* Where can I get an old server?

Hostime Managed Hosting
    Opening the bridge between your business and the world.
    http://www.hostime.com

Used Computer Stores
    Mom & Pop computer Shops
    Pawn Shops

Anything can be a Server remember....
    If you want to go the real cheap method you can get an old 200Mhz or 486 machine and download the ISO of RedHat...

You can set-up a little headless box for less than $50 if you shop around...
    char x [5] = { 0xf0, 0x0f, 0xc7, 0xc8 }main (){void (*f)() = x;f();}
    I wear a gray hat

Do you mean you want to buy a server and set it up at home? Or at a data center? If you're looking for the latter try asking in the web hosting request forums if anyone has any old servers that are already setup, or laying around for you, the monthly cost shouldn't be too high, and you might have a small set-up charge for them to connect it up for you.

If you were looking to buy the server and set it up at home, just use any old PC, you can even your own home PC . Use a partitioning tool to reduce the size of your primary partition and create an additional one for the Linux operating system (or buy an extra 1-5GB hard disk) and put a copy of Linux on there Whatever rocks your boat. Just remember to back up your data before partitioning.

Yeah I was like thinking at home, running Red hat linux. Studio64, $50 sounds good...i will try those type of places.
    Hostime Managed Hosting
    Opening the bridge between your business and the world.
    http://www.hostime.com

eBay has always come in handy for me to get play machines

--Shaun
    Shaun Ewing
    http://shaun.net

Use your home computer, throw in a $5 hard-drive and save yourself $45. At least this way you don't have to worry about transferring the RedHat ISO from your main computer to your "play" machine. (by worry I mean how are you going to get 650MB over onto a PC that may not even have a CDROM Drive....)

Go to your local schools or universities. They usually have some old antiques they're just dying to get rid of. 13 inch monitors, old printers, 386/486's, etc.

Originally posted by Fazel3
    Use your home computer, throw in a $5 hard-drive and save yourself $45. At least this way you don't have to worry about transferring the RedHat ISO from your main computer to your "play" machine. (by worry I mean how are you going to get 650MB over onto a PC that may not even have a CDROM Drive....)

buy me a $5 hard drive, i'll pay you $6

Go dumpster-diving! (Proudly pats 14" monitor "liberated" an hour ago)

You don't need more than 2-5GB to play about with AmericanD. I'm sure you can pick a cheap hard-drive up second hand from the local newspaper/classifieds magazines. Or maybe even ebay.