Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Kevins reply to hostpacket members

Kevin's reply to customers who voiced their displeasure on his forum:

"if I don't care for you guys, I won't keep the servers running, issue refunds ( as you know no chargeback can go through our merchant provider, originally you can't get your money back), now playing around in my forum, even you was not charged for the service fee."

Is this guy from the same planet as the rest of us? He just keeps on making excuses to put himself in abetter light. We are playing around in his forum?? Voicing our displeasure over his service is "playing around in his forum"? The man went on vacation for a month without telling anyone. He use to post ONLY on webhostingtalk and not in his forum. He never even cared about his forum. NOW he does.

So now he comes up with this scenario: supposedly no one has been charged over the last two months. So why do we have a complaint? Is this a joke? Our sites are always down and we are losing visitors!!!

Kevin, if you are reading this, I want back in that forum. You have no right to keep me out. I am a paying customer and with freedom of speech I can say anything I want about your lack of service. By deleting posts and banning members you are showing yourself to be an extremely dishonest person.

Just another thread with more pissed off HP customers

Re: Kevins reply to hostpacket members

Originally posted by pkingtom
    with freedom of speech I can say anything I want about your lack of service.
    I am not agreeing with anything HostPacket have done here, however they don't have to offer freedom of speech, it's a privately run forum.

Anyway, good luck getting your problems sorted out
    Chris Adams - CEO - Rochen Ltd. - chris (at) rochen (dot) com

Now offering both US & UK premium business hosting, reseller hosting and managed virtualized services.
    rochen.com | rochen.co.uk | blog.rochen.com | forums.rochen.com | Twitter: @rochenhost

Re: Kevins reply to hostpacket members

Kevin, if you are reading this, I want back in that forum. You have no right to keep me out. I am a paying customer and with freedom of speech I can say anything I want about your lack of service. By deleting posts and banning members you are showing yourself to be an extremely dishonest person.
    My question to you and everyone else that comes here to complain month after month about hostpacket... why are you still hosting with him??? Why are people like you sticking around and keeping him in business? You can cancel your account and issue a chargeback if he doesn't want to give your money back regardless of what you have been told.

I get the feeling these people like the drama.

Can the people who own hosts NOT reply to these threads? Consumers have a right to voice their displeasure. I never said the host owed me freedom of speech. That should be something offered to anyone anywhere.

But as far as the hosts, I don't care for you replying just for the sake that I might see your tags and decide to sign up with you. And I don't need your "stick up for your fellow host stuff" either. Unless you too want to charge customers and then not offer them what they pay for, igore them when they ask for help and not update people when things go wrong. Just a few of the problems with hostpacket.

Re: Re: Kevins reply to hostpacket members

Originally posted by localhost

My question to you and everyone else that comes here to complain month after month about hostpacket... why are you still hosting with him??? Why are people like you sticking around and keeping him in business? You can cancel your account and issue a chargeback if he doesn't want to give your money back regardless of what you have been told.

Oh ok, attack me now. Gee, I thought webhostingtalk was a place where any hosting issues can be discussed. Instead I am just finding this place to be filled with a bunch of people who get testy if they have to read more than 2 threads on one particular subject. Or maybe people have just forgotten to click the next link and avoid what they are sick of.

This was my first web host. I don't know if you ever went through something like this yourself, but not everybody immediately stands up and terminates their accounts as soon as something bad happens. I was actually a staunch supporter when the incident happened and tried to give him a chance to hang around. It's not that easy to just issue a charge back, there's a lot more that happens with the entire process. (finding a new reliable host, ten million questions, etc, etc)

Kevin is a fraud simple as that. Change hosts and you will have no problems.
    Clustered Hosting With Continuous Data Protection (CDP)
    http://www.solidinternet.com
    8 Years of hosting excellence!

This is a general rule (applies to 90% of the time) the less you pay the lower quality you will get. Why settle for a host that costs $2.95 when if you paid $6.95 with a reputable host you would be ok (in most cases).

Pay the extra and get peace of mind IMHO.

Originally posted by Myacen
    This is a general rule (applies to 90% of the time) the less you pay the lower quality you will get. Why settle for a host that costs $2.95 when if you paid $6.95 with a reputable host you would be ok (in most cases).

Pay the extra and get peace of mind IMHO.

I did pay $6.95

Why do they still have customers?

Why do folks stay with them?
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

It was an example, if you went to a more reputable host you might have paid 12.95 but then you wouldn't have these problems

Do a chargeback anyway, Kevin is bs you lot.

Originally posted by Aussie Bob

Why do folks stay with them?
    Yes they don't respond, they don't refund they are constantly down yet people stay with them. I wish our customers were so forgiving

Because they lost an amazing $6.95 and stay in HOPES that it will come back online and live happily ever after.

But as far as the hosts, I don't care for you replying just for the sake that I might see your tags and decide to sign up with you.
    Umm... no, not really. Do you think we want a million threads in one day posted about Hostpacket? We aren't doing it so that you might move to us. If people who own hosting companies want to reply and voice their displeasure about the whole situation... well.... just let them.

Just my $0.02

Originally posted by faculty
    Because they lost an amazing $6.95 and stay in HOPES that it will come back online and live happily ever after.
    Can you expound on this statement. It sounds to me like you are saying someone who pays an amazing $6.95, which for an entire years comes out to about $80 bucks, is not worthy of the same treatment that someone paying $12.95 a month deserves.

I don't know. Maybe $80 is nothing to you.

Well dns issues are back again, thought it was just a one time thing today. But this is how it started the last time the server got "formatted". So its time to look for something else.

Can the people who own hosts NOT reply to these threads? Consumers have a right to voice their displeasure. I never said the host owed me freedom of speech. That should be something offered to anyone anywhere.

But as far as the hosts, I don't care for you replying just for the sake that I might see your tags and decide to sign up with you. And I don't need your "stick up for your fellow host stuff" either. Unless you too want to charge customers and then not offer them what they pay for, igore them when they ask for help and not update people when things go wrong. Just a few of the problems with hostpacket.
    It just doesn't really work that way. There are lots of hosts on this board and many of us are pretty active and involved in what goes on here. If you don't want people to respond to your thread, perhaps posting in a forum with less traffic might be a good idea.

I certainly can't say I agree with all the hosts who have responded here, but you can't post whatever you want to here and expect to dictate who's going to reply and who isn't.

In any case, I'm sorry you had all these problems. Hopefully you can find a host (whether it be here or elsewhere) that won't cause you so much grief next time. Try giving the forums a search.

Can you expound on this statement. It sounds to me like you are saying someone who pays an amazing $6.95, which for an entire years comes out to about $80 bucks, is not worthy of the same treatment that someone paying $12.95 a month deserves.

I don't know. Maybe $80 is nothing to you.
    I think that he means that if you pay $6.95 for a host who offer the world at that price, you'll face the problems that you're getting now in HostPacket, I can be wrong, but I think that's what he means.
    Last edited by Jedito; 10-08-2002 at 03:08 AM.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

you should get better reliability than that for 6.95, 6.95 is not THAT cheap. Its not like it was a 2$ AYW account or something
    Nick Twaddell
    WebSpace Solutions - Custom E-Solutions
    Fast, Reliable, Affordable Web Hosting

Consumers have a right to voice their displeasure. I never said the host owed me freedom of speech. That should be something offered to anyone anywhere.
    They don't have the right to do it on the host's site and on the host's forum however.

Kevin, if you are reading this, I want back in that forum. You have no right to keep me out. I am a paying customer and with freedom of speech I can say anything I want about your lack of service.
    As was said, he has the right to keep you out. You simply don't have freedom of speech on a privately run message board such as hostpacket's (or this one). We don't remove posts because it would serve no purpose to us, but Kevin might if he feels it serves his purpose.
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

• Chicken

I'm paying for support. And that is the only outlet for support right now. I do have the right.

But I guess that's my opinion. I'm not looking to extend this argument.

You're the one talking about freedom of speech but yet you don't want people who own web hosting services to post?

Originally posted by rochen

I am not agreeing with anything HostPacket have done here, however they don't have to offer freedom of speech, it's a privately run forum.

posted by Chicken
    As was said, he has the right to keep you out. You simply don't have freedom of speech on a privately run message board such as hostpacket's (or this one).
    First the forum is private only to the outside world, it is not private to customers. Hostpacket lists the forum under Technical support options. He also lists chat, knowledge base, trouble ticket system. None of these other options work! The forum was the last place that customers could find out what was going on. This has nothing to do with free speech. This is getting the service we paid for. So Kevin closing the Client area of the forum is another example of Hostpacket failure in taking care of it's customers. Customers do have rights, they should be able to get what they thought they had purchased.

It's different on Webhostingtalk forum. We all use the forum as a courtesy of the owner of the forum. We have no rights.

Originally posted by localhost My question to you and everyone else that comes here to complain month after month about hostpacket... why are you still hosting with him??? Why are people like you sticking around and keeping him in business?
    There are several reason that some of us stayed and there are several reasons why we come here and complain.

Why We Stayed.
    1.I stayed, because I had moved from a more expensive host that ripped me off and didn't provide the services they advertised. I was not interested in moving again right away. If any of you that are hosting service operators had a major failing, you would want your customers to stay too, and give you a second chance. So I stayed, Hostpacket gave a free month of service.
    2. Those of us that stayed hoped Kevin would get his act together. It is hard to imagine someone working so hard to build up a business, and then so completely turn their back on it's customers the way Kevin has. It's actually absurd, but Kevin has actually done this. I guess mentally and emotionally he hasn't recovered from the circumstances that happened at the end of August.

Why we post here on Webhostingtalk:
    1. A lot of us found out about Hostpacket on webhostingtalk, I know I did. Therefore it is only natural to come to where we first read all the glowing reviews of Hostpacket and make an effort to let others know what is really happening with Hostpacket. If we had been silent how many other new accounts would Kevin get to rip off.
    2. The fact that you are still reading negative stuff about Hostpacket, is a new round of Hostpacket's failings. I doubt that Hostpacket can survive much longer. He turned down an offer to purchase his company and walk away from all his headaches. But somehow Kevin either thinks his failing company is worth more than what was offered, or that he can pull the company out of it's current status. I don't know how much was offered, but it is doubtful that Kevin has the wherewithal to revive his company.

Posted by Myacen
    It was an example, if you went to a more reputable host you might have paid 12.95 but then you wouldn't have these problems

posted byJedito
    I think that he means that if you pay $6.95 for a host who offer the world at that price, you'll face the problems that you're getting now in HostPacket
    Of all the things said, this makes the least sense of any. What guarantee is there that if you pay another company more money they will provide you better service than a lesser expensive company. That is the logic the Americans tried in the late 70s and early 80s when the Japs took the automobile market by storm. The Japanese offered a better more reliable product with many more features for less money. Guess what people bought it. Why wouldn’t anyone want to use a hosting service that offers a lot of features. If you
    don’t have the features and you charge more money, and no one can verify if your company performs better than the company charging less and offering more, guess who wins. There is no “truth”, paying less means you get less. There is the expectation that if one pays more they should receive more, but that isn’t true either. Small companies charging less often out perform larger companies charging more.

Prior to Hostpacket, I was with a bigger more costly company. Guess what they didn't provide any better service. When trying to get features that came standard with many other hosting services, the company only wanted to charge me even more money. Yet the company failed in responding to service request emails, no phone support, no chat support, no forum. They didn’t even honor their guarantees, so why stay and pay more. There is no guarantee that a company charging more for the same service will give you better performance. It boils down to performance, can a company perform properly at the prices they are charging. If the company is inexpensive and is making enough money, then they should be able to perform. The same holds true for the larger company charging more. If the small company runs a tight ship, keeps overhead and operating costs to the bare minimum, and nothing catastrophic occurs, they should be able to perform. If the larger company maintains their profitability they too should perform. But if the larger company lets costs get out of hand and keeps adding personnel that don't perform, guess what that company will eventually stop performing too.

That leaves everyone back in the soup. We all need to find reliable forums and sites that give good or bad customer feedback. That feedback is the only way most of us will be able to judge what is actually happening with a company. Unfortunately, most feedback is bad, because you only here from the customer who isn't satisfied. There should be an effort to survey all customers and get a better more accurate picture.

what does this mean?
    Kevin's reply to customers who voiced their displeasure on his forum:
    "if I don't care for you guys, I won't keep the servers running, issue refunds ( as you know no chargeback can go through our merchant provider, originally you can't get your money back), now playing around in my forum, even you was not charged for the service fee."
    In english, please.

Secondly, I understand the hesiation to move. It's a pain in the behind, plus there is no guaruntee that the one you are moving to is going to be better.
    There does com a time when the pain of moving isn't as bad as where you are now. It looks to me like that time may have come.
    Not every hosts posts in these (complaint) threads just so that you will see their signature, but I am glad you caught on that some do. It shows you are intelligent.
    Now imagine a competitor of your business with really low prices, making people think you are overpriced, when in fact, you can't provide service you would be proud of for less. How would you feel if you were constantly hearing legitimate complaints about your cheaper competitor? I bet it would make you upset that the competitor is making the whole business in general look bad.
    That is why some hosts post what they do. They are right. Cheaper isn't better. but the customer is right too. More money doesn't always mean better either.
    Good Luck, to all.
    DANG DANG! DANG!!™
    I know ***** ripped off everybody else, but they wouldn't do it to me.
    "When you use bottom feed for bait, you are only going to catch bottom feeders."
    "You do what you are, and you are what you do."

deleted

The CPanel license has expired, now we can't get our emails either

Guess my bank will hear from me in a bit for a charge back
    ServInt is my host since 2004. Ask me about discounts.

posted by ATST
    Now imagine a competitor of your business with really low prices, making people think you are overpriced, when in fact, you can't provide service you would be proud of for less. How would you feel if you were constantly hearing legitimate complaints about your cheaper competitor? I bet it would make you upset that the competitor is making the whole business in general look bad.
    You make an excellent point. I have observed this very thing several times in the industry that I worked in for 20+ years. But again that doesn't mean the company offering those services can't afford to offer or can't perform. In fact that is what competition is all about, figuring out how to capture a portion of a market. Many of you remember the magazine "Computer Shopper", in the hey day of direct mail sales, Computer Shopper had 900+ pages of ads, all selling computers or computer components. It was always interesting to watch how various companies chose to attack that market. Some companies offer prices and terms and features that others just simply wouldn't do.
    Gateway was one of those companies. Another little company started with $1500 on two brothers credit card, that company captured the lion share of a specific component market. They advertised many things the other companies simply would not match. But their offers were real. When they hit 500 million in sales, no one would say they can't afford to do that. But when they started every one kept saying, "they can't do that, they can't offer that". Several other companies tried to do the same and within 1 or 2 years they were gone.

Again how does a consumer find out which company is reliable and delivers the services that they promise and advertise?
    We should start a hosting service good house keeping approval system. Participating member hosting companies, will send via a newsletter a survey that can be completed by the customer and then forwarded to the goodhosting service certification committee.
    Complaints can be registered via forms to the goodhosting service. And a stamp of approval that company xyz meets the minimum standards for the seal of approval. Sort of a chamber of commerce or a UL approval type thing. Each hosting company can carry the banner of being a approved/certified by goodhosting service co.

Nice thoughts but ..............

Why don't you just ... move on to a new host...
    It's not like Hostpacket is trying, they ain't even trying. Why bother?
    I choose not to use my signature for advertising.

It doesn't matter how much you claim how important your data is. If it's not backed up, it's not important.

Originally posted by mrmax
    Gateway was one of those companies.
    They failed to retain their foothold downunder here in Australia though.

We've still got one of their desktop systems, which ran out of warranty just as they closed up shop down here, but it's a great system and never misses a beat anyway.

Cheers

Gary

Originally posted by klisis
    Why don't you just ... move on to a new host...
    I can't move because I don't want to have 2 companies charging me for hosting. I have emailed kevin a few times, and posted numerous topics on the hostpacket boards requesting that my account be deleted and further charges halted.

He doesn't respond to email, he deletes our posts on the boards... Wtf should we do?

/mike

PS for my newest post view here.

Do a chargeback if he still charges you, but before you do it, you have to stop using his service.

I was with Hostpacket for a month in July. I got my account cancelled before the 30 days was up (although it was a couple of days so I might be cutting it close). Never did get a refund, but it's only $6.95 and no big deal. I had an account with Cyberwings before then ($21 for four months... before they bailed, I think).

Is it a big deal? Not really, just pack up your stuff and move on.

This is coming from an unemployed college student who only gets $20/week for lunch.
    It makes no difference which one of us you vote for. Either way, your planet is doomed... DOOMED!

Originally posted by The-Gorf
    PS for my newest post view here.
    When checking that link I get -

You have been banned from this forum
    Please contact the webmaster or board administrator for more information

Again, any motion to try to be 'unbanned' has been ignored (of course) by Kevin.

Originally posted by Cimara

When checking that link I get -

You have been banned from this forum
    Please contact the webmaster or board administrator for more information

Again, any motion to try to be 'unbanned' has been ignored (of course) by Kevin.
    The post he's linking says:

"Kevin, I am going to restate what I have said many times on this board, and by email.

I would like to cancel my account with hostpacket, my domain is www.gorfed.net and my account name is "gorfed". I do not wish to be charged in the next billing period (October 18th), or any further date after that. Please cancel and delete my account ASAP and confirm that my account is gone and I will not be charged again. I am not asking for a refund! I just do not want to be with hostpacket any longer. All my files are backed up, you have no reason to wait. Please take care of this today.

/mike"

There are no replies.

Originally posted by Myacen

Do a chargeback anyway, Kevin is bs you lot.
    There's no line in the sand on pricing really, there are hosts charging 20 and 30 or more per month who give crappy service and then there are budget hosts who give pretty good service, there's no number you can point at and say "if you pay less than that you're gonna be sorry" or "if you pay at least this much you'll be happy"

There is a point where it gets ridiculous though, $4 a year hosting won't work I don't care what argument they make that it will. Unless it's a favor or something, but not as a business plan.
    Gary Harris - the artist formerly known as Dixiesys
    resident grumpy redneck

I'm paying $32/mo would have paid $50 but thankfully I followed my gut feeling "just in case"

There are people that won't even get their money back.
    Someone prepaid for 12months and Kevin told him if he'll get 11 months refund only if he's not over the 30 days money back
    ServInt is my host since 2004. Ask me about discounts.

The Gorf's post at hostpacket states replies from HP that mention polite replies that his account has been cancelled right from the first request made.

Looks like they are making good on the request to cancel.

-WC-

Originally posted by WildCard
    The Gorf's post at hostpacket states replies from HP that mention polite replies that his account has been cancelled right from the first request made.

Looks like they are making good on the request to cancel.

-WC-
    Kevin disappeared for an entire month and now he says he will only give refunds if the customer is "polite"? I asked for help. No answer. I voiced my displeasure and now he won't give me a refund. Well, I posted to the Better Business Bureau, started my chargeback and am currently looking for a new host. I'm not gonna ask Kevin to pretty please give me a refund. He doesn't deserve that after what he's done. Polite was a month ago. Not anymore.

The extent of my displeasure was to ask him how he could go on vacation at a time like this? AND, please alert us to what is wrong with the service and what is going on to fix the problem. NOTHING. No reply. Now i'm a bad person?? Screw that. Hostpacket is history!

Am I thinking of the wrong host, but isn't Hostpacket the host with the cool website, really thick accent (which you can see in his writings), and the one that feels that people complaining were bad people trying to bring his community down?

I thought he had hired someone to do support for him that had perfect english and was working with people to get them satisfied? Doesn't he still work there anymore?

-WC-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast