Post I need - resellers small and large to bounce ideas off

Heya Guys,

I'm looking for a few of you blokes to bounce some ideas off to implement a relatively advanced, but moreso an easy to use provisioning system for resellers.

I would like to know what makes a good reseller account, what hosts fail to implement for resellers, the best and/or most flexible payment options for resellers and things such as this.

I invite you to PM me and/or post into this thread.

Thanks!

A good reseller account in my view has the following:
    Good amount of space and bandwidth
    Good control panel
    Excellent support 24/7 preferably
    Option to upgrade quickly and easily
    Lots of features
    Excellent uptime
    etc etc

Payment:
    Options to pay monthly/quartlerly/annually
    accept as many cc's as possible
    accept paypal
    accept checks

Thats just my view

Do most resellers expect the host to provide support for their clients, or just to the actual reseller?

Also, would a pay-per-resource plan work better? ie; only pay for what you use, rather than buying in bulk and always having more than what you actually use

So essentially, an unlimited account - but are charged per resources used per month - ie; charge for number of domains, charge for amount of disk space and charge for bandwidth eaten that month.

I suppose this would require an enrollment fee to keep you covered for the first month, but enables the client to keep a close eye on how they are going.

What do you think?

Originally posted by hosticle
    Do most resellers expect the host to provide support for their clients, or just to the actual reseller?

Also, would a pay-per-resource plan work better? ie; only pay for what you use, rather than buying in bulk and always having more than what you actually use

So essentially, an unlimited account - but are charged per resources used per month - ie; charge for number of domains, charge for amount of disk space and charge for bandwidth eaten that month.

I suppose this would require an enrollment fee to keep you covered for the first month, but enables the client to keep a close eye on how they are going.

What do you think?
    THat might be hard to manage. Because really if you charged like 1 dollar for every 10 megs of space and 1 dollar for every gig of transfer you would still have to go in and figure out how much they used. It may work but would take alot of work. Also one thing about people is they always buy what they dont need. For exsample when ppl look for webhost they will pay 2 dollars more for that 200mb and 20 gig transfer account rather than the 100mb and 10gb transfer even th ough their site wont even use up 1mb of space and more than 1 gig transfer. On these types of sites you would lose on because then with the price i did above thats like only 2 dollars a month you make from them...man with CC processing fees and stuff you wont make jack!.. Id say the bulk.

To your other question reseller host will only provide support to the reseller. The reseller will do the support for the clients.

Originally posted by cedwards
    THat might be hard to manage. Because really if you charged like 1 dollar for every 10 megs of space and 1 dollar for every gig of transfer you would still have to go in and figure out how much they used. It may work but would take alot of work. Also one thing about people is they always buy what they dont need. For exsample when ppl look for webhost they will pay 2 dollars more for that 200mb and 20 gig transfer account rather than the 100mb and 10gb transfer even th ough their site wont even use up 1mb of space and more than 1 gig transfer. On these types of sites you would lose on because then with the price i did above thats like only 2 dollars a month you make from them...man with CC processing fees and stuff you wont make jack!.. Id say the bulk.
    The system would be totally automated - stats will be gathered nightly for the reseller to peruse each day.

I guess I can see your point of view, but I did really want to stear clear from overselling and charge the right price for each resource.

This I guess would sound expensive ultimately, but is the most fair way to do things.

However, in order to implement a system such as this, we would need to charge an enrollment fee.

Cheers

Still though...You wont make much off of it. You will make very little.

k, so we'll work off bulk accounts with easy-to-upgrade packages.

If that's what you guys want...it's what you want

Now, nameservers - I will be offering the plesk control panel with brandless nameservers and 4 completely redundant nameservers in US, AU, UK, US (in that order) - Do you have any suggestions for this?

As with domain registration, do most resellers have that sorted, or they would require an opensrs type interface and purchase domain years outright, own branded of course

What about SSL certificates, same as above?

As for the actual signing of a reseller, are you guys put off by having to fax-in agreements to accept companies terms, or would that detur business?

Do most resellers have a signup process ready-to-go - or would the provision of a generic merchant account and signup scripts (instant activation) go a long way?

thanks in advanced

I would suggest selling in bulk, if you charge people for what they are actually using you wont make alot. People never use everything they purchase(at least this is not the norm in hosting). But at the same time its not a good idea to rely on them not using it, so i wouldnt suggest overselling by much either.

Concernign domain registration the easiest startup way would be to become an enom reseller or somethign similar and setup your resellers with free sub-reseller accounts. Then they can fill the account and handle their own registrations, etc.

Faxes= I would think this would mainly depend on what market and type of resellers you are planning on targeting. The more professional of customers would look at this as a positive, while the smaller and less professional customers would see it as a burden. So it would depend greatly on who you are aiming to target. If you would like to be able to target all groups then i suggest no fax and one hell of a AUP and TOS to protect yourself with full details, etc.

SSL = I am not the one to give an opinion on this.. maybe someone else could.
    www.boxedhost.com
    COMING SOON!
    A Resellers Dream, In a Box

Re: I need - resellers small and large to bounce ideas off

Originally posted by hosticle
    I would like to know what makes a good reseller account, what hosts fail to implement for resellers ...
    Hi,

One area in which some hosts are sorely lacking is in actual business-building support for their resellers, i.e., what do resellers do once they've actually signed up for an account and are ready to start rolling? How do they nail down their target customer base? How do they actually market to this audience? How reasonably quickly can they expect to sign up hosting customers and start generating revenues?

I see these types of questions come up repeatedly on this and other forums, so it's clear a lot of hosts aren't providing the hand-holding support new resellers so often need. Any host that can offer such resources (even if it's in the form of a list of links to business-related sites and services) to resellers will have an edge over much of the competition.

I can go into even more detail if you're interested and want to PM me, but hope this helps with the brainstorming!
    Shirley Siluk Gregory
    The ebi Group http://www.ebigroup.com
    Business Plans, Marketing Plans, Resource Guides and Research for Hosts and Resellers

ebigroup does have a good point, this would definately help you to stick out among other reseller hosts and provide your resellers with something they need and are lacking from other companies.
    www.boxedhost.com
    COMING SOON!
    A Resellers Dream, In a Box

*noted*

Perhaps provide a bunch of business and marketing ideas thru the website, and perhaps provide newsletters with case studies analysing the success of other companies and how the reseller can achieve this?

A few more questions;

- Do resellers like to keep in close contact with the company in which provides their hosting - or the less contact the better?

- Does a complete members section with statistics and graphs of usage with the option to upgrade/downgrade account sound good - or not needed

- Are monthly newsletters good communication, or annoying?

Sorry to be a pain

* Ah for the love of Reselling

What most companies fail to see is that they are expecting Resellers to gain an advantage to "resell" their solutions and services bla bla bla, by asking these independent marketeers to purchase accounts outrightly, and then leaving these same marketeers who most are not even programmers to fend for themselves, seeking clients {which is in reality not simple!}, advertising the prepackaged package only at a higher price of course.

Companies {Hosting companies} should offer as much support as they can to Resellers

1. A minimal fee to become Reseller, payable yearly.
    2. Dedicated IP
    3. CoBranding Option
    4. Great CPanel
    5. Extensive Discounts on packages with options on packages whereby resellers can prepackage for existing clients or potential clients
    6. Support for Advertising and Marketing

C'mon these guys/gals are working their butts to sell your business, and I think resellers should get more than just lip service. I signed up for a reseller package aeons ago with PrimeMaster.com and they burnt me. Right in the 6th month, my domain disappeared, nowhere to be found. I paid a lot at the time, as I was starting out, and there was no sign of them for a long time. I recently discovered they had gone bust! now all these are non-guarantee for resellers.

Resellers, you'd need to look out for Companies. The LEGIT ones, there are a lot of non-legit Hosting Companies out there, and most of them are not even hosting companies. BE WARY and CAREFUL... okay I know I'm sidetracking here, can't help it.

Again, for LEGIT Hosting companies, Pls, contemplate on my advice. Life is too short to make enemies with Resellers. The best Advertisement is WORD of MOUTH, and in the 21st Century is SPAM.. Once people know you're not what you proclaim yourself to be, that's the end of your business.

There goes PrimeMaster.com . I wonder how many resellers got ziltch

AainaalyaA

Here is a look at my notes - good luck if you can decipher them

TIER 1 AFFILIATE

Quick Notes:

- percentage based on sale price, or complete setup fee
    - url ?rid=resellerid
    - Instant activation to sign up, free to enrole
    - Members section with hit rate and $$ values
    - Access to banners and propoganda in members section
    - % increased against high volumes

TIER 2 RESELLER

Quick Notes:

- bulk package purchasing
    - members section account stats, usage graphs, upgrades, add new customer, remove, give CP access etc
    - access to marketing tools
    - silver support package (ticket based)

TIER 3 GOLD RESELLER

Quick Notes:

- pay per plan sold
    - shared, private label payment pages
    - members section account stats, usage graphs, upgrades, add new customer, remove, give CP access etc
    - access to marketing tools
    - gold support package (ticket based/direct phone to acct manager)
    - merchant account (15% fraud reserve, rolling for 6 months 8% MSF)
    - $99 USD enrollment fee
    - customize own plans eg:

https://secure.payment-domain.com/ho...ogin&pkg=plan1

Customising of plans;

PKG 1

ITEM QTY COST SELL MARKUP %
    Domains/Subdomains 1 $0.00 $0.00 0.00%
    Disk Quota: 1MB $0.00 $0.00 0.00%
    Transfer (per month): 1MB $0.00 $0.00 0.00%

Totals: $0.00 $0.00 0.00%