Does anyone use handheld/PDA's for their hosting company?

I was thinking of getting something like an iPAQ Pocket PC to answer emails while I'm at work or away from my computer. Does anyone else do this or have any opinions on this?

I don't know much about them, how would I be able to access the internet through one? A cell phone? What kind of software/hardware would I need?

Thanks

Yes, I use the Compaq IPAQ 3870, Great peice of kit. You can use your mobile (Cell phone) to access the internet, or you could buy a expansion jacket and a pcmcia modem if you will have access to a phone line.
    Adam Heavens
    Server Centre Limited (www.servercentre.net)
    Exchange 2007 Hosting, Windows/Linux Hosting

Sounds like an interesting idea. I guess you would need to get one of those folding keyboards to answer emails efficiently.
    Download my eBook + Videos: Starting your own successful web hosting company.
    Learn from a web host with 7 years of experience.

yes but

I use it for more thn just reponding to email. mp3 player, web broswer, tasks list and sometimes development on the go. HP Jornada 567

We're going to start using the treo 300 for everyone. We already use sprint for our cell phone service and with their new service we can access email and browser from anywhere in the country if need be.

The trick setup would be if someone built some software for the palm os that would also be installed on the server and allow for remote reboots and restarts of separate services.
    Matt Kelly
    WCiT.net
    Managed and Unmanaged
    Budget VPS, Cloud and Colocation

Thats why I have a Ipaq it has terminal services client as standard
    Adam Heavens

Thats a good point but we would need something for linux based servers. Also something that was integrated into both would be nice.
    Matt Kelly
    WCiT.net
    Managed and Unmanaged

Doesn't Pc anywhere run on linux? If it does they do a version for the ipaq
    Adam Heavens

Sounds interesting indeed! I don't have one but it's on my x-mas list

http://www.handspring.com/products/t...at_name=Treo90

Look, it's only $299!

Anyone have it?

Interesting thread... I'll be using a Jornada starting tomorrow while out of town. Luckily there are SSH clients for Windows CE.
    Cpanelhosting.Com
    Reseller Hosting
    Web Hosting
    Domain Registration

Amazing! I gotta get one now that they have SSH client support!

Do any come with built in wireless networking?
    Can you get an addon to allow this?

Get the Nokia Communicator. You can get an SSH client for it. It is the ultimate geek must have.

http://www.nokiausa.com/communicator/buyit

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

The treo 90 is not wireless. You would need the treo 300, I don't think any of the other treos are wireless not sure though.

I prefer the handspring since its based on palms os and not microsofts. I'm subjected to microsofts problems each day, I don't need them on my handspring.
    Matt Kelly
    WCiT.net
    Managed and Unmanaged

The Nokia Communicator looks pretty nice. I think I'll go check it out tomorrow. Does anyone else have one of these?

I'm thinking either that of getting a mobile and the iPAQ 8900 series.

I have a Compaq Ipaq 3870 (Bluetooth), in combination with the Nokia 6310 (also Bluetooth) it's fantastic to check your mail. to check my mail, I use GPRS from my mobile provider.
    You're reading my signature, can't you do something useful?

I have a Compaq Ipaq that I'm looking into getting internet access for. With my cell phone company (Nextel), I can add cellular internet access for about $15/month. But...I'd have to get a cellular modem for around $400

Does anyone know of a way to hook up a Motorola IDEN phone to an iPaq?

Well, well... if there was ever a thread made for me this is it

I am a confessed WinCE/PocketPC fan. I started with a HP clamshell about 5 years ago (620 maybe?), moved up to the 680, then a Jornada 540 PocketPC, then finally a iPaQ 3635 2 years ago. I have been constantly seeking a wireless solution for each of these devices, which usually meant hooking a Sprint cell phone up to the device via a cumbersome cable arrangement and receiving MAX 14.4k throughput - actually closer to 5-8k in use. (FYI, Sprint is CDMA and so is Verizon, you can also do wireless with Voicestream/TMobile GSM, and even Cingular in some areas.)

Last year I bough a Sprint PCMCIA wireless card for my iPaQ and laptop, that worked better from a practical perspective, but the speed was of course the same.

{hang in there, we're almost to the big payoff!}

Truth is, I stopped carrying my iPaQ because it was just impractical to haul around a cell phone, a pager, and a PDA device, especially one as large as the iPaQ with a PC Card sleeve attached. Too fat to fit comfortably in your pocket. I really missed having my calendar and data with me, but I just couldn't do it. Then I started hearing rumors of the HandSpring Treo line. WOW! As soon as I saw one on the web site I HAD to have one. The Treo300 is Sprint specific, the Treo270 is for other carriers.

Initial fears about the Palm platform were rampant... going from a 200Mhz 64 MB device to a 33Mhz 16MB device scared the hell out of me. I bought one in late August, and OMG!! The keyboard is the killer app on this thing, I love it!

IT JUST FRIGGIN WORKS. The integrated wireless totally kicks ass. Sprint Vision (2.5G) has a theoretical max of 144kbps, but it's actually around 50-75k in practice - very, very tolerable. I have a SSH client installed, and with screen scroll (not nearly as bad as it sounds, as most of what I need is in the first 40 characters of width anyway, unless looking at dir listings or editing a file) I can admin a box very easily. I thought this would be an emergency only SSH device, but I found that it works so well, I actually use it quite often. One caveat, all the free or inexpensive SSH clients for Palm are SSH1 only - so plan on taking some extra security precautions on the box you use as your wireless gateway. I have one box accepting SSH1 connections that I use as a springboard to the others. The other major pain in the butt: so far, with the best SSH client (Mochasoft Telnet) - no pipe '|' character support. Still trying to figure that one out.

Anyway, I can pull MRTG output up in the included browser to monitor trafffic or individual server parameters. I have a specially formatted output built into our inhouse server monitoring apps that produces a perfectly rendered display for the Treo screen. E-mails arrive on a push basis from Exchange/Outlook like a BlackBerry, and I set my primary POP account to automatically forward a copy via SMS to the phone for notification... if it's something I want to read or respond to, I pull it down with Eudora. AOL IM works like a charm, clients don't know if I'm at the PC or on my Treo. Quite simply the best device I've ever bought. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Check out http://www.treocentral.com for more info.

Also, on the remote admin question, I know of a client/server application for the Palm/Linux platform that lets you remotely admin your boxen via Treo or PalmVII. If you want details, drop me a line.

Hope this helps!

Brandon

thought it's a bit pricey, there's the Sharp Zaurus which is a Linux Based PDA. i have one and have been quite happy with it. you can easily do (if you have the right compact flash card) wireless networking, bluetooth, ssh and there's even a wireless modem for it, though the service isn't everywhere yet.

also, it has a built in hardware keyboard. you can go to www.myzaurus.com for more info.

I have HP Jornada 728 Handheld PC with Bluetooth. I have the Sony Ericsson T68i which is also bluetooth. I reply to support e-mails through our web ticket system. Also check these forums from there too

http://www.kaumilpatel.com/pictures/Im001600.jpg
    Kaumil P.

I have Ipaq 3630. It's been sitting in it's cradle nearly unused for 2 years (anyone want it? lol) I personally find PDA's take too long to do things; and I have a keyboard for it too!

For example:
    1. Diary - quicker to jot something down in a diary than turn on the Ipaq, prod the screen a bit with the stylus and fidget to type the characters out. I just find it personally takes too much time than just bringing a little bit of paper.

2. Yes I can see it would be useful if you had a SSH client for it and from this perspective it would be useful, however it seems pretty expensive from what I see to get your phone working with your ppc.

Blackberry...

I just recently picked up a blackberry 850 from blackberryme.com.

All I really want it real email access, because the cellphone just doesn't cut it. Since it comes with Go.web, I thought I'd look into an interface that I could use to insure things are running and such from the web...

Wireless still has a long way to go before it's perfect, or at least close to perfect. Too many regulations, too many hands in the pickle jar...

Steve
    Steven Santinelli
    www.sms-hosting.com - Premium Web Hosting
    www.sms-telecom.com - Low cost long distance/800 Service!

I have a palm powered Handspring Visor and a Franklin Covey paper planning system.

I have some good programs on my handheld like MobileDB which allow me to keep basic troubleshooting and FAQ information, error codes, etc. I also keep all my contacts in my Visor.

I've never used it for email but I've been thinking of upgrading to a new Ipaq from Compaq and then I'd switch to a totally handheld planning system.
    CDHost - Managed Business Hosting
    http://www.cdhost.com - [email protected]
    Proud Host of PhotoshopForums.com!

I have a T-Mobile Handheld specifically for answering emails, remote logins, keeping an eye on services, loads, etc. This is how I use it so hang on. YMMV.

Get the "server.STATS" script from clook.net and install it on your server. Excellent script by the way and you all will find it useful even if you don't have a handheld.

// begin- this is for those who use a Windows machine at home/work

Get the VNC Server (I use TightVNC personally) and install it on your Windows machine.

Get the Pocket PC VNC client and install on your Pocket PC Handheld

// end- this is for ppl who use a Windows machine at home/work

Get sshCE from movsoftware.com. It's not free but you have 15 connections before you have to pay. It's the only ssh software I could find for the Pocket PC. If someone knows of a free SSH client please do tell.

With the server.STATS script you can verify all services are running and see the current, 15 minute, and 60 minute server loads. The script will also email you if a service is unreachable. Very useful even without a Handheld.

With the Pocket PC SSH client you can remotely restart services or whatever else is needed.

VNC :: The extremely cool part ::

With the installed VNC viewer on your handheld and the VNC server on your Windows machine you can remotely log into your Windows machine via the web browser on your Pocket PC. Once logged in you can do as you would as if you were there. VNC is much like PC Anywhere, but it's free, open source, and without all the excess you'll find with PC Anywhere. This setup allows me to move freely and still be available when needed. Wireless Internet rocks!

Word to the wise... For the security conscious, be sure to get the VPN Internet service for T-Mobile. Also, at present, the T-Mobile service does not cover much more than most of the big cities and around the major highways. If you live in, or visit the sticks, your T-Mobile will not work.

Sorry for the long post... Hope this is helpful.

Scott Goodwin

I'd like to get my hands on the T-Mobile Sidekick. It's small and you get unlimited internet access for the first year. Too bad though because there's no SSH client yet. Rumor has it some of the company employees do have them installed though, so hopefully this will be released soon.

www.danger.com

Their msgboard:

www.dangerinfo.com

Btw, how much are you guys paying for your bandwidth and how much of it do you usually use on a handheld per month?

Originally posted by cbtrussell
    The other major pain in the butt: so far, with the best SSH client (Mochasoft Telnet) - no pipe '|' character support. Still trying to figure that one out.
    The hex code for | is 007C. Try looking for a way to enter that into the phone.

I just took a look at the Treo 300 and it looks absolutely delicious hehe...

Does it support Java? If it does there are SSH2 clients available in Java.

Originally posted by Skeptical
    I'd like to get my hands on the T-Mobile Sidekick. It's small and you get unlimited internet access for the first year. Too bad though because there's no SSH client yet. Rumor has it some of the company employees do have them installed though, so hopefully this will be released soon.

www.danger.com

Their msgboard:

www.dangerinfo.com

Btw, how much are you guys paying for your bandwidth and how much of it do you usually use on a handheld per month?
    Hey Skeptical, where do you see that you get unlimited internet access for the first year, as I don't see that anywhere.

Thanks in advance.

-Steven
    http://www.insiderhosting.com
    BGP Blend of Telia, GTT, Zayo, and Cogent in One Wilshire, Los Angeles!
    True Definition of Managed Hosting
    Proudly Offering Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers, and Co-location

http://www.t-mobile.com/plans/sideki...Override=False

Unlimited data transfer for the first year.

I have a question for you guys. I'm deciding on either the Treo running Palm OS or the Siemens SX56 running windows ce. Which one do you guys prefer? SX56 looks more powerful and has more gadgets, but I heard Palm OS is more stable.

Treo 300:
    http://www.handspring.com/products/treo300/index.jhtml

Siemens SX56:
    http://www.attws.com/include/phones/siemens_sx56.jhtml

windows ce all the way. Stable? WinCE has never ever crashed or anything for me

I can't find any software for Windows CE (StrongArm). This is why Pocket PC is better I think.
    Kaumil P.

This is what I plan to get. That way I don't have to have a cell and a PDA. T-Mobile has some great plans too.

I guess using PDA for hosting company is getting more popular these days. I'm using Handspring Treo and I like it .. I can do most of my work from just about anywhere.

Cheers,
    Roy K.
    Pixie Internet Services - http://www.pixiehost.com
    Affordable, reliable hosting solution with Instant Activation

I didn't know Windows CE and Pocket PC are different OSes. Haha guess I'm out of the loop.

So how does Palm OS compare with Pocket PC?

I don't know. Check out the software selections at Download.com
    Kaumil P.