Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help setting up phpmanager

I am having the hardest time with the php manager people- and from what I have heard they are not very professional. If someone could please help me install this I would be greatful.

Is there someone who has AIM and knows how to set this program up. If you help me I will design your site free, I will show you designs I have done if you contact me.

Thanks
    my Screen name is CVCsucks

Whats wrong? I know it is an arse to install if the server isn't configured correctly.

When I run installation.php it is totally blank- I set everything up to the documentation they give. When I try to run the other php files it is totally blank as well.. PHP is configured correctly on the server...

Blank screen on php manager

I have had a hell of a job with support at PHPmanager they are not helpful at all.

after uploading following their "instruction manual" don't laugh

I used ASCII for everything except the graphics where I used BINARY.

Three days later after strugling to get some responce from their support I was told that the "ixed" directory needed to be uploaded in binary !!!

As soon as I did this the script ran

Maybe this is part of your problem robbiem

PS support suggested I let cuteftp decide which files were ASCII and which were BINARY !!! laugh I nearly wet myself!!!
    If there was a viable reasonably priced alternative I'd jump at it.

Hi,

"Three days later after strugling to get some responce from their support I was told that the "ixed" directory needed to be uploaded in binary !!!
    "

Your support request was replied to the same day.

"PS support suggested I let cuteftp decide which files were ASCII and which were BINARY !!! laugh I nearly wet myself!!! "

This was recommended because it works. It DID work didn't it? Although it may seem like an unprofessional solution to you, it is tried and tested and does solve the problem. So why are you making unecessary remarks about our support?

"I have had a hell of a job with support at PHPmanager they are not helpful at all.
    "

We received one email from you about this, of which we replied, and your problem was solved immediately.

Not True

I made several requests for help over the three days using the support forum you even attempted to answer one of them yourself in the end it was "BEN" who told me about the "ixed" directory requiring to be uploaded in Binary. Don't you think that that sort of BASIC INFORMATION should be made available to people who are trying to install this script?

I'm sorry but there is no excuse for that sort of incompetence.

And as for letting cuteftp a free hand !! no as anyone who knows cuteftp and has any real experience with scripts, you just do not do that, cuteftp has a mind of its own.

No it did not cure the problem, I uploaded the "ixed" directory myself as a binary, NO ONE should trust cuteftp in auto mode and yes I did get the help in the end but it was not from you or the forum it was from ben who I contacted through the members login and the support request form.

My reasons for answering the above request for help was because the guy had the same symptoms as I and I thought I may be able to help. I notice you did not offer any help on the above subject but you were quick enough to jump in the minute I raised concerns about PHPmanagers support. I have one last thing to say locutus if the cap fits wear it !!!

Hi,

"Don't you think that that sort of BASIC INFORMATION should be made available to people who are trying to install this script? "

This information is available in several posts on the forum, although I agree that it should (and it will) be added to the installation guide.

"And as for letting cuteftp a free hand !! no as anyone who knows cuteftp and has any real experience with scripts, you just do not do that, cuteftp has a mind of its own. "

As I mentioned above, this was recommended because it is tried and tested and works. If you do not want to do it, that is your problem, not ours. We gave you 2 solutions, and one of them worked. Just because you chose not to take the other one, that does not equal bad support.

"yes I did get the help in the end but it was not from you or the forum it was from ben who I contacted through the members login and the support request form. "

That is what our support request form is for. Why did you not use it in the first place?

"My reasons for answering the above request for help was because the guy had the same symptoms as I and I thought I may be able to help. I notice you did not offer any help on the above subject but you were quick enough to jump in the minute I raised concerns about PHPmanagers support"

My apologies to the person who made the post. I thought it was the same person.

robbiem: What problems are you having? Have you submitted a support request?

This topic on support/service being bad is an old one. All companies have a few individuals out of the thousand clients they have that will moan about the support being slow etc. What they don't understand is that if they follow procedure and use the correct method of contact, then things will speed up. They also have to understand that there are live people behind our support, it is not automated, so it may take anything upto 24 hours for a response (you are told this everytime you submit a request, although it does tend to be a lot faster), and 24 hours is not equal to 3 days, although most of these people seem to think so.

Unfortunately, as with webhosting, it seems only the people who have negative things to say seem to post on this forum.

Regards,

Locutus

Talking Nooooooooooooo

Originally posted by Locutus
    . . . . . . . it seems only the people who have negative things to say seem to post on this forum. . . . . .
    I think phpManager is a great program. I've recommended it often.
    It is practical, functional, and comes complete with top-notch support (if it's ever needed). Any support issues I've raised have been answered swiftly and professionally.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program. robbiem; where are you? We have questions. Why do you say, "I am having the hardest time with the php manager people- and from what I have heard they are not very professional."? Have you actually asked for support? Or visited the forum?
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Hi,

"I think phpManager is a great program. I've recommended it often."

thanks SoftWareRevue

Regards,

Locutus

It seems locutus has a problem with criticism !! I agree whoever wrote the script has made a good job of it and I can see some real genius in parts. Its just a real shame that the support offered was not up to the same standard.
    My remarks are made from my experience with phpmanager support forum I used the forum as I was advised to use it in their welcome email.

"This information is available in several posts on the forum, although I agree that it should (and it will) be added to the installation guide. "

Too right to, we are talking about very basic information that should be on Page one Paragraph one. I did search the forum for a reference to Binary/ASCII and all I got was posts made by Locutus telling everyone to use Cuteftp !!!

"As I mentioned above, this was recommended because it is tried and tested and works. If you do not want to do it, that is your problem, not ours. We gave you 2 solutions, and one of them worked. Just because you chose not to take the other one, that does not equal bad support."

The bad support is not the solution to the problem, Ben's answer to my question was precise and acurate.

Are you aware that cuteftp in autodetect mode uploads some files of the phpmanager script in Binary, ....files that should be uploaded in ASCII !!! How many of the customers that you have advised in this way have tried to amend and alter the date format in the phpmanager clients page? at first I thought this was a BUG but I realised later that the "BUG" disappeared when the script is uploaded correctly.

Any body with any experience uploading scripts knows that cuteftp can not be trusted to upload the files in the correct mode, this is a problem that even Globalscape software are aware of and several posts are made in their forum on the subject.

Quote from Globescape Software
    " CuteFTP is programmed to automatically select the proper transfer type (Auto). Files with different extensions often need different transfer modes. For example, text, HTML, postscript, and other ASCII formatted files should be transferred in ASCII mode. However, bitmaps, executables, or compressed files should be transferred in binary mode. If a file does not transfer properly, you may need to make sure that the transfer mode is correct."

I believe you need to think again locutus YOU ARE WRONG.

Hi,

I really don't want to continue this discussion. It is off topic and is taking away my precious support time (of which you think I don't offer to anyone) for phpManager.

If you did not receive the support you think you deserve, then I apologise. From your posts though, it would seem that you are happy with Ben's support, just not mine, so please don't degrade phpManager support when I am the person you are trying to blame.

As mentioned above, cuteftp is a tried and tested method for uploading a working version of phpManager, so it has been recommended, whether you think it is any good or not, that is your problem, not mine. All I did was offer you a solution.

As they say, the client is always right, so I apologise again for offering you bad support, albeit unintentional.

Regards,

Locutus

I asked Locutus a handful of pre-sales questions on the support forum and they were all answered within a few hours.

And whenever a question is brought up here about reasonably priced control panels - PHPManager is listed more times than most. At the price of $30, and with all the functionality it gives - who can compete? It's a great starter setup, I hear.

Guess I am trying to say that a complaint about this company is NOT typical.

-WC-

It's a good deal for $30. This isnt picking on anyone in particular, there are many this applies to, but I think anyone who thinks they can be a web host should be able to do simple troubleshooting. In the PHPManager forums every third post is
    HELP ME! ....(cannot open file.php, permission denied, file not found, pick a simple error) WHAT DO I DO??????? WHY DOES YOUR SCRIPT SUCK?????

Not eloquent, Rax. But, a very good point.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Rax is that comment pointed toward me- if it is you are wrong. The problem I have goes beyound basic troubleshooting. After brining my problem to the attention of phpmanager support, he declared something wrong with the script. He is now fixing it.

But thank you otherwise...

No. It wasnt specifically you. I just get tired of people who have stupid problems and blame everything else in the world. This thread just set me off.

No offense intended.

"CuteFTP is programmed to automatically select the proper transfer type (Auto)."

This is BS and marketing gimmick; all FTP clients do the same thing. This isn't specific to cuteftp - I dunno why Locutus keeps recommending it. It's easy to configure which extensions you want transferred in ASCII and binary in the setup.

Most of these programs will choose ASCII transfer when they see an unknown extension (even that is configurable); it seems that's what happened in your case.

Just tell the program to ASK YOU about the transfer mode when they can't recognize the extension. And if you don't know what you should do, try BOTH and see which one of them works.

Hi,

"I dunno why Locutus keeps recommending it"

if you read all the posts above, you will notice that I keep on saying:

"It is tried and tested, that is why we recommend it". By default, cuteftp works, whereas wsftp doesn't.

Regards,

Locutus

I just want into the support forums I bought it this morning.

When I try to add a transaction it tells me
    Error, unable to retrieve client details.
    I can edit the client fine, and they've got a plan and stuff. I'm hoping this is in the forum someplace when I get access (hint hint).

Edit: oh and "show all" doesn't work, is that also a known problem or have I somehow screwed something up? After mcrypt the install really isn't hard or complicated so can't imagine what's screwed.
    Last edited by 2Grumpy; 10-11-2002 at 08:12 PM.
    Gary Harris - the artist formerly known as Dixiesys
    resident grumpy redneck

Hi,

you now have access to the forum. Please make a post in the support forums, or send us a support request with further details.

Regards,

Locutus

Dixie please inform us on how this goes.
    I'd be very intrested in seeing how easy/hard it was importing exsiting clientel into PHPman
    Regards,
    Eric

Originally posted by Dixiesys
    Edit: oh and "show all" doesn't work, is that also a known problem or have I somehow screwed something up?
    This seems to be a problem for me when I use my preferred browser, Opera. If I use IE (I think 5.5 on this machine), I can list all of the clients satisfactorily. I think PhpManager does demand some particular browser specs to work properly.

HTH
    Bloory
    Watch this space...

... ok a PHP/mysql program written that can only work with Windows based browsers? Someone wake me up surely I'm having a nightmare.
    resident grumpy redneck

V2.0

Im just waiting on v2.0 hopefully it will have the features that were promised to us.. such as Enom

Also, Im still having a problem with PHPM/WHM my accounts get created in PHPM but not in WHM so there is a communications problem there but I have someone from MCHost forums looking into that for me Im sure its just something that has to do with the ability to write the plans as per what myPHPManager said when I seeked support from him.

In regards to support from PHPM my experience was slow on getting support, however think of what you are getting thou and try to be resourceful on support, PHPM is a VERY low cost billing system that does alot for the money, if you see the current post regarding modernbill the price is close to 100x more than what phpm cost.

Thanks Lotus for creating a great program and keep up the good work

Tom
    DWS CENTER LTDA--http://www.dwscenter.com
    Web Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers, Low Cost Domains!!
    US, UK, Netherlands & Asia!!!

Ya can't complain much for the price, no argument there. And yes just tried it in IE and didn't get any of those error messages I was getting before.
    resident grumpy redneck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast