Thread: Starting out

New York

Starting out

I've been considering becoming a reseller for sometime now and have a few questions about it.

1) What legal requirements are there for starting you're reselling business ie: state laws etc. or where would be the best place to look for state specific laws ?

2) Do many resellers offer domain registration also and how is that done?

Thanks For Any Help!

Hi cmahagan, I'm a total newbie myself but I would imagine you would register your business with your local government which would give you a permit and an obligation to pay taxes if any. You could always apply for a Federal Tax ID with the which has its benefits but you could just use your SS# instead. You would have to pay sales taxes for clients that live in your own state. I would say that's all the legal requirements involved unless you decided to incorporate which has some benefits. I just wonder how many actually do the above. You might get by until you start receiving a fair amount of clients in which case you should do the legalities.

You can also be a reseller for domain registration companies and integrate the service it into your hosting biz. is one such company.

If you have more specific questions your city government is a good place to start. Just ask them the specifics of getting a business permit.

Good luck!

As for the tax portion of your question the cheapest easiest way to get this done is just to go to your local Town Hall and get a DBA which is a Doing.Business.As. Then go to the bank get either a business or personal checking account under "Your Name D.B.A. Your Company Name" save all your receipts and keep tradck of your income and when tax time rolls around go see the tax man.

As far as domain registration I would suggest something like an Opensrs reseller account. This sets up really nice into your site and gives it a custom look as well as a way for your clients to logon and make there own DNS changes/updates.. Plus you can get one very cheap and the yearly rates are great..

Hope this helps..

If you plan on starting out as a reseller, you'll need to get a business license from your local state office, this will allow you to open up a business checking account or a personal account with a DBA attached to it. As your business grows, you'll want to incorporate, register with your local BBB, etc...

Don't forget, Uncle Sam wants his share
    Zeola Web Hosting :: For Resellers / Designers / Entrepreneurs
    Featuring the New Cpanel 5 w/ WebHost Manager & Online Stats
    * Host Unlimited Domains * 24 Hour Support * 30 Day Guarantee ||| 866.269.1306 ||| AIM ZeolaSupport

I'm having the same problems.. My friends and I are starting a hosting business, BUT one lives in canada, I live in kansas, and the other lives in PA.... How do you pay taxes/fines then?

Southern California
    Pick the most generous location for a home base, if you are equal partners, and you might want more than just a DBA (or Canadian equivalent). An actual partnership structure might save a few headaches down the road. Look into filing an LLC partnership, (or again, the Canadian equivalent). - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

Re: Starting out

Originally posted by cmahagan
    1) What legal requirements are there for starting you're reselling business ie: state laws etc. or where would be the best place to look for state specific laws ?
    If you're starting out as a sole proprietorship (just you, the business owner), you'll probably find most of the help you need at your local City Hall or County office.

If you're in the U.S., you might also want to check with your local Small Business Administration office (you'll find links to all regional offices here: and your local Chamber of Commerce (either check the phone book or start here, at the U.S. Chamber directory:

Hope this helps!
    Shirley Siluk Gregory
    The ebi Group
    Business Plans, Marketing Plans, Resource Guides and Research for Hosts and Resellers

Buffalo, NY, USA
    Hello everyone,

I was wondering about getting a Doing Business As License. Is there an age limit on that? I wasn't sure if you had to be 18 or not because I'm not. I live in Western New York if that information helps. Thanks

You have to be 18 to open a business, as you need to be able to form a contract and be bound to it.