://www.sirehost.com

Is it easy to navigate from home to purchasing a hosting plan? That is our biggest concern at the moment.
    IQ Studio
    www.IQStudio.net
    [email protected]
    Create.Design.Innovate

who cares? i loooove the stock photo of a guy kissing the chick's hand with the 'customer is king' caption.
    * Rusko Enterprises LLC - Upgrade to 100% uptime today!
    * Premium NYC collocation and custom dedicated servers
    call 1-877-MY-RUSKO or paul [at] rusko.us

dedicated servers, collocation, load balanced and high availability clusters

Originally posted by CDXSolutions
    Is it easy to navigate from home to purchasing a hosting plan? That is our biggest concern at the moment.
    Bigger concern is that it's too stiff. Sorry, CDX, but if someone did that design for you, you need to ask them for some more eye candy. Flash doesn't compensate for a site with little eye appeal. Animation can hide some flaws in design, but it can't compensate for loss of visual appeal.

The template has the order down pat, but it leaves little to make a person want to stay to get to know your service.

Break out of the angular look, add some curves and take a look at the direction things are pointing too -- things should point to your selling point. From my advantage the Flash animation isn't the centerpoint, the server is (not the logo, not the "more details" [Danger: it's too small to care!]).

Take a look at this:

http://www.ebtx.com/art/art06c.htm

[The site is very good at explaining art composition. Every web host should get to know the very basics of design, so they'll know what to look for and to avoid. Why make costly mistakes?]

Now can you understand when I state about trying to aim the focus to a selling point? Try to get the eye to focus on what you have them there in the first place -- to buy your service/product, not look at a kewl flash animation, or a graphic of a server. That's wasting real estate *and* the customer's time.

Time=money.

Chris

i thought the site looked nice. It was easy enough to get to the plans and so forth. (takes a sec to find how to get there) perhaps making the image links a little more flasher persay. other than that i liked the flow and fill of the site. one more thing. Takes a little long for dial ups to get your site up. (try and remember the 7 second rule). Keep up the good work

David W
    Image1Design.com (coming soon)