Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is it ok to ask for your money back?

I'm leaving my host and was thinking of asking for a refund for the days i wont be hosted buy them this month would they do it? Or is it a bad idea to ask.

I've already paid them for the month but when i leave they have only hosted me for a week..

How long were you hosted by then total?

If you have been there are few months it would be bad form to ask for a refund for the rest of this month and I doubt they would give it to you.

If you have only with them a week total then yes you could ask for your money back if they have a 30 day or so money back policy.

I guess there is no harm in asking, but I think it would be up to the host. Try and catch them on a good day.

Re: Is it ok to ask for your money back?

Originally posted by Dave22
    I'm leaving my host and was thinking of asking for a refund for the days i wont be hosted buy them this month would they do it? Or is it a bad idea to ask.

I've already paid them for the month but when i leave they have only hosted me for a week..
    It depends... I personally would refund you a pro-rated rate because it wasn't your first month...

I guess it never hurts to ask...
    www.idologic.com - Reseller, VPS and dedicated hosting - Friendly Customer Service - DirectAdmin - cPanel - InterWorx

You should check their refund policy. If they have a money back guarentee, then yes. If they only refund remaining weeks or months, then no.
    I want to speak to the owner of the internet!

Depends on your reason

In my opinion, it would be appropriate if you are leaving because of service issues. However, if it is just to go to a cheaper host, because you changed your mind, or other reasons not at all the responsibility of the host, I do not think it appropriate to ask.

I would think most hosts would stick to their refund policy; however, if they want a good reputation as well as a happy ex-customers, they might refund you if you have a valid reason for it (like Incognito said).
    Matt De Leon
    GreekComm - http://www.greekcomm.com/
    Online Community for Greek Fraternities and Sororities.

Simply ask, you are leaving anyway so they cant harm you

I've been with them for over a month and i'm leaving from the lack of support and some other tech problems that they said they would fix weeks ago and never did.

I'm talking about 50 bucks i don't see why i should pay 50 for only a weeks worth of hosting.

Then you didnt get what you have paid for, (what they have promissed) i think that you should ask for your money or do a chargeback

Then you didnt get what you have paid for, (what they have promissed) i think that you should ask for your money or do a chargeback
    This makes me so damn mad it is pathetic. You are saying to do a chargeback OR contact the host. First, by credit card rules, you must attempt to obtain a refund from the merchant prior to processing the chargeback.

I agree, if the host refused, and he has a legit reason that he wants his money back, send it into dispute with a chargeback, but not use it as the first option.

This is the problem with alot of people, instead of contacting the merchant with a problem, they start screaming CHARGEBACK!!! Do you not realize that it costs the merchant not only the money that the client gets back, but also (in most cases) another $25 on top of it for a chargeback fee? And then you all are crying in the requests forum that prices are too high. If people attempted to get a refund instead of just jumping to chargeback, then maybe costs would not be so high.

Now that I am done ranting, I agree, contact the host, and if they are reputable, they will see your side of the story and issue a refund. I applaud your effort to go to the source first, and not do what the prior person said.

Agreed, ask your host first about any refund that you may be entitled to and use a chargeback as a last resort if you have to.

i think that you should ask for your money or do a chargeback

NodeHost, read my post ok? I did said that he should ask for his money first and than do a CB if needed.

By your own quote, it never said "if needed". That is what I responded to. It said "OR", not as you are stating.

If you meant the "if needed", then I agree with you, it was the way it was stated and read, and forgetting those two words that angered me....

chargebacks are expensive for a reason: don't f(*&k with the customer.

Well i asked them for a refund and to close my account they said they would be happy to close my account and that they normally don't give refunds.

What should i do? They already have my 50 bucks for this month, i don't see why they can't refund me some of the money since i was only hosted with them for a few days this month. Should i say give me a refund or do a charge back.

Do i have a right to do a charge back now?

guess i should add that the same things are still wrong with my account they still haven't been fixed all though they say everything is fine.

In my opinion, no!

This is not an appropriate use of chargebacks. You contracted for a service. You chose not to use it for the full time contracted.

That said, your chargeback may well be honored. However, I seriously doubt that there is anything in their TOS saying you merit a refund and expect that the opposite exists.

Just because many of us probably would have given you a refund as an accomodation, that doesn't mean we were required to or that a chargeback is appropriate.

Just in a very calm voice, ask them,

"If you were the consumer here, and you signed up for a service, would you want to pay for a full month, when you are not happy with it, and only used it for a few days?"

Even go to the extremes, let them know (depending on thier state) that Missouri for example has a law that ANY product or service that you purchase can be returned for a full refund within 10 days, as long as the product/service was not abused, deystroyed, and is still in like new resellable condition.

If they still refuse to assit you with a refund, then I would point out that you will do a chargeback (yes, in this case it would be warranted as you contacted the merchant first for resolution) that would cost them more than the $50 that they are trying to hold from you. This *may* upset them, but 99% of the time, chargebacks are found to be in favor of the consumer (part of the protection policy with most major credit cards) and you might have to start filling out a bunch of paperwork.

Whoever this host is, must be brain dead to not be able to see that you are out here kinda poking around, and be able to put 2 and 2 together that you are getting assistance from other ISP's and finding out that what you are wanting is legit. Just another one to add to the list of why we all get bad names, and no one trusts thier ISP anymore......

EDIT:

You contracted for a service. You chose not to use it for the full time contracted.
    Did you not read, he did not get the service he contracted for, not just up and leaving for no reason. The ISP is in violation of the contract for not providing the goods promised in the first place, thus warranting the refund / chargeback.

Originally posted by Tallon
    Agreed, ask your host first about any refund that you may be entitled to and use a chargeback as a last resort if you have to.

They are giving me a refund!!

I had to say something about doing a charge back before they would reply to my messages.

good for you dave. we're all customers somewhere, so it's nice to know when service providers own up to their mistakes and do the right thing.

That's great news Dave

Talking

Good for you in getting your refund! Do you mind sharing who the host was to save others from contracting with a crappy host? i.e. me...

maybe i spoke to soon it has been 6 days now and still no refund.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast