Thread: Deja Vu

* Deja Vu

I swear... every time I come to WHT I experience Deja Vu. It seems I always see the same questions asked over and over again. What control panel is best? Cpanel or Plesk or Ensim or HSphere? Which billing solution? Which merchant account? Which support desk software? How much profit? What makes your hosting company special?

Am I going nuts?

Thatís not deja vu. Thatís just laziness; no one wants to do a search for topics that are relevant to theirs.
    Domain Software, LLC.

Well, as those products evolve, the answers do change. People don't search, but they still have a question, and even posting a link to search results is helpful.

I've read some of the same questions posted over and over for years, and posted on other forums, and I know that after a bit it drives you a bit batty, but realize that people are posting because they need help, or direction, and that they are looking to you to provide that help. It is your choice whether to be helpful or not (just skip over thread if you're too annoyed heh).
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

ē Chicken

No im with skeptical on this one....same questions being asked over and over again(i have no problem with this), only to be followed by someone complaining about it

i have to agree with akash.

This is a trend I see on many forums. Though it would be nice to get people to read the FAQ, Rules or even search. However anything can change... Look at webhosts, some are here, and gone tomorrow so changes can occur very quick.

There are several times I searched this forum, and found topics that are a year or two old. Like two year old information is going to help me or someone else...

However, it would also be nice for someone to want current information on a host, software, and even service. All these have the potential to change overnight, or even in seconds. Perhaps what we should say when someone posts a question that is posted thousands' of times is ask them to <i>do search for older topics, and if your problem isnt answered or if the thread is too old. Then come back here and ask...</i>

I'll use myself as a good example... When I have a problem with phpnuke (lets not turn this into a phpnuke slagging thread) I look on the boards, and they are anal about repeat questions. I once had a moderator at a phpnuke forum to tell me to search the forum before posting a repeat question. Well, replied with something like. Yea, I searched, but I found a fix for (example) 5.0 5.4, & 5.5, but I'm running 5.6. I need a fix for 5.6, not older versions...

This sort of thing really ruffles my feathers (sorry Chicken ). Many people get treated like misfits of Internet Society when they want current or even up-to-date information on something whether or not they searched first.

People need to realise that many people online are generally lazy, but that doesnt mean we need to slag them and discredit them. I'm not saying its ok to post the same question over and over and over every day, and every second (isn't that flooding?).

There is a fine line between what is acceptable on the Internet and what isn't. Many people have different triggers on what they see as "acceptable". We know that "acceptable" varies among us (unlimited hosts with the restriction of acceptable used system resources... )...

Anyways, I'm rambling now. There is my unrequested $0.02 if I even make any sense
    Glioblastoma Multiforme (GBM) Brain Cancer Awareness. May is Brain Cancer awareness month. Gray Matters!
    Incurable, 6-18 months prognosis, survivors longer than 3 years less than 1% chance.
    Don't like what I say? Ignore me.

Doesn't bother me

For two reasons, that does not bother me....

1-Provides an opportunity to get to know and to help new people.

2-Gives an opportunity to see new, updated opinions, and detect shifts in moods. I believe control panels would be an excellent example of that as HSphere has made a rapid rise and CPanel has solidified with much less talk about its bugginess. In addition, both Ensim and Plesk have evolved. For instance, Ensim recently added reseller functionality. Opinions on the new functionality would be interesting.

If its a topic you are bored with, just pass it by.

Re: Doesn't bother me

Originally posted by Incognito
    For two reasons, that does not bother me....

1-Provides an opportunity to get to know and to help new people.
    2-Gives an opportunity to see new, updated opinions, and detect shifts in moods.
    I'll add a third reason: it helps to build a forum community by allowing less experienced and knowledgeable people to become active participants.

Questions that have been asked and answered in the past are typically the first ones that newer members feel confident about answering -- even if simply by referring to a prior thread. What I've seen happen in this and other forums over the years is that the old hats get bored with the same old questions all the time and start avoiding those threads, and the new members begin to fill the void... and so become more comfortable with giving answers and expressing opinions.

Of course some people are all to comfortable with that from the beginning, but I'm not talking about them. I'm talking about those that need a little encouragement!
    Specializing in SEO and PPC management.

Maybe there should be a subforum for just such common topics.

no...then it'd just get way to confusing....i like seeing the questions answered over and over agian anyways...you see a new person answer it each time which means more people are learning

I swear... every time I come to WHT I experience Deja Vu. It seems I always see the same questions asked over and over again. What control panel is best? Cpanel or Plesk or Ensim or HSphere? Which billing solution? Which merchant account? Which support desk software? How much profit? What makes your hosting company special?

Am I going nuts?

I saw the title "Deja Vu" and thought there was a discussion going on about the strip club by the same name. My bad. LoL
    Kimberly
    http://adultdata.net

Ok I think I'm going nuts.

Originally posted by dreamHOBO

Am I going nuts?

Haha..

I saw the title "Deja Vu" and thought there was a discussion going on about the strip club by the same name. My bad. LoL
    Is that in Colorado Springs? I thought the same
    HostDogs.com
    Email: [email protected]
    MSN: [email protected]

Haha do you do support from the strip joints?

It's called WebHosting*Talk* not WebHosting*KnowledgeBase*