Hi, everyone..

I'm a refugee from the shared hosting wars. Have a community Portal, with up to 500 possible users. Written in JSPs. IMPOSSIBLE to find a shared host that doesn't jam too many users onto their servers, causing my app to perform horribly. (It runs great on my dedicated box, so I know it's not the app).

So, I am trying to decide: go with a Dedicated (seems a bit much) vs. a Virtual Dedicated Server.

Since my needs are for a single app (and I am not trying to host multiple sites, etc), is VDS or Dedicated overkill? I do know that my experiences with Shared hosting have totally not been a lot of fun, and am thinking that a box all my own (or a VDS without too many other sites on it) might be the way to go.

Also - I'm a newbie to VDS, and can't seem to find many VDS companies that truly slice up system resources into guaranteed chunks of CPU, memory, etc. Is there a better resource for finding these?

Oh, and one last (small) requirement: I'm really trying to keep out of pocket costs to $50-99 as I am paying for the site out of personal funds right now.

Thanks -

Jim