View Poll Results: How often do you get telemarketed to by hosts?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Daily

3 11.54%
  • Weekly

3 11.54%
  • Monthly

2 7.69%
  • Sporadically

4 15.38%
  • Never! Hosts would never stoop to such behaviour!

14 53.85%
  • All the time! I've had to rip out my phone and choke a small rodent with the cord.

0 0%

Question How often do you get telemarketed to by hosts?

This seems to be happening more and more lately (at least weekly), so I was just wondering how common a practice it is. Specifically, I was awakened by a colocation host that popped up in the downtown Toronto core earlier today so I was just wondering whether or not this was common or if the majority of hosts don't use this method or how it works.
    Is Canada the best? Noo Doot Aboot It!
    "And on the eighth...day...God...created...Mankind. WHY WAS HE HAVING SUCH A BAD DAY?" -- Mick Foley

Hmm.. colo facility in TO? mind sharing the details?

I would if I hadn't told him to **** off (he got about 15 seconds into his rant and I was tired or he wouldn't have gotten the extra 14. )
    "And on the eighth...day...God...created...Mankind. WHY WAS HE HAVING SUCH A BAD DAY?" -- Mick Foley

Lol, yeah, I know how you feel. I normally use the Sienfeld method myself, and it works a charm.

Here it is:

Ring Ring:
    You: Hello?
    Marketer: Hi, im from Spamhosting I was wondering if...
    You: Oh, excuse me, im sorry, im just tad busy at the moment. Can I get your home phone number and give you a call later?
    Marketer: Oh, I can't do that sorry.
    You: Why? You don't like people you don't know calling your home? ME NEITHER!!! *Hang up*

I love it!

I was actually an evil telemarketer onces.. it has to be one of the most stressfull jobs out there. I know how it is on both sides, and I don't know which is worse really. They are just doing their jobs, trying to make a living.. but it is annoying.

I call out selling Web Sites and Hosting to business all over the US.

The truth is, we know you hate us and we don't care. We hate you too!

j/k

It is a stressful job but that fact is that billions of dollars are sold over the phone every year and there are more people employed as telemarketers in the USA than any other single profession.

B2B telemarketing is alot different than B2C.

Tips for pissing off telemarketers:

1.) Act interested, then ask them to hold, leave them on hold until they hang up.

2.) Tell them that you will buy tomorrow. When they call back the next day tell them that you will buy tomorrow. Repeat as necessary.

3.) Ask them questions about themselves. Ask them how long they worked for the company, if they like their job, how many sales they make a day, how much they get paid, If they are married, have any kids, etc.

All of the B2C telemarkets are scams. 90% of the B2B telemarkets are scams as well. But there are some legitimately good services being offered over the phone.

Go on Kazaa and download Telemarketers calls....there are ppl that will annoy them to death! some things are so funny you will not be able to stop laughing for hours!.

We have a telemarketing team also, so we are guilty of this one. Either way, we only have about 10% of the calls (if that high) that are rude, or just outright a jerk.

Another 70% either is really nice about not wanting the product, or not in the office.

The other 20% is the ones that purchase, and funny, turn out to be very loyal customers (Sorry, even better than the ones off WHT requests forum) that wind up spending alot of money as thier business grows with us.

Yes, I hate telemarketers, but from a business perspective, it makes too much sence for hosting companies not to do it. It is direct marketing targeted to businesses (not homes, at least for us) that has a pretty good return that only costs the companies (in most cases) the cost of a phone line, phone, and commission on the sale.

So yes, marketing to homes and private residence we would never do, but as a business, we look at it as Pitney Bowes does it with thier mail machine at least once a week to us, along with NUMEROUS upstream providers soliciting us, etc, and they are so rude to hang up on and get rid of, when we make our calls, if they even act the slightest disinterested, we just let them go and hang up.

So yes, we are admitting to being telephone spammers, but the return on it is just too good to not do it, at least in the area that we target....

Well, that is why you look at who you are calling first, not just dial random numbers. We usually take out of the phone book or something where we can target specific types of business on specific days.

That is just stupid to call another ISP (although we do go after web developers because of the sheer number of sites/people that they deal with) to try and get business.

I get a lot of PM's and emails on here - even though my sig clearly shows i am a host myself.. unbelievable
    Matt Wallis
    United Communications Limited
    High Performance Shared & Reseller | Managed VPS Cloud | Managed Dedicated
    UK www.unitedhosting.co.uk | US www.unitedhosting.com | Since 1998.

You can call me frank! Ill pretend like im intrested! lol.

You ain't got no money, and I already put you no the "no call" list because of it

Originally posted by NodeHost
    You ain't got no money, and I already put you no the "no call" list because of it

LOL i used to have no money...got a new job as a manager at a local store and i also build custom computers...im now making a decent amount...(my girlfriend has me spend it all on her though LOL)

Originally posted by porcupine
    Yea, i'm curious to know whom this was in Toronto also, i'm just down here in Hamilton and picking up space in Toronto, unlikely to be anyone i've dealt with, but always good to know .
    Ahh Hamilton, the one-way street capital of the world (a guy can sure get messed up driving the streets there.)

Seriously, I can't remember who it was. My memory of the whole incident (other than it happening) is fuzzy. I guess I should try getting up at an hour most people would be driving to work at. On second thought...I don't have to.

Yes, hamilton is the one way st. capital of the world, no doubt. My driveway is a 2 car which merges into 1 car when you enter (its semi-underground, just a small 2 car garage), and when pulling onto the street, its a 1 way st. outside my house...... I've almost gotten killed a few times by idiots going down the street the wrong way at 70k/h, while im concentrating on the direction traffic *should* be coming from, what a nightmare .

Just tell them yah gotta go the cat is in the washing machine...if they call back, tell them yah gotta go, cuz the cats in the dryer now....worked on the US Army idiots....

Vamp
    Happily hosting @ Dathorn.com (Since 3/2003), Ispeeds.net (Since 2004), & Quadspeedi.net (Since 7/2005)!
    Hosted @ FDC for 9 Years

You mean cats don't belong in the washing machine? How else are you supposed to get the little hairball clean? Surely you don't want me to...wash it by hand???!?!?!?!